The Rugby Thread

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: The Rugby Thread

Post by dtaai-maai »

Jaime wrote: Seriously, even though Walsh is a bit of a nob, I've watched the game numerous times and I can't see one of the decisions at scrum that was obviously wrong.
Interesting. Did you see one that was obviously right?
This is the way
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

Well yes - lots of examples of incorrect binding (many of which seemed to be called by touch judge, not Walsh), hooker popping up under pressure, delaying the put in, not scrummaging straight etc. But more importantly, you clearly don't agree and you think there were obvious examples of incorrect decisions, so tell me, which ones do you think were obviously wrong and why? Be specific please!

:cheers:

Croft's spitting was disgraceful too wasn't it..?
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Be specific? Are you serious? :laugh:

It was a rhetorical question, Jaime. As I said at the time, Wales won and won well. I'm not questioning that and you don't need to justify it. I've recovered from the well-deserved defeat. :cheers:

Just in case there's any doubt, let me state categorically - Wales were the better team on the day.

So when you said Walsh was a knob, did you mean a competent knob?

EDIT:
Croft's spitting was disgraceful too wasn't it..?
Yes, obviously, though I'm not entirely sure how it relates to Walsh's refereeing performance.
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Well, I've tried my best to keep away from this....... BUT: -

1. Walsh's interpretation of the scrum is not new, he's been around a while - why didn't England do their homework rather than bitch after the fact?
2. Top players and commentators alike are not going along with the BS that Rowntree is spouting. Quite frankly IMHO if he wants to make the complaint, do it. BUT do it directly to the IRB, don't spout cr@p to the press beforehand. In my personal opinion, he's let the English side, management and supporters down.
3. Wales played to the ref - England have failed to do so on a few occasions in the past. Noticeably against Scotland, again a Grand Slam decider in 1990 - again blaming the ref for their loss.
4. England did not lose, they were stuffed, by a far better team, and no, not just on the day. England were beaten in every facet of the game. Wales have been on the receiving end in the past!!
5. This was a great victory for Wales, well deserved and a day to remember..... unfortunately we now have to suffer this crap!!

Oh, and by the way..... of the very few English tries, how many were legal? Shall we blame the ref?

[EDIT] Also the BS with Croft spitting at Halfpenny..... Both guys are bloody good players and decent sportsmen. Halfpenny has already stated it is BS, so once again, people and press making mountains out of molehills..... i.e. talking b*ll*cks.

:cheers: :cheers:
Last edited by pharvey on Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

I agree the best team won :cuss: In a lot of sports these days managers and players blame other things rather than accept they were beaten by a better team.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Strange stuff here, PH!

'Walsh's intereprtation of the scrum'?

'Wales played to the ref'?

Like everyone I saw the game, I know who the better team were, no problem with that. My problem is with Walsh and your comments aren't exactly reassuring! He drags the game down and NZ saw the light years ago. Thats good enough for me.

And stop whingeing! :wink: :)
Talk is cheap
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

Rhetorical? You don't say Dtaai Maai? :twisted:

But my comments on Walsh are not really from a Welsh rugby fan's perspective - well, maybe they are a bit - but as you say, there's no need for me to justify the victory as it was the most complete Wales performance in my adult lifetime. I'm very comfortable with the fact Wales were deserving winners, Walsh or not.

No, my comments are mainly from the perspective of a ref who endures utter shite being spouted from the sidelines every weekend from people who clearly have no detailed understanding of the game and have never looked at the law book. For that reason, I am intrigued by the fact that so much scorn has been heaped upon Walsh but no actual reason given, other than the fact that England conceded more penalties during the game. As PH stated above - it happens. Wales has been on the end of those - in fact we were penalised heavily at scrum time against France and the reaction was 'let's get that right' - which they did in spectacular fashion!

PH - BTW, yes I'm aware that halfpenny has tweeted that Croft didn't spit on him (hard for him to tell with his face in the mud) but whether he did or not, the whole thing has been buried in the 'national' media in the UK. Hand on heart I think it might have got rather more coverage had it been Halfpenny apparently spitting on Croft! The video does look pretty damning though - what is Croft doing?
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

One thing we hopefully can all agree on is that this award for Halfpenny is fully deserved: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21902209

Surely a banker for the Lions tour and sure to play some part in the tests.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

WALES were the better team and deserved the high scoring win.

The level of critical press coverage is now reaching football (wendy ball to PH and others)levels. Next to follow will be player bad behaviour to refs and I'm sure diving will eventually be a regular part of the game.
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

Jaime wrote:One thing we hopefully can all agree on is that this award for Halfpenny is fully deserved: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21902209

Surely a banker for the Lions tour and sure to play some part in the tests.
Yes totally, but I think we would also have to agree that Wales were the deserving winners on the day & ultimately of the championship.
The display against us & the second half performance v Ireland were the stand out highlights of what was a pretty average tournament.

Unfortunately, the Walshgate affair is stealing a little bit of your thunder (outside of Wales :wink: }
He made a few questionable 'interpretations' & his overall performance wasn't the best.
He may well have made a few mistakes, as well as the touch judges.

I be more concerned about mistakes made by our players/management & the manner in which we lost.
Overawed by the occasion? (the crowd really was like a 16th man :shock: } lack of experience? just not good enough? :blabla:

As good a side as Wales are & they were absolutely superb on the day, we aren't that bad.
Accept the defeat, dust yourselves down & get on with it!!! :cheers:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^ Well said RZR!! :cheers: :cheers:
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

redzonerocker wrote:lack of experience?
That, IMHO, showed. The key is how they respond to that - man up or slink away? Hopefully, it will be turned into a positive.
Talk is cheap
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

With just over 4 weeks to go before the British Lions run out onto the turf of So Kon Po Stadium in Hong Kong to take on the Baabaas in a curtain raiser to the 3 Test series against Australia......... Warren Gatland names his 37 man squad. :dance: :dance: :clap: :clap: :dance: :dance:

A few surprise omissions/inclusions IMHO, but I guess there would be arguments for and against any squad picked.....

Have to say I'm somewhat disappointed with the omissions of Rory Best and Simon Zebo of Ireland - Zebo's injury suffered during the 6 Nations seemingly ruining his chances. No place for Billy Twelvetrees and Robshaw of England goes to show the competition for places.

I may well be biased being Welsh, but I'm amazed that James Hook is not going along - if not as a dedicated No. 10, then as a proven utility back...... not too sure if he's shagged the coach's wife, or simply shat in his coffee - what the hell has the man done wrong??!! Certainly not convinced that taking Owen Farrel is the correct decision.

I'm on the fence with Warburton as captain - personally I would have put O'Connell or BOD ahead of him.

Great to see Richie Gray of Scotland making the cut - indifferent form for club, but has had a great 6N.
Lions-Squad.PNG
:cheers: :cheers:

Will set-up the HHF Prediction League shortly for anyone interested......
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

AND no JW
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

richard wrote:AND no JW
I'm not overly surprised TBO, despite the fact that he completely outplayed Farrel on the weekend....

By his own admission, JW felt it better for the "new generation" to tour.

No. 10 is the weakness in this squad unfortunately....