Thai prisons.

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Thai prisons.

Post by arcadianagain »

I saw a piece on Sky News today that prison authorities are now releasing prisoners from their leg irons, starting with the main Bangkok jail. These irons can weigh 5 kilos.
BOZ
Professional
Professional

Re: Thai prisons.

Post by BOZ »

Ok and ........
Boz

Life is short, live it to the fullest!!!
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

BOZ wrote:Ok and ........

and if it`s true surely it shows a smidgin of humanitarianism, would you prefer thay stay in chains?
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

arcadianagain wrote:

and if it`s true surely it shows a smidgin of humanitarianism, would you prefer thay stay in chains?
This applies to prisoners on death row only. As far as I know no other prisoners in Thai jails are kept in foot chains.
A friend is only one click away
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

They have to wear them every time they go to court while on remand, and they go to court a lot only to be returned without their case being heard. Something like every 12 days they have to attend but their case doesn't have to be heard before 84 days. Something daft like that anyway, and that's when they're most likely to be seen by the media etc, so that probably contrbutes to the notion that they're always shackled.

SJ
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

Thats' right SJ. Prisoners certainly aren't shackled during visiting times either. But when visiting once I did see a bunch of them on the non visiting side of the fence in shackles while being moved - maybe on their way to court or maybe for show.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

I remember reading about this that all prisoners have to wear shackles when transported (where under to court). Dead row prisoners have to wear them all the time as killing a colleague prisoner or guard would not really change anything for them. And then all long term prisoners (like the ones in Bang Kwang sentenced to 25 years or longer) have to wear them for the first three(? or so) months. They probably want to see how a new prisoner behaves. And then they can put shackles back on for a certain period as punishment for offences like aggressive behaviour.
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Roel wrote:I remember reading about this that all prisoners have to wear shackles when transported (where under to court). Dead row prisoners have to wear them all the time as killing a colleague prisoner or guard would not really change anything for them. And then all long term prisoners (like the ones in Bang Kwang sentenced to 25 years or longer) have to wear them for the first three(? or so) months. They probably want to see how a new prisoner behaves. And then they can put shackles back on for a certain period as punishment for offences like aggressive behaviour.
Looks as though the UK prison service could learn a lot from the Thai practice.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

It's not unusual to see prisoners in the US wearing shackles in court.
nanyang
Professional
Professional

Post by nanyang »

arcadianagain wrote:

So please enlighten me as to why it isn't 'humanitarian' to put an offender in shackles.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

nanyang wrote:
arcadianagain wrote:

So please enlighten me as to why it isn't 'humanitarian' to put an offender in shackles.

Because better technology exists these days, and besides, shackles don't really achieve much other than hindering attempts of escaping, which shouldn't be possible in the first place in an adequately designed prison.

Regardless of whether the practice is right or wrong, it does no good for the image of a country in the modern world.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

No, you enlighten us.

Why would it be necessary to keep anyone who is locked in a cell also locked in shackles?

What offences would merit this?

At what age would you start?
This is the way
nanyang
Professional
Professional

Post by nanyang »

dtaai-maai wrote:No, you enlighten us.

Why would it be necessary to keep anyone who is locked in a cell also locked in shackles?
I worked in prisons from 1969 until 1995 - at the sharp end.

dtaai-maai wrote:No, you enlighten us.

At what age would you start?
In your particular case, given the shite you often spout on here, I'd recommend that your wrists be also shackled - at an early age.
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

Why so unpleasant? I take you go in for the Mr.MacKay school of screw rather than Mr.Barrowclough.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

nanyang wrote:In your particular case, given the shite you often spout on here, I'd recommend that your wrists be also shackled - at an early age.
:laugh: :cheers:
This is the way