Tourist Visa Questions

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
kelseyreichert
Rookie
Rookie

Tourist Visa Questions

Post by kelseyreichert »

Hello,

I've been living in Thailand for 1 month now. I have a 60 day tourist visa (I'm from the US) and I will be leaving Thailand on April 16. That means, after my 60 day visa is up, I will still need 4 more months of a visa. Questions:

- What is the best way to go about getting an extension/another visa? I know I can cross a border and get 30 days but can I do this three different times?

- If I cross a border by land, what do I need to do exactly to get another visa? Go to a Thai embassy in that country and apply?

Thank you for any help you can give me!

--Kelsey
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Tourist Visa Questions

Post by dtaai-maai »

Assuming you arrived around October 25th, my advice would be to go to HH Immigration a few days before your 60 days is up and get a 30-day extension (1900 baht?). That would take you to about 23rd January. A couple of days before that, get the overnight train down to Butterworth (book at least a week in advance) and walk to the ferry across to Penang. Ask for a single entry tourist visa at the Thai Consulate there. Plan for 2-3 days there, unless you want to spend more time in Malaysia.

You'll get another 60 days when you return to Thailand, which will take you to late March, then you can get another 30-day extension in Hua Hin.

Lomuamart will know if there are likely to be any problems getting a 2nd tourist visa in Penang.
This is the way
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Agree with the above. Get your extra 30 day extension here for 1,900 THB. If you apply a few days early, you don't "lose" any time as the extra 30 days will commence from the date your current permission to stay expires.
Then, option 1 as d-m suggests. I don't think you'll have any problem in Penang. If you've got a firm date return flight out of Thailand, submit a copy of that to show you're leaving and if you can get hold of any proof of funds (internet banking details) they'll help as well to show you can support yourself for the extra time.
Option 2 would be to go to Ranong and over to Burma and back for a 30 day visa exempt stamp. The trip can be done in a day from HH. There are no limits to how many of these 30 day stamps you can get but be aware that Imm may start asking questions after a few visits. Again, showing a flight out of here and proof of finances will help you on your way.
However you choose to do things, I can't envisage any problems with getting your extra time here. However, you'll be traveling quite a bit. Just relax and enjoy the change of scenery.
kelseyreichert
Rookie
Rookie

Post by kelseyreichert »

Thank you for your advice! It has been very helpful. I have more questions, feel free to ignore them if it's a hassle :)

- I was thinking of doing a visa run to Cambodia, as it is somewhere that I've wanted to go. Will this be more of a hassle or seemingly just as simple?

- Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I just want to make sure I have everything set before I do this, but, do I just walk into the Thai Consulate (with my passport, photos, airline ticket, bank statement) and ask for a tourist visa? As simple as that? I'm assuming once I do this, I'll have to fill out some application and wait a day or two?
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Again, I'm not aware of there being problems with getting visas in Cambodia. What you must realise is that there's no guarantee. An Embassy or consulate that is friendly one day may not be so helpful the next. I do think your ticket and some financial information will help anywhere though.
As far as applying is concerned. Yes, it's straightforward. Fill the relevant form in, supply passport, supporting documents and fee and wait for the result. Most missions will accept applications in the mornings with collection the next afternoon. I'm not 100% sure if that's the case with Phnom Penh.
If you don't get the visa, then return to Thailand on a 30 day visa exempt stamp.