Ko Tao ranked 10th "best island" in the world

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
PeteC

Ko Tao ranked 10th "best island" in the world

Post by PeteC »

Detail and criteria at link.

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/02/25/k ... land-world

Top 10 Islands in Asia:
1. Ko Tao, Thailand
2. Bali, Indonesia
3. Ko Phangan, Thailand
4. Ko Lanta, Thailand
5. Gili Trawangan, Indonesia
6. Boracay, Philippines
7. Phuket, Thailand
8. Palawan, Philippines
9. Ko Samui, Thailand
10. Langkawi, Malaysia

Top 10 Islands in the World:
1. Ambergris Caye, Belize
2. Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
3. Bora Bora, French Polynesia
4. Marco Island, Florida
5. Lewis and Harris, Scotland
6. Naxos, Greece
7. Aitutaki, Cook Islands
8. Nosy Be, Madagascar
9. Easter Island, Chile
10. Ko Tao, Thailand
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Ko Tao ranked 10th "best island" in the world

Post by StevePIraq »

great island, we go there regularly, the biggest hassle is getting there, the town where the catamaran pulls in is a bit of a hole with to many cheapskate backpackers in my opinion. diving at the south of the island is tops, loads to see and enjoy and the island is not expensive or over developed compared to Samui
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Merky
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Merky »

Glad to see good ol' Lewis and Harris making it up there!
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

Agree with that ,beaches on west coast of lewis and Harris are truly magical but don't spend Sunday in Stornaway!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

dundrillin wrote:Agree with that ,beaches on west coast of lewis and Harris are truly magical but don't spend Sunday in Stornaway!
Why? I looked it up and it seems like a very nice and picturesque little town. Is Sunday football hooligan day? Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

prcscct wrote:Why? I looked it up and it seems like a very nice and picturesque little town. Is Sunday football hooligan day? Pete :cheers:
Probably shut.
Talk is cheap
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

caller wrote:
prcscct wrote:Why? I looked it up and it seems like a very nice and picturesque little town. Is Sunday football hooligan day? Pete :cheers:
Probably shut.
No alcohol, perhaps? Surely enough to turn any peaceful Scottish community into a savage mob? :duck:

(Pete, shocking as it seems :wink: , until fairly recently, pubs were not allowed to open on a Sunday in certain parts of Wales)

Looks like I may have to cancel my plans for a back-packing trip to Stornaway this summer...
This is the way
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I think Ko Tao is a good choice for BB's next adventure and photo digest. :idea: Pete :cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:shock:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Wow, I've been to 4 out of the 10 best in the world. I can add a 5th easily by going to Ko Tao! :cheers:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

re Stornaway on a Sunday ---- There is strict observance of the Sabbath there,the Free Presbyterian Church (Wee Frees) is all powerful and virtually every business is closed although the Indian Restaurant is open. Things are slowly changing though and the ferry to the mainland now runs on Sunday. Do not let this put you off visiting the Western Isles or as they used to be called the Outer Hebrides. A great way to do it is to take the ferry from Oban to Barra. Barra is also well worth a visit, quite small, you could easily cycle round it in a day. While there go over the causeway to Vatersay and look out for the cows lying on the beach. When they get too hot they go into the sea to cool down,later in the afternoon when the sun has moved they cross over to the other side of the road to get to a different beach and repeat the process.Further along the road you will notice a beautiful war memorial, however it was pointed out to me that not everybody mentioned on it was dead! This is merely one example of the eccentric nature of the islanders. In the the evening back in Barra the Castlebay Bar is excellent.If you are lucky the Vatersay Boys band will be playing,they are really superb,probably best described as traditional meets Celtic Rock. When the piper kicks in it seems as the roof is coming off. Try to listen to their haunting Version of Shoals of Herring. You can also visit Barra by plane from Glasgow, Barra airport is unique in that landing times are dictated by the tides as the the plane lands on the beach. The view there is truly awesome. Continuing your tour by boat you will go to South Uist then travel up to North Uist. Then the ferry over to Harris then travel up to Lewis. The Scenery is fabulous. Try to meet the locals,you will find them laid back,charming and eccentric in a good way. If you have the opportunity to attend a ceilidh(pronounced kay-lee) do so. Traditionally it is an evening of dancing,singing and poetry reciting. The dances are usually called (explained) and you should manage a Gay Gordon or a Strip the Willow. Look out also for the Standing Stones of Callinish, not exactly Stonehenge but very impressive nevertheless. There is a good visitor centre (closed on Sunday,but they leave the toilet block open) In late July the Hebridian Celtic Festival is on in Stornaway. It attracts big names in the rock world such as Van Morrison. Complete your tour by taking the ferry from Stornaway to Ullapool. Go for it,you'll love it! Until you can manage Google the artist JOLOMO and you will get some idea of what awaits.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

dundrillin wrote:While there go over the causeway to Vatersay and look out for the cows lying on the beach. When they get too hot they go into the sea to cool down,later in the afternoon when the sun has moved they cross over to the other side of the road to get to a different beach and repeat the process...

...There is a good visitor centre (closed on Sunday,but they leave the toilet block open)
I'm sorry to take the mickey out of what is a very interesting post, but I had to have a chuckle at the above! Do you work for the Stornaway/Vatersay tourist board?? :laugh: :cheers:
This is the way
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

No,I've had 2 very enjoyable trips there and had so much fun there I could write a book about it. In fact when we move over in November I may just do that! What this space. Cheers
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

dundrillin wrote:...If you are lucky the Vatersay Boys band will be playing,they are really superb,probably best described as traditional meets Celtic Rock. When the piper kicks in it seems as the roof is coming off. Try to listen to their haunting Version of Shoals of Herring.
I watched the Vatersay Boys at the Loopallu festival in Ullapool a few years back and they blew me away. Fantastic live band :bow: Strangely though I find their recorded albums a bit mundane. The Peatbog Fairies and Shooglenifty are other names worth a listen.

Sorry..... :offtopic:
GN.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

While there go over the causeway to Vatersay and look out for the cows lying on the beach. When they get too hot they go into the sea to cool down,later in the afternoon when the sun has moved they cross over to the other side of the road to get to a different beach and repeat the process...
The place does sound amazing, but I'm not sure if the 'cow thing' would be on my list of to do's... :D

Cow on beach

Cow not on beach

:cheers: