Scuba Diving in Hua Hin

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
Merky
Rookie
Rookie

Scuba Diving in Hua Hin

Post by Merky »

Hello!

I've tried to find a thread on this forum about scuba but couldn't find one. I haven't been able to find much online either - can it be true that there is no scuba diving in Hua Hin?? If not would there be somewhere up the coast that anyone could recommend? I dived in Phuket years ago and it was one of the best places I ever have.
buksida

Re: Scuba Diving

Post by buksida »

Correct, no diving in Hua Hin. Closest place is Bangsaphan, 2 hours down the coast: http://bangsaphanguide.com/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Merky
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Merky »

Ah, brilliant thank you!

'Koh Talu Boat Tours: You can also charter your own boat trip to Koh Talu, the advantage being that you can get away from the crowds, go around the island, stop off at the beach and seek out your own snorkelling spots.'

Perfect! Has anyone done one of these before?
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Diving in Hua Hin Area

Post by Frank La Rue »

I did my diver's license on the Canary Islands and loved every 2nd.

I never dived in Norway due to the difference in temperate climate and consequently the fauna.

I can immagine that diving in Thailand with bottles should be quite spectacular allthough I don't hear about it a lot.
I only met some guys in Singapore once who had a diving club. If this subject has been exhausted elsewhere I appologize - but is there a diving community :idea: allong the coast and what is scuba diving like? :idea:
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Diving in Hua Hin Area

Post by Dannie Boy »

If you do a search, you will find that this subject has been covered many times and the net result is that there is no diving in the HH area - you need to travel 2 hours south to find the nearest suitable dive sites
chillax
Rookie
Rookie

Post by chillax »

There is no diving in hua hin!

Due to the lack of visibility , the sea is just to churned up here and we also have strong winds. The nearest place to dive is south in the chumpon region.
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

This will give you a clue.

Also rented boats at Bang Saphan many times. Great day out and cheap as chips.

Crazy 88
gotosteve
Amateur
Amateur

Post by gotosteve »

Just noticed a new diver training set up just south of Hua Hin at Pranburi. I don't know if I am allowed to name them (huahindivers). They do the theory either on site or at the students' hotel etc and then take you down to koh talu for the 2 days diving to complete the course. People who have never dived can also go diving on the DSD day.
buksida

Post by buksida »

That would make sense as the viz in Pranburi is about 2 inches and there is more marine life on the moon!

Koh Talu however is a little better: http://bangsaphanguide.com/koh-talu-marine-life.htm

Far better diving can be had in Chumphon where the viz can be up to 30 meters and the marine life is prolific (some say better than Koh Tao).
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Esmeralda
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Esmeralda »

Do you have a recommendation of tour groups/company leaving from Hua Hin to go to Koh Talu for diving?
buksida

Post by buksida »

Most of the tour companies in HH will offer snorkelling tours, if you want to dive you'll need to contact one of the Bangsaphan operators:
http://bangsaphanguide.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=3&t=859
Esmeralda
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Esmeralda »

Any local interest groups that just go on self-planned events? For snorkelling that is.
Thanks
buksida

Post by buksida »

As mentioned above, you can't dive or snorkel in Hua Hin so you'd need to go south to meet people that do!
Gambit
Novice
Novice

Re: Scuba Diving in Hua Hin

Post by Gambit »

That is a shame that there is no visibility to go diving, that is one of the reasons I like to live and vacation by the oceans living in Florida you get spoiled. Guess I'll have to settle on drinking Singha all day. 555
buksida

Re: Scuba Diving in Hua Hin

Post by buksida »

... or go further south.