Buying a Tuk Tuk

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Buying a Tuk Tuk

Post by Takiap »

Hi people

Just wondering in anyone knows where is the best place to buy a Tuk-Tuk, new or secondhand. Also any advice regarding prices would be appreciated. BTW, I'm talking about a regular 3 wheel version.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Buying a Tuk Tuk

Post by dtaai-maai »

Today a sam lau, tomorrow a tuk-tuk - next thing you know you'll be hurtling around in a Fortuner!

I'm sure there was a thread on this some time ago, but searching for tuk-tuk, tuk tuk and tuk produced no results... :?
This is the way
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

:thumb: Have no definite plans to get a Tuk Tuk but I might end up buying one if the opportunity arises. There's actually a Farang somewhere in the area that has a slightly modified one, complete with roll bar and etc. :laugh: :laugh: Problem is I've never managed to catch up to him with my sam lau, which if I might add, is the most practical "vehicle" I have ever owned. :thumb:

Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

Takiap wrote::thumb: Have no definite plans to get a Tuk Tuk but I might end up buying one if the opportunity arises. There's actually a Farang somewhere in the area that has a slightly modified one, complete with roll bar and etc. :laugh: :laugh: Problem is I've never managed to catch up to him with my sam lau, which if I might add, is the most practical "vehicle" I have ever owned. :thumb:

The owner of the "Jailhouse Restaurant" on Chomsin Road has one. Go see him, his name is Kurt and he is a nice guy.

A friend is only one click away
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Thanks. :thumb:
Chromeman
Professional
Professional

Post by Chromeman »

What is an "sam lau"? ;-)
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Chromeman wrote:What is an "sam lau"? ;-)
Phonetically, it would be pronounced 'sam lor' and simply means three wheels, commonly used to describe 3-wheeled vehicles.

They are used a lot as taxis in Isaan, especially

In Takiab's case, it refers to a moped with a sidecar, though these are normally referred to as a 'saleng', the word used for the sidecar part.
Attachments
sam lor.jpg
sam lor.jpg (84.64 KiB) Viewed 1221 times
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Would using a tuk-tuk to ferry folk around, (even family members) come under scrutiny from MiB, or even the tuk-tuk mafia..?
I've often thought it would be handy to have one with the pick-up type bed rather than full canopy & seating.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

A little info on this site
http://www.bangkok.com/magazine/tuktuk.htm
Apparently you need a special licence (expensive £££) to drive one and a foreigner can not buy a new one for use in Thailand
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Clown Eckie in Bangkok runs one but I think he had to jump through loads of hoops to enable him to own and drive one
Eckies motor.jpg
Eckies motor.jpg (10.96 KiB) Viewed 1107 times
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

Some friends. I think it was around 200000 baht for a new one.

YNWA
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

Interesting about special license for Tuk Tuk and farangs cannot own one.

My wife's sister has a Toyota Hilux pickup truck which we use driving around in Hua Hin, with kids and myself sitting at the back - quite pleasant as she is not driving too fast . It has a Tuk-tukie feel to it - could pick-up truck be an option?
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

usual suspect wrote:Would using a tuk-tuk to ferry folk around, (even family members) come under scrutiny from MiB, or even the tuk-tuk mafia..?
I've often thought it would be handy to have one with the pick-up type bed rather than full canopy & seating.
Some years ago, a farang living on an estate near my friends had one of those cheap Chinese made ones that he used to take his family out. He said it was OK out of town but he'd been warned by the Police not to do it in the city due to not having the correct licence.