Wood or aluminium window/door frames?

Ask here about the pleasures and pitfalls of buying, selling or renting property and real estate in Hua Hin. Building, design and construction topics welcome. Commercial or promotional posts for real estate companies or private properties are forbidden.
Gralee
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Wood or aluminium window/door frames?

Post by Gralee »

@hhfarang:
Thanks for those photos - that's what I'm looking for! There's a beer in that for you !!
Graham
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Yes, they certainly look much more attractive than white PVC covered double glazing but I've a suspicion that they would be quite pricey.
TonyB
Rookie
Rookie

Post by TonyB »

I designed 10 meters of hardwood frames floor to ceiling in three sections, each with full height double doors fitted with a very nice blue tint glass. The frames were made by a fellow a few km north of Cha-Am who's apparently the only framer many chan mai will deal with. Select blemish free and even coloured timber yourself including all mouldings, give him an accurate drawing of what you want. He will not install or give names of carpenters, you must have your own who can make accurate long cuts on his table saw at your home. I've had carpenters turn up with virtually no tools or skills and they don't last long.

Once installed with doors functioning and glazing (5mm and up, beveling is worth the extra cost) in place the wood must be finished after proper sanding with at least 3 grit sizes. I use tung or linseed oil depending on availability and the type of job interior/exterior mixed 2:1 with liquified beeswax/paraffin wax (heat it in a double boiler) then add a fair bit of mineral spirits. Get these components and do some experimenting, it's quite easy. The results are outstanding. I see wood shops plastering urethane and sparkly varnish on their stuff and wonder what they know abut wood. You could also add to the formula a preservative to kill termites and bugs, an AV blocker and a fungicide. Adding oil colours to the mix is easily done. Apply multiple coats, 3-6, it's as easy as wiping down the kitchen counter with a few days curing time between coats. Never strip or paint again. Refresh twice a year.

The beeswax acts as a water-repellent greatly helping the stop swelling and sticking windows and doors and the oil acts as a preservative. Wax alone works very well.

I'm midway stripping several doors urethaned a few years ago that have always annoyed me, done when I knew nothing about wood and the finished ones are looking gorgeous. Approx 20 man hours to strip and prep each door and worth every minute. Take a look at what they're doing here, a 20 year test on wooden window frames.

http://www.historycolorado.org/sites/de ... s/1113.pdf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drying_oils

Use the formula on all your tools to prevent rust, on handles for better grip, waterproof clothing, apply to engine components on your car (I'm working on a mix that includes a degreaser to clean and protect engine stuff in one application, don't know yet), house door locks, leather etc.

Have fun.
Psychic
Novice
Novice

Post by Psychic »

Little late here, but I just saw these frames today. Enquired about price versus regular white alumininum.
I was shocked that for a 2mx2m sliding patio door the total price was almost 4 times as much. This with 6mm green glass. Is this actually how much more this material goes for. I love the look but the price is scary.
gerryha

Post by gerryha »

Can only tell of my experience, when we had our house built we went for wood I agree it looks better but it does shrink, it does warp. Despite varnishing every year, after 5 years you could have pulled open most of the external doors with your bare hands and little effort even when they were locked. We switched to aliminum. It would have been cheaper to have done so initially and saved the double cost. Ours are brown and arnt jarring on the eyes
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

I too have aluminum doors, windows and screens ALL in brown. They look like wood from a distance and there is no need to trim them with wood as one might do with white aluminum. One year now after house built and still very satisfied. Key is to get as thick a profile of aluminum as possible.
razldazl69
Novice
Novice

Post by razldazl69 »

do you know where in BKK these high quality (wood looking ones in the pictures) aluminum doors and window can be purchased. they do look very nice
herrchibi
Novice
Novice

Post by herrchibi »

best thing to do is:
drive to bangkok. visit architect exhibition. its on until this sunday. all big companies are there. for anything you may need for construction. i found nearly everything i was looking for for my house. its really big and good there. impact arena.
kun Tam
Rookie
Rookie

Post by kun Tam »

i recomended for aluminium for windows and wood for doors.