TV Engineer Wanted

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Ken
Deceased
Deceased

TV Engineer Wanted

Post by Ken »

Can anyone help me, please. Looking for a tv engineer. A phone number would be great. Just want to install a booster as our cable tv and UBC can't both work well at the same time. Thanks.
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

Ken,

There is a guy on the corner of Nebkerhardt and the little soi that takes you towards my place roghly oppoesite 7/11. He fixes TVs.

If you explian a littel more about the problem I may be able to help and tell you where to buy the kit. There is a supplier of kit next to Cathay but you have to specifyu what you want before going there.

What you have described so far does not require a booster. You should be getting enough oomph to power three of four TVs from both sources at the same time. The number of TVs and the length of the cables is more relevant than the mixing of the signals. I am not sure about the J Sat decoder but I am running the UBC decodere which is joined to the cable input and then distributed to the four TVs without any problems. I think I may be approaching the limit though.

I'll try and get to talk to you later.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Guess wrote:I am not sure about the J Sat decoder but I am running the UBC decodere which is joined to the cable input and then distributed to the four TVs without any problems. I think I may be approaching the limit though.
Guess, have you figured out how to have one decoder box but get different channels on each of your TV's with UBC? I haven't, but I'm sure some inventive chap has, somewhere here, without having to pay for added boxes if you want to watch different channels thoughout the house. UBC has us by the anodes and I wish someone else would come in and challenge them seriously. Perhaps a coup hopeful wish? :D :cheers: Pete
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

Pete,

Yes I have but not put it to the test yet. There is a legal way and an illegal way. I am not sure that the legal way is available to the public or not. I would think that just telling them that you area guest house may suffice but watch out for increased charges before saying that. Maybe jusy say you are thinking of becoming a guest house in the future.

You basically need two decoders. One decoder will only knock out one channel at a time. It gets the signal in 10s of GHZ and puts it out to your TV at the same frequency whatever channel you watch. This is why you do not have to retune your TV.

There is a facility though for hotels and guest houses where you can get a number of decoders (one per TV) all stored in a central position and then some switching gizmo that feeds to the TV on more than one frequency which enables each TV to be be tuned to each station that you have subscibed to. With UBC their are many packages available. At one local hotel they had about twenty and from memory the monthly charge for each was about 800 baht. I do not know the installation charge but the decoders are about 3000 baht each.

Another way is to take your card up to Panthip Plaza and get what is necessary hardware wise and the guy will clone your card. That way every TV can run from a separate decoder that can be tuned to whatever you like. No monthly charge but in breach of your contract with UBC. It may be also possible to buy the switch that send the signal out in many frequencies which would require you to autotune your TVs to the channels you want.
Last edited by Guess on Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Thanks. With your disclaimers and warnings, we're OK here legally as well. No grand plan to defraud, just discussion concerning electronics and monopolies, soon to be illegal under the new constitution, I hope. Any Thai lawyers reading, BC me, we'll have a go. Pete :cheers:
Ken
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Ken »

Guess wrote:Ken,

There is a guy on the corner of Nebkerhardt and the little soi that takes you towards my place roghly oppoesite 7/11. He fixes TVs.

If you explian a littel more about the problem I may be able to help and tell you where to buy the kit. There is a supplier of kit next to Cathay but you have to specifyu what you want before going there.

What you have described so far does not require a booster. You should be getting enough oomph to power three of four TVs from both sources at the same time. The number of TVs and the length of the cables is more relevant than the mixing of the signals. I am not sure about the J Sat decoder but I am running the UBC decodere which is joined to the cable input and then distributed to the four TVs without any problems. I think I may be approaching the limit though.
I'll try and get to talk to you later.
Will go and see the guy. We have jsat, ubc and Cable for 6 tv's so think we have gone over our limit. Thanks for your help. Will keep you informed.