Hua Hin Jazz Festival & Asia Jazz 2014

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Re: Hua Hin Jazz Festival 2014

Post by Pleng »

Well I went down there last night and it was an... experience

The MCs were a well dressed man and woman but, even with this advantage, they still managed to be even more irritating than the "drag queen plus short fat lady" you would get at a more Thai style event!

Between each act the MCs would come on stage and interview the bands asking why they loved Thailand and Hua Hin. The bands, many of whom didn't speak very good English, were totally unprepared for the questions - the organizers really should have warned them in advance - I cringed several times as they were asked essentially the same questions over an over again and vague responses were pretty much the order of the day. One band were even asked what it was they loved about Hua Hin even though in answer to the previous question they'd said that they'd only just arrived ans weren't going to get to see any of the town until the next day.

While I was there the MCs said on two occasions that they loved tourists from all countries "because you help our economy". And in a bit to prove how safe Thailand was, they advocated going out for a walk alone at 3 in the morning.

There was also a lot of spiel about how they love all nationalities and used the fact that have never historically invaded another country as an example of this (like they'd have the time to fight with other countries considering all the in fighting going on!)

The music itself was pretty OK, apart from the last act which was meant to be some Thai-style fusion band. Thy called themselves "Sounds of Siam", which sounds like the name of an album you might have expected to find in the bargain basement of you local music store, back in the day when people did that kind of thing. And their music, while well played, sounded incredibly generic.

A special mention goes to the lighting director; regardless of where we were located, and standing or sitting down, the flash-lights that went around managed to temporarily blind bot me and my girlfriend on several occasions.

There was no problem getting a cold beer, though there wasn't much food available.
TheBludger
Rookie
Rookie

Post by TheBludger »

Contrasting others above. I had a simply wonderful night.
Great music, a hot night and some wonderful entertainment. I may put up a review and pictures later.
Posters should note that this was the Hua Hin Jazz Asia night of Jazz. First time held in HH. It is unfair to compare it to a 3 day international Jazz Festival.
dozer
Ace
Ace

Post by dozer »

Yes, I agree it was a good event, well organized, some surprisingly good artists, all in all a great night.
Atheists have no need of a god. Our lives are not based on fear or guilt. We are moral because we know it's right.

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity. R J Hanlon
TheBludger
Rookie
Rookie

Asia Jazz May 2014. Review

Post by TheBludger »

Hua Hin Asia Jazz 2014 - this is not the Hua Hin Jazz Festival. Separate events

Held on a hot airless night May 10, 2014. Overall a pretty good night out.
The stage was set up on the sand in front of the Centara Hotel. This provided a nice sandy area to stretch out and enjoy the night. Entry was free and there was a bottle search before entering. This seemed to be to keep glass out, not necessarily to keep alcohol out. Beer in cans could be carried in.
There were not many options for food. Best to get food from the vendors around the car park before entering the seating area.
There was a good sized crowd, I am not good at estimating numbers, maybe 500? I suspect that the promoters may have been disapointed in numbers, but it is low season and Hua Hin is not super busy with tourists. It was easy to find a patch of clear sand near the stage. The crowd was a mix of Thai and Foreigners.
Without going through a detailed review here are some of the highlights.
The first act, Banana Grooves from Laos, played some easy listening Jazz. A nice opening to the night. The band were obviously having fun and brought the audience along. They were a bit late to start, but hey this is Thailand.
Then the opening speeches. Kept fairly brief. Plenty of plugs then and throughout the night for the Tourist Authority which sponsored the event. The MC's very openly stated that Tourism is important for Thailand and that this and other events were part of the task of attracting visitors. Cannot argue with that.
The next act, Vie Trio, started a theme that continued through out the night. Have a couple of attractive women on stage and at least half your audience will forgive you for many things. I am not sure that they played Jazz, to me it was more classical, but the boundaries between the styles can be fairly fluid. At times I kept thinking of Bond a quartet of 4 women who play jazzed up classical music. Overall they were fun.
Between acts a male and female pair of MC's kept up a patter and some drivel and interviewed the performers. Credit to them, they talked in both Thai and English to ensure that one part of the audience was not disenfranchised. They were borderline nauseating, but better than watching roadies change the set.
Next up Dan Williams quartet. Obviously Dan is a gifted guitarist. A nice set, he didn't quite pull off the gifted musician playing for his own benefit with eyes closed enjoying his own sounds, but he came close.
Next we had Richard Jackson, Yuki Makita with Melon Motif. I didn't quite follow this line up. Yuki is obviously a keyboardist of some ability. At first there was another lady, whose name I did not get, on vocals. They played some fine jazz and mentioned that their set was cut short. I thought that it was due to weather as a storm was threatening. But the storm bypassed us.
Then the lady left the stage and Richard Jackson came on. The whole band seemed to lift a notch. No two notches. This was a fine jazz act, with a powerful singer and an onstage performance that makes him stand out. It was jazz at it's best. A dynamic performance that left you wanting more. It was a shame when he left the stage and the lady came back. She is a good singer but after seeing greatness she was left in a shadow.
I took a toilet break at this stage and filled up with some more beers. Toilets were a walk back to the beach entrance. Not a real hassle, but some would complain about how far they had to walk.
I came back to Fried Pride from Japan. They were good. Solid Jazz Guitar, played well. The guitarist was a master craftsman. A joy to listen to. Some very refined and excellent music with a pretty good singer. A great performance.
Next up Koh Mr Saxman and Pui Duangpon from the Voice and the sound of Siam. I don't follow TV shows like the voice so I was not sure whether to be impressed by the eye candy or not. It was a great performance and Mr Saxman is obviously a great Sax player. At one stage he was joined by a special guest from France, Philip(e) somebody or another. They played some great improvisational Jazz together, although I suspect that it wasn't impro and that it had been rehearsed. The rest of the band were kind of like sore thumbs, not sure if they were needed. They featured some traditional instruments and as far as I know played them well. I clapped.
Over all a great night. There were some very obvious problems with the sound. Some feedback, variations in volume, mixing not always balanced etcetera. Also the link between the video in the background and who was actually playing was a bit hit and miss. Sometimes the back of a person's head was the highlight. Hey but these are minor issues. Full credit to Hu Hin Municipality, Prachuap Khiri Khin District and Tourism Thailand for putting on a lovely evening of entertainment.
If this event comes up again, it will be worth your while to go and listen.
Big Boy

Re: Hua Hin Jazz Festival & Asia Jazz 2014

Post by Big Boy »

Just found this on the web (posted about 2 hours ago):
Jazz.jpg
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
buksida

Post by buksida »

Where did you find that? Any more info?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I found it from a very reliable Facebook source, so I won't expose him on here (I'll provide that via PM). I've never had duff information from him yet.

Unfortunately, he doesn't have any more detail yet, but be sure when its available, he will publish it first.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

It doesn't say the location but there is normally the annual Honda Jazz Fest which is held on the beach in Khao Takiab, maybe it's that ?
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Passion4Share, the creative agency, has withdrawn from the 2014 Hua Hin Jazz Festival. On the official Hua Hin Jazz Festival facebook page, the organizer informs jazz and music lovers about the withdrawal from the jazz festival. This year’s Hua Hin Jazz Festival sadly is the next victim of cancellation, after a serial of other concert cancellations, including Taylor Swift.

Passion4Share has decided, after a recent government meeting, to withdraw. A lack of confidence in organizing a quality event is the reason. It might be possible that the government plans to stage a minor local one evening event later in the year. No details have been shared.

Some of the Hua Hin hotels and resorts gratefully granted support to the organizer with competitive room rates and other benefits, exclusively booked on online travel agency, EZY-Go. Sadly the local situation declined the common travel interest. Despite the coup is peaceful and life continues as usual, people do not want to take any risks to bring family or groups here. Possible risks are just too high and uncontrollable. Disappointing it is for all the fans planned to attend this unique jazz festival and now must miss this unique experience.

“Customers trust us for the creative, marketing and production services that we deliver. When it comes to the stage where there is not enough confidence, it is better to make a responsible decision. Respectfully we decided to give back the festival to the government, who further decide on its strategy for this year. We hope that we we can work on better circumstances in 2015, says William Kuipers, CEO for the creative agency, Passion4Share. We might look with partners to possibly organize a luxury set up later in the year or transfer them into other events. Any events will be announced on the Passion4Share Facebook page."

http://www.incentivetravel.co.uk/news/v ... z-festival
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
TheBludger
Rookie
Rookie

Hua Hin Jazz Festival & Asia Jazz 2014 on or off?

Post by TheBludger »

Just spent a some time trawling various web sites.

Can anyone definitively say that the event is cancelled. The fact that passion4share has withdrawn does not necessarily mean that the event is canceled.

This site (Inspire e-magazine) for example says that there is a limited event on Saturday July 26th at Suan Luang Rachinee 19 Rai park from 17:00-23:00 hrs. Certainly not what we all know as the HH Jazz Festival, but a shortening of the program and relocation.
[Mod Edit] Links to rival publications not permitted.
Maybe that is an old posting?

When I visited HH last weekend, there was certainly no obvious advertising, and the local media did not mention it.

Any updates from people who know?
buksida

Post by buksida »

As usual it is a Pattaya newspaper that has more news on Hua Hin than the useless rags you get here ...
jazz.jpg
jazz.jpg (22.79 KiB) Viewed 2686 times
Back to the swing of things for the Hua Hin Jazz Festival 2014
The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) will be one of the main supporters of this year’s “Jazz Up Hua Hin” Jazz Festival 2014, now one of the kingdom’s most influential music events, held annually at the popular beach resort on the Thai gulf.

Jointly presented and organised by BOFFO Thailand and the Hua Hin Municipality, this year’s jazz event will be held on Saturday, 26 July, 2014, at Suan Luang Rachinee 19 Rai park from 17:00-23:00 hrs. and is free of charge for all jazz lovers, both local and international.

TAT Governor Thawatchai Arunyik said, “The Jazz Up Hua Hin Jazz Festival 2014 will breathe new life into Thailand’s jazz scene by bringing together local and international talent including some big names. The Festival is aimed to jazz purists, the people who know their Billie Holiday from their Benny Goodman rather than just general music fans.

“So, the organisers have invited some of the world’s best jazz singers and musicians to ensure that this is a high profile music festival that will further enhance Thailand’s image as synonymous with jazz as it is with beaches and cuisine.”

The Festival will also offer a platform for home-grown jazz talent, with some of the best Thai bands and performers have been invited to play. One of the best known of these is Saxophone Madness, a popular local group who will open the event with their unique sax-based music.

Overseas performers include Steve Cannon, the world’s leading trumpeter from the United States, who will play a tribute to his hero Chet Baker, the legendary American jazz trumpeter and vocalist from the age of ‘Cool Jazz.’ Also on the bill are Jazz Stars Battle, The Travellers as well as Infinity and Soul After Six, one of the kingdom’s leading jazz bands.

The Travellers are a combo-style jazz band from Japan recognised by jazz purists for their magical improvisation, and they made an impact in the kingdom when they played at Chiang Mai’s ‘Fat Fest’ event.

Infinity has been Thailand’s leading jazz fusion band for over 25 years and is a role model for all of the kingdom’s young jazz musicians. Over the years, they have made a name for themselves internationally and their album, “Andaman Day”, which celebrated the beauty of Thailand’s coast, was a great advert for Thailand.

Soul After Six, are a local jazz band who are celebrated for fusing traditional jazz styles with elements of pop and rock.

The TAT Governor said, "We hope the Jazz Up Hua Hin Jazz Festival 2014 will attract both local and international jazz fans to Hua Hin. There is a great deal for them to enjoy at this beach resort. On top of the music festival, there are many fine restaurants in the town, lovely beaches and many wonderful attractions to visit. Everyone who comes is sure to have a wonderful time."
jazz2.jpg
jazz2.jpg (34.65 KiB) Viewed 2686 times
http://www.pattayamail.com/travel/hua-h ... 2014-38484

More: http://jazzfestivalhuahin.com/
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

great news and we don't have to put the waders and there is toilets avalible,have already put it in
my calender :dance: :dance:

:cheers: :cheers:
buksida

Post by buksida »

hhjf14.jpg
gerpies
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gerpies »

Looks promising..

Am I correct in thinking that Suan Luang Rachinee Park is the beachside park next to Sip Gow Rai (19 Rai Park)? Close to the beach end of Soi 19?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Programme has been released:
Jazz.jpg

Points 48; Position 18