Thai PM: "Women in bikinis aren't safe, unless they're ugly"

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Re: Women In Bikinis Aren't Safe - Unless They Are Ugly

Post by MrPlum »

pdm3547 wrote:This is what fascinates me about the Thai. Any politician in the UK would be absolutely slammed for making such a suggestion, but it seems OK in other parts of the world!
Thais don't have an issue with telling someone they are fat, to their face. It surprised me when I first came here. 'Where is the political correctness?' I wondered. On the other hand, when flabby westerners wander around with no shirt on, they don't say anything, although we know they find it inappropriate and unattractive.

Confusing.
charlesh
Ace
Ace

Re: Thai PM: "Women in bikinis aren't safe, unless they're u

Post by charlesh »

Yes they do Mr P according to my wife. They refer to them as being impolite and as for the current defacto PM - he is probably correct ha, ha. Haven't you heard the expression wouldn't go near them with a 40 foot pole (sorry to offended poles).
musungu
Professional
Professional

Re: Tourists murdered on Koh Tao

Post by musungu »

richard wrote:When I'm on the bog and I've run out of loo rolls I always pick up The Sun, The Daily Mail or the Daily Express. That's where they rightfully belong. Down the crapper

Then why do you buy those papers if you consider them rubbish?
Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Richard has already explained that he doesn't buy those papers. He picks them up at reception after they have been left by visitors!!!!!
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I know this is on the beach, but my wife has always complained about tourists walking around town away from the beach, on nearby downtown streets, or even occasionally in the mall in swimwear and uncovered. She says that is highly frowned upon in Thai society.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I must tell you this story which happened a few years ago.
I was sat in the old 'Boat' when it was near the night market. It was late morning and the restaurant was quite full of expats. Then a blonde, who was very nicely put together, walked by in a bikini. Obviously a long way from the beach. All conversation stopped abruptly and a dozen or more pairs of eyes followed her along the road until she was out of sight. The silence was broken by some guy saying "That's bloody disgraceful!!!"...... lol
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Talking of police controlling the beach. I was at a beach in Canada and some teens were playing Frisbee very athletically. Running among family groups shouting, churningup the sand, but not doing much harm. After a while two cops arrived, asked to see the Frisbee and told them that they were taking it to the station to check that it conformed to govt standards and that they could collect it in a few days,
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

I call it Thai directness Thai's will give you a strait to the point statement or question you on things that you would regard as personal it's culture difference. I have read on the other thread that this acting PM has once again apologised now who would have thought that.
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
m_right
Guru
Guru

Post by m_right »

Outrageous! Everyone knows it is safe for women to go anywhere wearing a bikini.
"Religion is What Keeps the Poor from Murdering the Rich" -- Napoleon Bonaparte
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

MrPlum wrote:
pdm3547 wrote:This is what fascinates me about the Thai. Any politician in the UK would be absolutely slammed for making such a suggestion, but it seems OK in other parts of the world!
Thais don't have an issue with telling someone they are fat, to their face. It surprised me when I first came here. 'Where is the political correctness?' I wondered. On the other hand, when flabby westerners wander around with no shirt on, they don't say anything, although we know they find it inappropriate and unattractive.

Confusing.
They also don't have an issue with referring to an African man as "That black man". If kids are born with dark skin you can be sure that they will be called 'Ai Dam' or 'E Dam' depending on their sex... by their own family no less. They will be bullied and made to feel inferior because of their skin colour. This goes for overweight kids too (How many times have you heard a kid being called 'Oun'...sounds like 'oowan' :wink: ). I hate kids that are overweight, but it's not their fault... it's their brain-dead parents feeding them shite food.

"Thailand - The hub of racism and stupidity". I've no idea why someone would want to marry one??? Just lonely I imagine.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

GLCQuantum wrote:"Thailand - The hub of racism and stupidity". I've no idea why someone would want to marry one??? Just lonely I imagine.
If I recall correctly, your long-standing Thai girlfriend left you. I can't begin to imagine why.
This is the way
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

If I recall correctly, your long-standing Thai girlfriend left you. I can't begin to imagine why.
Careful, DM. I know much more about that situation but not to be aired on this forum.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

HHTel wrote:
Careful, DM. I know much more about that situation but not to be aired on this forum.
In which case you know 100% more than I do and you've just made it much more of an issue than it was meant to be.

I have no wish to rub salt into the open wounds of anyone on this forum or anywhere else - God only knows we've all had our personal disasters. My only point is that you can't cast aspersions on an entire nation - and on all westerners who are in very successful relationships with Thais - because of your own unfortunate experiences.
GLCQuantum wrote: "Thailand - The hub of racism and stupidity". I've no idea why someone would want to marry one??? Just lonely I imagine.
Your 'be careful' advice would be better given to GLCQ, who constantly makes sweeping and offensive generalisations like this without thinking them through.

On another current thread you say this about GLCQ:
HHTel wrote:Not sticking up for his comments but I've been to his school and met the teachers (and some very important ones in the hierarchy) and he has more respect than he can handle.
I'm quite happy to take your word for that, but I can only assume they don't read this forum.
This is the way
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

:offtopic: Can we please keep the personal slurs off the board and stick to the topic material.