Surat Thani orders beach parties ban

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Big Boy

Surat Thani orders beach parties ban

Post by Big Boy »

Love them, or hate them, this will be yet another nail in the coffin for Thai tourism in the short term. These parties attract visitors of all ages (I know somebody in their late 50s who went a few weeks ago), and provide employment to a lot.

Full story: Bangkok Post
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Surat Thani orders beach parties ban

Post by dtaai-maai »

Big Boy wrote:Love them, or hate them, this will be yet another nail in the coffin for Thai tourism in the short term.
To be honest, I doubt it. In the short term, most people have already made their plans. In the longer term, how many people are going to change their plans because of this? Maybe a handful, maybe none. The Big One, the Full Moon Party on Koh Phangan, is not being cancelled. And, of course, "cancelled indefinitely" in Thai officialese means "until we reinstate them or start looking the other way".
This is the way
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm not so sure. We've had a few of my son's friends passing through on their way to a smaller party because the Full Moon Party on Koh Phangan already carries a lot of bad press, and they were basically afraid.

Time will tell, as with most things at the moment, I suppose.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
taffinexile

Post by taffinexile »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... s-ban.html

According to the tab above, from UK Daily Mail, only the Full Moon party will go ahead, all others cancelled
In my time of dying all want for you to do is take my body home..... so I can die easy
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

BB, tell John's friends there is no need to be afraid of the Full Moon parties. When I first went to one I was really hoping it would be everything I had read, and to a certain extent, I was disappointed. :oops:

Nevertheless, I had a great time and have been several more over the years and have never encountered or seen any serious trouble. They seriously are nothing like the press makes them out to be, and like you say, people of all ages go to these parties.

Will this beach party ban affect tourism? Maybe not directly, but sooner or later it's going to be a matter of "the straw that broke the camel's back", particularly when it comes to the younger tourists. They might not be big spenders, but their numbers make up for that.

Two of my mates in Scotland used to visit Thailand at least once a year, and both of them used to spend a fortune when they were here. They have not been back for three years now, and apparently have no intention of visiting again. They're not concerned about political issues or any such thing either, but they say Thailand is just not the same fun place it once was when they first came here. I wonder how many others there are who feel the same way. :(
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

While the parties may not be what brings people, when people here in the states find out about my travels there, the parties are always one of the top questions and things they heard about
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.