NASA Rocket explodes on launch

Discussion on science, nature and technology across the globe.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

NASA Rocket explodes on launch

Post by hhfarang »

Just seeing TV reports and some dramatic footage of an unmaned NASA rocket launch exploding on liftoff.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
pharvey

Re: NASA Rocket explodes on launch

Post by pharvey »

Not a great deal of information, but certainly a fairly big bang...........

An unmanned supply rocket bound for the International Space Station has exploded during its launch from the US state of Virginia.
Antares, a 14-storey rocket built by Orbital Sciences Corp, combusted seconds after leaving the seaside launch pad at Wallops Flight Facility.
No-one was hurt and the cause is being investigated.
Frank Culbertson, Orbital Sciences vice-president, promised a rocket would fly again from the same site.

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Think it was 'bar talk' but heard someone pressed the abort button too soon and therefore danger to surrounding areas
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
pdm3547
Professional
Professional

Post by pdm3547 »

richard wrote:Think it was 'bar talk' but heard someone pressed the abort button too soon and therefore danger to surrounding areas
No. Not that.

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2014/10/ ... er-launch/
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

"It is powered by a pair of AJ26-58 engines, which are themselves reconditioned NK-33 engines left over from the Soviet Union’s cancelled N-1F rocket. The USSR abandoned the N-1F in the early 1970s after all four test flights of a prototype, the N-1, ended in failure."

According to TV news, the actual engines were built in the 60's in the Soviet Union that have been stored in Russia ever since until they were bought by NASA. These same engines were failures in the Soviet space program but Nasa thought they should recondition and use them! :shock: :? :? :?
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

These same engines were failures in the Soviet space program but Nasa thought they should recondition and use them!
It's not NASA themselves, Orbital Sciences are a private company contracted to fly supply missions to the ISS. It does seem odd to use old engines that have been hanging around for decades and weren't even succesful to start with, I suppose they must have been cheap.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

^ yeah, brings to mind the saying "you get what you pay for"... how much did the crash cost?
RODERICK
Rookie
Rookie

Post by RODERICK »

Tom..... trying to get your correct email address... used the one I thought was correct T..H..H @ etc etc..didn't work... Sent you mine but the monitor, etc won't let it go through.... Help !! Rod Please call the wife in Bangkok and give her the correct e-mail address..

Rod
North Carolina