Moving back to home country after living in Thailand

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Moving back to home country after living in Thailand

Post by hhfarang »

Several members have expressed interest in my experiences and feelings of relocating back to the U.S. after living in Hua Hin for 10+ years so I thought I would do that in this new thread.

I've been in the U.S. looking at homes for sale in the city we chose for ten days now and just signed a contract on a property we've decided on. We took a big gamble in chosing a city we knew nothing about except what I found from research on the internet, and I wasted the first six of those ten days looking in an area that turned out not to be where we wanted to live even though the homes were nice and well priced (around the equivelent of 4 million baht).

My realtor finally figured that out and suggested an area on the opposite side of the city where we would have to pay a little bit more and give up two of our searh criteria, which was age of home and a garage. Three days later we have signed a contract on what appears to be a wonderful home in a wonderful neighborhood. The home is 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, 165 square meters of living space, land about 1400 square meters, and we got it for the equivalent of 4.9 million baht. That's nearly a million more than I was hoping to spend for a bit smaller home than I was hoping to get but for the area a good deal on a house that is 31 years old but completly renovated in the last 2 years.

My impression of the city is that it is the cleanest big city I've ever seen, people are friendly, and the weather has given me nearly all the seasons I have been missing in the last 10 days! The high temperature today is 75F (or 24C) while the lows at night have been around 50F (10C) which is near perfect for me. I literally have not shed one drop of sweat since arriving. :D I will get a taste of winter starting tomorrow as a cold front is coming through and the highs are predected to be 7C with nightime lows of -2C. I've been wearing shorts and t-shirts up until now just like in Thailand, but when I heard about the change coming I ran down the street to Walmart and picked up 3 pairs of long pants (14 dollars each and easy to find my large size) and a cheap jacket.

Here are some photos of the house and neighborhood:
DSC00853 (Medium) (Small).JPG
DSC00856 (Medium) (Small).JPG
DSC00857 (Medium) (Small).JPG
DSC00859 (Medium) (Small).JPG
DSC00863 (Medium) (Small).JPG
DSC00926 (Medium) (Small).JPG
Now the real stress starts... the move. We have a double move coming, some stuff up to a house we own in Loei, and a 20 foot container back to the U.S. I hate moving and hope this will be my last one! :|

To be continued... :cheers:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
pdm3547
Professional
Professional

Re: Moving back to home country after living in Thailand

Post by pdm3547 »

Tom,

I'm genuinely delighted that you've found somewhere you can be comfortable in. That said, I'll be sorry to lose a (budding) Chang partner and hope you will get in touch for a swifts one lunchtime when you are back in HH.

Best of luck, my friend,

PDM
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

pdm3547 wrote:Best of luck, my friend
Ditto Tom!!

:cheers:

SJ
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

pdm, we should be able to get in a couple of beers or lunches. It'll take a while to wind up business in Thailand.

SJ, I was getting worried about you or thought maybe you moved back home... haven't seen any posts from you in a while! Happy to hear from you and know you are ok.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Glad you found what you want!! People I know who have lived/spent time in NC always like it!!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Yes, I hope it turns out well for you. Just out of curiosity, what made you decide to buy a house in an area that you've no experience of?
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

:cheers: :cheers: Well done. Hope it works out fine for you. Keep them posts coming to keep us all in touch. Who knows, some may wish to follow your example in years to come. You know 'Paradise' can sometimes become tarnished with age.
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

We've never met in person, but from reading your posts, it was clear that you were becoming increasingly unhappy here in Thailand, so I'm very happy for you and your wife. Hope you both settle in nicely and that you both get to enjoy your golden years together.

As others have said.....please keep on posting. :cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Area code 704--Charlotte NC
Good choice, pleasant Carolina climate, but far enough inland to reduce Hurricane damage.
Nice people, fatty food.
Hope its the answer, Good luck Y'all.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

HHF

How is availability of Thai food ingredients? I remember in Maine we had a few small Asian markets that could get a limited amount, but since most handled all Asian nations, Thai was pretty limited!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

House looks great :thumb:

Good luck in the next chapter of life. :cheers: :cheers:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Huh, I see you must have Thai neighbors / neighbours already, as they have parked the car facing the "wrong" way. :rasta:

Good luck Tom, I hope it works out for you! :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

Happy for you HHF, another chapter starts.

Keep contributing with your sensible posts.

Good Luck and be lucky!
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Hi Tom, haven't lunched for far too long, but it would be good to see you and Mrs T before you go for good.

What about an 'open' lunch some time for all those who'd like to wish you well?
This is the way
Dianne
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Dianne »

It looks like a very nice house, inside and out. I've heard good things about the area. It sounds like a good start for a new adventure.