Govt to increase alcohol tax again

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Govt to increase alcohol tax again

Post by Bristolian »

If the illegal, under the covers, gambling, on sports events only, could be legalised ( we know that there is no chance when money can be made by those who turn a blind eye or profit directly) then not only could sports be financed but so could a health system that would be the envy of SE Asia.

But then I woke up. It was only a dream and not even on the radar screen of anyone of influence. TIT

Let's add to taxation because it's easy and the "in power"
can continue unimpeded.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Pleng wrote:Sports Fund?? :?
My thoughts exactly, if people want to amuse themselves playing sports, they should pay for it themselves. I certainly don't expect others to finance my leisure activities.
buksida

Post by buksida »

I think something was lost in translation in that article ... though here is another one that really doesn't explain what the 'Sport Fund' is ...

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politic ... 54721.html
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

buksida wrote:I think something was lost in translation in that article ... though here is another one that really doesn't explain what the 'Sport Fund' is ...

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politic ... 54721.html
The only thing that I can think of is that it might be something aimed at compensating organised sports, like soccer leagues, from lost revenue due to restrictions on advertising for alcohol and tobacco products.( I think they're restricted.)
I'm pretty sure that the only reason Chang sell drinking water is so that they can get around some of those restrictions.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Hua Hin and several other football clubs sport LEO on the front of their shirts. Does LEO have an alternative to beer?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Leo IS an alternative to beer...
This is the way
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

So LEO is the brand name of beer only. which is strange if, "restrictions on advertising for alcohol and tobacco products" is correct.

Points 41; Position 18
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Big Boy wrote:So LEO is the brand name of beer only. which is strange if, "restrictions on advertising for alcohol and tobacco products" is correct.
Yes, I was just trying to think of a justification for why a sport fund would be required, I thought that there were restrictions on alcohol and tobacco products on TV but I've never been near to a football ground so I don't know what happens there. Do they advertise such things on hoardings?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I used to think the same as you Steve. However, LEO is on every shirt
shirt01.png
Last season, it was definitely on advertising hoardings, but I've just looked at dozens of hoardings, and it doesn't seem to be displayed on them this season.

Points 41; Position 18
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Well if sports are already getting some of my vacation beer budget, they don't need another 2%!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

You'll have to pop along to Fort Thanarat to get your money back :wink: Maybe if you can drink enough, you'll qualify for a season ticket :D

Points 41; Position 18
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Big Boy wrote:You'll have to pop along to Fort Thanarat to get your money back :wink: Maybe if you can drink enough, you'll qualify for a season ticket :D
The amount I've spent on Leo over the years, I think I've probably paid for the shirts!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thank you :thumb:

Points 41; Position 18
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

I don't mind paying more for my beer, because reading that some of the money goes to a "sport fund" has made me realize I must obviously be blazing drunk from morning to night. So, now in this very brief sober moment, could someone please tell me where or when sport is played in Thailand?

I know there is some kickboxing and some village football, but where do all the school kids play tennis; swim; do athletics; cricket; rugby and etc? I can't believe I have been missing out all these years. :shock:

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact