Minivan, bus and road accidents

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Minivan, bus and road accidents

Post by Bristolian »

The bus driver, by "parking" in the outside lane is not guilty of reckless parking, the charge unless he had no choice is manslaughter. These busses are unbelievable. I drive back to BKK every Monday morning (very early), many of the busses I encounter are from the Deep South and have travelled a long way already before they meet the traffic hurdles approaching BKK. Convoys in the outside lane 3 or 4 busses long, often more. They create havoc for any other driver on the road. Not a care not a toss for any other road user. Just one more thing that is not policed or regulated.

Rant over. It could have been far worse. my condolences to the families and friends of the victims.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I drove to BKK and back this morning and was pleasantly surprised at how moderately most of the minibus vans were driving, I only remember seeing one driven at about the 140 kph mark, most were in the 100-110 range and it was the pickups that were the biggest risk to other road users.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Busses in Thailand seem to be falling off the roads every couple of days now...

3 killed in Phuket tour bus crash
A tour bus crashed on Kata Hill Wednesday killing three of 20 Chinese tourists and injuring others.

The Phuket News reported that the bus, owned by OA Transport and driven by Kajonwit Srisongkram, 35, from Trang, smashed through the roadside crash barrier and plunged down the hillside while on its way down the hill toward Chalong.

Mr Kajonwit was not injured but two women and one man among the passengers were thrown out of the bus and died.

Six ambulances attended the scene of the crash. The injured, 15 of them, were taken to Vachira Phuket Hospital.

Chalong police have asked motorists to avoid the area.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... -bus-crash
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

So before we all bo-hoo the driver for his 'Thainess' while operating a public-vehicle..the thing that springs up in my mind here is that IF those 3 passengers would have been wearing seatbelts, they would have no doubt NOT been thrown from the bus..OK, the poor souls would have had some bad bruises like the others, but would still be alive today.
A sad loss, & to those 3 unfortunate folk R.I.P. :(
taffinexile

Post by taffinexile »

Only traveled in mini bus once between HH and BK and was surprised by how well it was driven. Only concern was all the loose luggage stacked up at the back. Nearest near miss was with a taxi that nearly ran into the back of a coach but tried changing lane into the inside that was occupied by a pick up. A complaint was made to the taxi firm owner who was very put out by it and assured us the the driver was warned about it. We have used the same firm for last ten years and have only once had to complain.
In my time of dying all want for you to do is take my body home..... so I can die easy
buksida

Post by buksida »

Four killed in pickup-tourist bus crash
Four people were killed after their pickup and a bus carrying foreign tourists collided in Phayuha Khiri district early Sunday.

Police said the accident occurred at kilometer markers 306-307 on Phaholyothin Highway in tambon Muang Hak when the Nakhon Ratchasima-registered bus carrying nine British, German, Russian and Danish nationals was making a right-turn at a T-junction, heading to Kanchanaburi province.

Based on initial questioning of the Volvo bus driver, Chamnarn Fendee, the Bangkok-registered pickup was allegedly speeding from the left of the bus and rammed into it. Police said four of the five people on board the pickup died instantly in the devastating crash. The victims, three men and a woman, were driver Suthep Thongtham, Somboon Jamnark, Amorn Inthara and Benjapa Ruangthong.

Emergency response crews used cutting tools to pull the injured survivor, whose name was not released, and the four bodies from the wreckage of the pickup. Two foreign tourists on the bus sustained minor injuries.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... -bus-crash
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Geko
Professional
Professional

Three Chiang Mai Cyclists Killed By Allegedly Drunk University Student

Post by Geko »

CHIANG MAI: Three cyclists were killed and six others seriously injured when a speeding car driven by an allegedly drunk university student ran into the rear of a group at around 6.15am this morning.

The group of around 20 cyclists were out for an early morning ride in the Doi Saket area of Chiang Mai when the car hit them from behind at speed according to witnesses.

The driver of the car was identified as 23-year-old university student Phatchuda Chairuean.

WARNING: VIDEO CONTAINS GRAPHIC CONTENT
http://www.stickboybangkok.com/news/thr ... -accident/
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Words fail me after seeing the video'd aftermath...as for the young woman (who may have not had her seat belt on..?)
I'd have put cones around the car & left her there all damn day..moaning & groaning,- let her stew & reflect on all those innocent lives she's taken & the families she's ruined... :guns:
Accidents like this seem to happen on a regular basis here...let's wait for her story to unfold..??
As an after-thought the traffic police may need to go buy a wheelbarrow..'cos their wallets will not be big enuf for
the relevant 'tier' of tea-money this mash-up will create from mummy & daddy... :banghead:
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

...Sorry, but forgot to express my deepest condolences to the victims, & their dear families of this event (cannot label it as an 'accident')...also hope any injured riders are able to get well again soon.. :( :(
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Very sad indeed that video was shocking.
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

kendo wrote:Very sad indeed that video was shocking.
Dear God almighty, shocking doesn't begin to describe it, and I wish I hadn't seen it. The whole thing is absolutely devastating, shattered bodies lying everywhere and that poor girl with her leg stuck under the car, while traffic is casually being waved by, nobody even trying to comfort her... beyond belief. One of the extreme downsides of the internet. Can we remove the link?
This is the way
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

dtaai-maai wrote:
kendo wrote:Very sad indeed that video was shocking.
Dear God almighty, shocking doesn't begin to describe it, and I wish I hadn't seen it. The whole thing is absolutely devastating, shattered bodies lying everywhere and that poor girl with her leg stuck under the car, while traffic is casually being waved by, nobody even trying to comfort her... beyond belief. One of the extreme downsides of the internet. Can we remove the link?

POOR GIRL: Police said Miss Chairuean would be charged with reckless driving causing death and injury after initial lab tests showed a high level of alcohol in her blood.
GRAPHIC CONTENT WARNING
The video clip had this graphic content warning so the link will stay I don't know what you thought it would be like but unpleasant and shocking isn't strong enough for anyone's imagination. After watch it, it's really thought provoking.

Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Another cyclist killed, 2 injured in Bangkok
For the second time in two days, a bicyclist was killed after a car rammed into a group of bikers, this time in Bangkok.

Thanyakorn Densirimongkol, 31 died in hospital around 3.30am today and two fellow cyclists were injured after a car hit them on Ratchada-Ram Intra Road, in front of the Bangkok Boulevard housing estate, at 10pm Monday.

Khok Khram police found the wreckage of three bicycles and a black Honda Jazz about 50 metres away, but the motorist had fled the scene.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... in-bangkok
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Didn't even attempt to view the video - I have my ideas of the carnage caused. I assume the girl in question is likely to be one of the "spoilt-brat-hi-so's"... or am I just jumping to unfair conclusions?

Devastating for the families and those injured - callous waste of life.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

After seeing the afore-mentioned video, & the carnage the girl had just caused I think any 'western' police force would be searching the car for evidence of a cell-phone...then tracing her last dialled/recieved call.
(Came up behind a man driving a saloon car past Gee supermarket today..he was all over the Rd..side to side, & for once his windows were not blacked/mirrored-out...yep..you've guessed it..he was on his mobile).. :cuss: