TV series worth watching/downloading

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Re: TV series worth downloading

Post by hhfarang »

I'm sure this one must have been mentioned before but if you don't know about it download "Ray Donovan", a really good series about a guy who can fix anything (as long as you can pay) in southern California. Imho it's in the same class of series as The Sopranos. I watched the first two seasons over there on Truevisions. The third season starts tonight on Showtime.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Two from England, a few episodes into their first runs.

Humans

Set in current times, except Synthetic Humans (Synths) are common as workers. Follows three stories. First is a family and their new Synth, second is an aging man and his aging Synth, third are Synth hackers and black marketeers. The latter provides thriller and crime mystery aspects, the 2 others deal with human emotional attachment to their Synths in a non-sensationalistic way. William Hurt plays the aging man, the others are unknown to me. First episode was promising, second episode sold me.

Not Safe For Work

A black comedy. Backstory: a woman in a London based government agency proposes a new agency to deal with immigrant needs that slip between the cracks of other agencies. It's politicized and implemented in a manner that means it will never succeed. It becomes a dumping ground for problem and useless employees. Current story: She's transferred there. Welcome to Northhampton. A herd of sheep would have a better chance at succeeding than this motley crew of losers. It's funny. Her story starts off eliciting audience sympathy, then it turns out she's just as broken as the rest, except she enjoys her work and is good at it.

Will this end well with at least one person turning their life around? I hope not. A Lord of The Flies path would be much funnier, because the workers would fail at it, just like they'd fail at anything.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

If anyone watches Ray Donovan, the new year starts tonight (I guess last night for Thailand) :oops:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Or tomorrow even :D .
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Big Boy wrote:Or tomorrow even :D .
:cheers: :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Homer wrote:Two from England, a few episodes into their first runs.

Humans

Set in current times, except Synthetic Humans (Synths) are common as workers. Follows three stories. First is a family and their new Synth, second is an aging man and his aging Synth, third are Synth hackers and black marketeers. The latter provides thriller and crime mystery aspects, the 2 others deal with human emotional attachment to their Synths in a non-sensationalistic way. William Hurt plays the aging man, the others are unknown to me. First episode was promising, second episode sold me.
Humans is very entertaining so far and has the potential to be very good if the story line goes where I think it is going.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
dozer
Ace
Ace

Post by dozer »

migrant wrote:If anyone watches Ray Donovan, the new year starts tonight (I guess last night for Thailand) :oops:
I watched the season 2 marathon here on Sunday, thoroughly enjoyed it, looking forward to season 3,but back on the road, so I will probably wait for the next marathon.
Atheists have no need of a god. Our lives are not based on fear or guilt. We are moral because we know it's right.

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity. R J Hanlon
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

For you western fans, Hell on Wheels is currently starting it's 4th season.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^ I'd completely forgotten about that series! Will have to download seasons 2 & 3 yet.... :oops: :roll:

Thanks for the reminder HHF :thumb:

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

30 Degrees In February

From International Emmy Award-winning writer Anders Weidemann, compelling ten-part drama 30 Degrees in February follows a group of Swedes who've left the snow and cold of Scandinavia for the warm, sandy beaches of Thailand in the dead of winter. Why? To embark on a life-changing adventure, a fresh start and a new life, of course.

Nominated for an International Emmy Award in 2014, 30 Degrees in February is one of Scandinavian television's biggest public and critical successes and explores whether anyone can really leave their past behind.

30 Degrees in February ..I watched it on sky box sets. There are other downloads available :)
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Show Me a Hero

Dramatization of a 1999 non-fiction book detailing a white middle-class neighborhood's resistance to a federally-mandated public housing development in Yonkers, New York, and how these tensions affected the city as a whole. This was after US governments had learned the lesson of Bauhaus inspired public housing towers, so the housing was to be low density, scattered through an existing neighborhood.

This HBO series is worth a look just for its pedigree. Created and co-written by David Simon. He also was the creator, show runner and head writer of "The Wire", widely considered one of the 3 best US TV dramas. Directed by Paul Haggis who won back to back Best Picture Oscars producing and writing "Million Dollar Baby" and "Crash", which he also directed.

A warning about David Simon. 'The Wire was his second attempt to tell the same story. The first ("The Corner") attracted few viewers because it was a political message thinly wrapped in a unrelenting depressingly bleak drama. Despite "The Wire's" success, leftist pundits criticized it and it's viewers for being too much about the people in and around drug dealing in Baltimore and not enough about the social conditions of poor black neighborhoods of Baltimore. When "Show Me a Hero" was announced, pundits predicted it would have more political message than "The Wire".

First 2 episodes aired last Sunday. The final four will air on the next 2 Sundays.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Dark Matter
The six-person crew of a derelict spaceship awakens from stasis in the farthest reaches of space. Their memories wiped clean, they have no recollection of who they are or how they got on board. The only clue to their identities is a cargo bay full of weaponry and a destination: a remote mining colony that is about to become a war zone.

Anyone who liked Josh Whedon's 2002 cult sci-fi series 'Firefly' will enjoy this. 13 episodes of season one all available now.

Zoo
Violent animal attacks upon humans are occurring all over the world. Jackson Oz, an American zoologist who offers safaris in Africa, begins to notice the animals' strange behavior and takes it upon himself to solve the reason why before these attacks become more coordinated and ferocious.

Already mentioned a few posts up, this one looks like it has potential, watched the first couple of episodes and liked it.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

^^Seconded on both counts.
This is the way
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Narcos

Excellent. Engrossing fictionalized story of Pablo Escobar and the Medellin Cartel, starting at the beginning. Tight, fast paced story, often as coolly efficient as the characters. Of course it's violent and sexy but there is some humor - and dark humor. For added realism they filmed in Colombia. The Colombian characters are subtitled when speaking in Spanish.

One of the US DEA agents does voice over, much like the lead character in Goodfellas. It works well. It eliminates necessary but boring scenes, reinforces key points we need to understand the story, fills in backstory, explains more about the characters than shown in scenes.

A Netflix original series. All episodes dropped on the 25th. If I had faster internet I'd be binge watching.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Public Morals

Irish-American New York City vice squad cops vs Irish-American crooks, set in 1965-ish. All the cops are on the take. Seems like everybody is either related, a cousin of a former partner, did time together or were friends when they were kids. Standard story lines, made better by the quality of actors. All the characters of middle age or older are played by veteran actors who were never handsome enough to be leading men but way too talented to be character actors.

First 4 episodes dropped starting on the 25th. The remainder will be available in late Sept.