One year visa in Penang (Thai wife)

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

One year visa in Penang (Thai wife)

Post by Takiap »

Hi guys/girls

I'm due to be going to Penang for my one year visa (Thai wife). Does anyone know if this is still possible as its been a while since I was last there. Last time I went, I had to have a copy of our marriage certificate, photos and my passport and having it all ready with me made the whole thing a breeze. Just not sure if this has changed. Any advice would be great such as cost, etc.

Thanks
S
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

From what I've heard, you may be lucky and get the year's visa again. This is grandfathered in. New applicants may have a different scenario.
Then again, I've also heard that Penang is now only issuing single entry Non Os on the basis of marriage. 90 days.
Not sure, so it would be good if you reported back and let us all know.
Huahinian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Huahinian »

I thought once you had your first one-year marriage visa it could be renewed at Immigration Offices in Thailand. Worth checking I suggest.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

Once again I think there is confusion over the terminology here; I think Takiap is referring to the validity of the visa being one year, not the length of stay, which would be a multiple entry non immigrant 'O' visa on the basis of marriage to a Thai allowing 90 days stay each entry, and not an extension done inside Thailand allowing a non 'O' visa to be converted from a 90 day stay to a one year stay in the Kingdom reporting to immigration every 90 days.
lomu, I don't believe there has been any 'grandfathering' related to the issuing of visas outside of Thailand, as effectively these are new applications every time, but there is when extensions are applied for within Thailand. I could be wrong on this but that has been my reading of any grandfathering in the past.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Thanks guys, I, moff to Penag next wee so I'll report back on here as soon as get down there or when I get back to HH.
Yes I am applyiong for the one year visa which allows 90 day stays. Wish I could have extended my last one year visa but never had the 400,000 to show this time round.

Thanks again
Shane
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Hi all

As promised here is a short update

At the moment I am sitting in an internet cafe in Panang having come her for a one year marriage visa.

As it stands, the visa laws concerning this have change and they are no longer giving one year visas on the basis of a Thai wife. Instead, I've been told that they now issue a three month visa which the holder can then within Thailand. They have shown me the stamp which one now gets in Thailand and it all looks legit but of course I'll have to wait and see. I did ask if the extension involved having the 400,000 in a Thai account and was told "no"
Apparently you just go to any immigration office in Thailand with the three month "Thai Wife" visa and the extend it so that it covers you for a year.
I have also been promised that they will see what they can do about giving me a one year visa but will only know the outcome in the morning.

Cheers and good luck
Shane
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

That's my understanding as well. Penang are only issuing a single entry (90 day) visa on the basis of marriage. They now want you to extend for a year when back in Thailand and if you're a new applicant that can now only be done if you have an income of 40k per month. Your income can be combined with any your wife may earn to make up the 40k as well.
Those who had an extension, prior to Oct 1st this year, based on 400k in a Thai bank, can still get extensions on this basis.
Good luck tomorrow Takiep. It might be too late now, but I have heard that KL and Singapore are still issuing the multi-entry Non Os, on the basis of marriage. No need to prove funds, but it wouldn't hurt to be able to show them, if asked.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Thanks lomuamart

Okay I'm back in Hua-Hin after what can only be described as a hellist trip (lol)

When I got down there I was told that I would be able to get the the 90 day visa. However, because I never took the original of my marriage certificate, bank book and my wife's ID card I was only given a two month tourist visa. I have been told that I can still apply for a one year visa in Thailand but would have to show proof of 400K in the bank.

On top of all that, because I have lost my passport in the past (at least I think that is the reason) the minute they put my passport in the scanner at the border crossing it locked they system. On the way out it was not too bad, only needing somone of senior rank to come over and overide the system. One or two questions and my passport was stamped and I was on my way. Coming back however was a nightmare and actually quite nerve racking. As with going out, the minute my passport was scanned it locked the system again. This time a senior official was called and I was led off to the office and cross questioned. I was them informed that the computer was showing me as being black listed, etc, etc, etc. Of course I knew this could not be true as I have always kept on the right side of the law. Obviously they were simply trying to catch me out to see if I was employed in Thailand which I am not. While I can understand that they were only doing their job, I feel it is a disgusting way to treat a person and in a way quite scary. This is the sort of welcome you would expect travelling through Burma or the shady parts of Africa, Columbia, etc.
In the end there were laughs and smiles but to be honest I never found it funny at all. Sitting there being led to believe that you are not able to enter when you have a 16 month old daughter and pregnat wife is rteally not a laughing matter.

Ah well thats just Thailand and I suppose it all things like this that keep us all loving the place.

Thanks for the advice on KL. I think I'll try going there in January as I have also heard elsewhere that they are still doing the one year visa.

If anyone has any advice as to how I can get this passport problem sorted out that would be fantastic as I really don't need to go through that each time.

One last question which I know may sound a bit much but can anybody tell me if there is a way to get 400K in my Thai bank account for the purpose of getting the one year visa - any sort of help available, etc?
I do own a property, etc so its not like there would be any risk at all and I have heard wispers that it can be done but I don't know anyone with that sort of cash lying about.

Anyway everyone thanks and I hope this info helps.

Shane
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Takiap,

Heard a rumour that 400k is no longer valid. What they require is proof of offshore income instead

Only rumours though

TIT!!!!
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Onlyme
Professional
Professional

Post by Onlyme »

Richard. If you search my posts you will find that it is not a rumour and came from an official Thai Immigration site.
BTW. My friend tried for the spouse option mid November at Immigration in Huahin ( I was in renewing my 90 day.) They turned him down for his application based upon the 400,000 baht in the bank.
I might add, If you're renewing you get "grandad rights."

Above sounds a bit higgaldy piggaldy!

If you're applying(first time) for the right to stay because of support for a Thai spouse. You can no longer show 400,000 in Thai account. It has to be a minimum of "proven" 40,000 baht per month income.

If you are already here(on a support spouse visa) you keep your rights and can stay with the original 400,000 baht in the Thai bank.

Don't forget as it's VERY important. If you leave the country, YOU must get a paid exit visa.
Hope that makes it a bit clearer :D
¼Ã
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

Try and get into Australia nowdays witouth a return ticket or money in your bank. The baht figures in LOS are nothing to what you now need to prove you have to stay in Aus at present (even only for a hoilday). No 3 months here and there
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Always Borrow Money from a Pesimist. "They Never Expect it Back"
hogus
Professional
Professional

Post by hogus »

Takiap wrote: One last question which I know may sound a bit much but can anybody tell me if there is a way to get 400K in my Thai bank account for the purpose of getting the one year visa - any sort of help available, etc?
I do own a property, etc so its not like there would be any risk at all
Sorry to hear about your visa-problem!
Hope you can work it out asap!

If you're sure, that you really own property here in TH, it won't be a big deal to let this confirm by the Immigration-office for your visa-extension.
...Or just go to a Thai-bank, show them your proof of property, and ask for the actual conditions to borrow 400k....better 480k, payable 12x40,000 B to your bank-account

:thumb:
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Hogus,
Don't think that will work. Seems to me that they want to see an offshore income of 40k - end of story. The reason they've stopped the 400k for new applicants is to stop people borrowing the money and paying it back immediately. So, the 400k has to have been in your back account for at least 3 months now. It was never like that before. And that only applies to those who have had extensions before Oct 1st 2006.
See my link on Guess's thread re this.
hogus
Professional
Professional

Post by hogus »

You're right, Lomu!

I heard and read that they want to see an offshore income of 40k/month from 1st Oct, if you apply for a one-year visa-extension in Thailand...but it really depends on the Immigration-Officer.
Some immigration gave the applicants the idea already, to pay the tax for a "pseudo-income" of 40k only.... that would be enough as proof.
Don't know, if this deal is working everywhere?
In Pattaya it seems to be!? :shock:

It's the same "bullshit" with the 400K on your account-book.
Some embassies/consulates want to see a bank-statement, if you apply for a non-imm based on a marriage, others not.

It's Thailand, and you can't be sure in which way the officers interpret the regulations.
Therefore it's recommend in my eyes, to contact the Immigration-Office or Embassy/Consulate in advance to find out, what kind of proofs and papers they really want to see.

By the way, Takiab wanted to know, how he can get 400k, because he believes that he own property in TH.
I just gave him the idea to show his proof of property to the immigration, or borrow money from a bank.
Should be easy, if he really own anything of value in his name, and has not only paid for it! :wink:

:cheers: