Got my Thai License!

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Chas
Banned
Banned

Got my Thai License!

Post by Chas »

Just came back from the Cha-Am DMV with my brand new Thai Driver's License for one year! :D :D :D

I am happy to report that it was a piece of cake. We were there about an hour, including having to go out to copy something I missed.

My experience may help others as it is the most recent post here on this topic I believe.

I went in with the following:

1. a still valid DL from the US ( expires in January)
2. my passport with my Non-Imm B visa
3. My work permit

All of these needed to have copies turned in of them.

4. my medical certificate. Got it from Polyclinic ( took an hour or more and the Dr. actually did a "mini-physical" cost 70 baht.

5. two one inch pictures

Thats it. No written test, no road test, no eye test, no letter from the police and not even the "tambien bahn" This was explained to me as not necessary because of my valid work permit. So we turned in the stuff. Waited for a bit, signed the papers and walked out with the licenses. :thumb:

Although it was wonderfully easy . . . I had a sense it might have taken much longer. The girls were nice, but when I walked in, they asked each other in Thai, "Who is going to do the farang?" "Not me, I dont speak enough English" My spouse then stepped up and said he was there to do the translation and they visibly relaxed and were fine. He did both his licences at the same time ( five year licences) so they were working on all three during that hour. :cheers:
Jockey
Banned
Banned

Post by Jockey »

Good post Chas. I recommend to everyone with a non immigration B to go get a Thai Driving Licence. Its easy to do (take a Thai with you to make it even easier). A driving licence helps a lot when driving in Thailand. The police respect you more when you show them it.
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

Surprised you didn't have to do the colour blind eye test and the reflex tests. At Pranburi I had to do the lot for a 1 year licence. Only difference was I'm on a UK Passport, O A type visa with No WP. Also I presented International Licence + UK Licence + Immigration Certificate Of Residence.

Maybe Cha Am is an easier option.