18 Schoolgirls Killed in Fire

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

18 Schoolgirls Killed in Fire

Post by GLCQuantum »

Tragic. :cry:

Photos of the Thai boarding school where 18 girls died in a fire reveal the trail of destruction the inferno left.
Charred debris litters the floors and smoke blackened walls show where flames blazed out of the windows of the Pitakiatwittaya School in the Wiang Pa Pao district of Chiang Rai in northern Thailand on Sunday night at around 11pm.
Eighteen schoolgirls, aged five to 12, had been asleep when the blaze ripped through the building and died after becoming trapped in their second-storey dormitory.
Twenty others were rescued through windows by fire fighters who had propped ladders up against the building.

Continued... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -fire.html
pharvey

Re: 18 Schoolgirls Killed in Fire

Post by pharvey »

Absolutely dreadful....... :cry:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Terrible, where were the children's supervisors? Why no fire alarm system? I know this is Thailand but that is no excuse.

I remember when I was on school camps there was always an adult in a separate room to the children's dorm. Even if we made too much noise they would be out like a shot.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I dont think that the girls were from important Bangkok Hiso families, so sad but nothing needs to be done.
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

Tragic, so sad
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

StevePIraq wrote:Terrible, where were the children's supervisors? Why no fire alarm system? I know this is Thailand but that is no excuse.

I remember when I was on school camps there was always an adult in a separate room to the children's dorm. Even if we made too much noise they would be out like a shot.
Those first two questions suggest that you must be new to Thailand. Your comment suggests that you were in a country where someone really cared.

Alas!
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

I was told by my Thai colleague (reading a Thai news site) that the exit doors were locked from the outside (padlocks??). :shock: And you can imagine the amount of flammable mattresses, duvets and other cheap furnishings in the rooms that would've contributed to the acrid fumes. Poor young things - they didn't have a chance.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Disgusting lack of care the teachers should be held acceptable for this tragedy. They were probably eating Somtam and drinking Whisky som nom na but this is by any standards is tragic and heartbreaking.
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

centermid7 wrote:
StevePIraq wrote:Terrible, where were the children's supervisors? Why no fire alarm system? I know this is Thailand but that is no excuse.

Those first two questions suggest that you must be new to Thailand. Your comment suggests that you were in a country where someone really cared.

Alas!
I have been here 8 years on and off, I will not stay here 100% of my time. There are building codes in Thailand and they may not have been enforced.

As I have said in other threads Thailand is not as poor as many other countries but it is far less developed than many of those poorer countries.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

What bollocks, fluorescent tubes do not melt they are made of glass.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

oakdale160 wrote:I dont think that the girls were from important Bangkok Hiso families, so sad but nothing needs to be done.
This never-ending cliche always bugs me. Just because of a few major incidents (regarding the wealthy) that made the news, some people believe it's the norm that only the Bangkok Elite get any sort of justice, closure or reprieve for incidents concerning them.
centermid7 wrote:
Terrible, where were the children's supervisors? Why no fire alarm system? I know this is Thailand but that is no excuse.
Alas!
And your comment suggests that you understand very little about the topic in question. The Thai education system is beyond pathetic but leaving little kids alone unsupervised is not something I've witnessed. I have worked in boarding schools (currently am now) and English camps for over 12 years and NEVER have young children been left unsupervised at any time. Where I work now there are, at least, two supervisors in the kid's dorm room's all hours of the day. That's normal. This tragic incident is abnormal.

So StevePIraq's questions are quite valid questions to ask (Yes...even in Thailand).

A tragic incident like this is not just brushed under the carpet.
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

^ your personal experiences have nothing to do with it.

"Never" ya say? The headline kinda makes you look silly. Good try though.

Cheers!
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

^ Reading is obviously not your strong point.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Such a sad story....and some reports say these people are beyond the reach of the government which is why they are taken care of by charities etc.....such BS....beyond the will of the government to help more like. :|
Resolve dissolves in alcohol