Thailand Constitutional Referendum

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Thailand Constitutional Referendum

Post by JamesWest »

This is my first time waiting for voteing results here in Thailand.

What is the TV coverage like? Do the polls close and a big graphic instantly comes up on the screen saying 99% yes,
1% no?
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Thailand Constitutional Referendum

Post by oakdale160 »

Last night the town was so dead but the nigt market at Soi 88 wasas busy as usual. Big line upat 7/11 at 5.55pm as people bought beers.That option not available tonight.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

JamesWest wrote:This is my first time waiting for voteing results here in Thailand.

What is the TV coverage like? Do the polls close and a big graphic instantly comes up on the screen saying 99% yes,
1% no?
Almost instantly apparently. No need to wait for counting. According to headline in Bangkok Post http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/politic ... endum-ends "Polls show 'yes' win as referendum ends".
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

No international watchdog, so huge electoral fraud.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

oakdale160: Saturday the ban was from 6 pm. In Bangkok most bars were open, but no alcohol sale. I ordered a tonic water and added San Som form my pocket bottle, so simple is that......
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

well watching Thai TV if green means Yes and Red means No then it is a YES.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

a totally appointed upper house 250 appointed members---not quite Jeffersonian democracy.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Most people didn't even know what was in the constitution as campaigning and debate was banned. My wife went to vote this afternoon. I asked her which way she voted and she told me she voted YES. When I asked her why, she said that there were people there helping people to fill in the ballot papers and they were voting YES for them.

Will of the people???
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

he referendum is perfect; the army selects the reps, the reps select the armies choice for pm, the pm remains in place for 5 yrs. to carry out the armie's agenda. that way there's no one to vote for and the election goe's on as promised. what could be more demoncratic than that? gag me with a spoon.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

The outcome is not perfect and it's not democracy as we know it but it does give a chance for stability.

We no longer have Red or Yellow zealots running around loose in BKK and causing chaos.

The Thai people want an election and return to partial democracy as soon as possible, also a return to some growth in the economy.

Not a great moment in the history of Thai democracy but a small step In the right direction and you can not expect more. Hope yes, expect NO!
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

If you have a Thai wife/partner then it will depend on what colour shirt she wears that will determine her view, but from what I have gathered is that the yellow shirts are very much in support of the army who have brought some stability to law and order and a small crackdown on corruption. As Bristolian inferred, a long way to go, but a small step in the right direction.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

If stability means that there will be no street protests,I guess you are right, but I cant share your feelimg that this is an advance.
Without a doubt the military is NOT going to hand back all powers to a civilian govt. Seems like a Burma look-alike.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Well I only said a small step in the right direction - I guess it's a tight call between freedom of liberties and cutting out people being murdered on the streets of Bangkok which is what was happening. plus a few signs that some of the corruption is being tackled. I do hope though, that with a few more years of relative calm that the army will step back and allow free elections to take place.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

I agree with you Dannie Boy, especially on the corruption front. There have certainly been a few raids in our neck of the woods that wouldn't have happened with previous elected MPs at the helm. It's pretty obvious that they will remain in power until what we can't mention happens - that's why they're there now.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I know a Thai lady who lived in the US for over 20 years. She is horrified about recent events and she tells me that she is equally horrified that none of her family or riends are appalled or even interested in what ishappening.