Speed limit for passenger vans proposed/minivans to be replaced

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
buksida

Speed limit for passenger vans proposed/minivans to be replaced

Post by buksida »

A member of the National Legislative Assembly has proposed a set of measures to resolve the problem of road accidents caused by passenger vans in light of a fatal accident in Chon Buri in which 25 people were killed when a packed van crashed with a pickup truck.

Making his proposal in his Facebook post, assemblyman Somchai Sawaengkarn said the maximum speed of all passenger vans must be set at 80-90 km/hour. Any driver found to have tampered with the speedometer of his van to increase the maximum speed will have his operating license and driver’s license suspended with the owner of the van fined.

Each van will be fitted with a device which will automatically record the speed of the van, the time the ignition system is started and a GPS, said the assemblyman.

He also proposed that all the existing concessions granted to passenger van operators to operate inter-provincial services be scrapped. He said all passenger vans can operate within a radius of 100 kilometres and, for longer distance services, the responsibility should be with buses and mini buses.

The last measure, he said, is a complete overhaul of the system of issuance of driving licenses for public transport drivers.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/nla-me ... nger-vans/

Great idea, now we just need some competent police in patrol cars to enforce it ...
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
RCer
Ace
Ace

Re: 90kph speed limit for passenger vans proposed

Post by RCer »

I've never seen speed monitoring devices like radar guns in use by police here. Do they have them?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

buksida wrote:Making his proposal in his Facebook post
That sums up the state of this country in just 7 words :?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

I've seen radar guns being used here since 1992. They are used more in the provinces, but have not encountered one for a while now. Maybe that's because I'm running an outdated analog radar detector while everything now has gone digital. You do pick up those annoying lane change microwave transmitters, though, and from at least 5 car lengths behind!
วินเชนท์
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

RCer wrote:I've never seen speed monitoring devices like radar guns in use by police here. Do they have them?
I think they exist in the imagination of many police officers. Their radar gun has been cited as the reason for me being stopped by the BIB in Isaan several times. When asked where the radar gun is, it's usually 20 miles back and the details have been phoned through :? .

Mrs BB used to bawl me out when stopped like this until I set the alarm on my SatNav to warn if I exceeded the speed limit. Of course, she bawls the BIB out now, but they are expert liars, and the tea fund appreciates accordingly.

Points 41; Position 18
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Kuiburi has one mounted on a police box on the highway, I know from, ahem, experience :oops:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
blahblah
Amateur
Amateur

Post by blahblah »

VincentD wrote:Maybe that's because I'm running an outdated analog radar detector while everything now has gone digital. You do pick up those annoying lane change microwave transmitters, though, and from at least 5 car lengths behind!
Brilliant! Still giggling at this...

I read about these microwave detectors in an 1997 edition of 2600 ... never heard of anyone using one until now, some 20 years after reading about it.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Blahblah.. stick an egg on the mirror if your car is equipped with one of these and it'll probably be cooked aftdr a round trip to Bangkok.. BTW been using one since 1993 and has saved me quite a few unnecessary stops..
BB
they do have the radar gun a km or so before the checkpoint; not 20 km. The detector I use also has laser detection so I know where they are..
วินเชนท์
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It matters not where they are. I rarely exceed the speed limit these days, but I think the BIB have an over active imagination when they see a Farang driving a truck with out of province number plates.

No problem since I've started flying and hiring a car locally.

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The speed of any vehicle can be electronically capped. The power cars like Mercedes, BMW and the like do it on all their big engine models. Speedometer recording and GPS is great, but put in a gizmo to cap it in addition, with a numbered seal wire on it. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

What are the various speed limits in Thailand ie in town,single carriageway,dual car' etc ?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

They vary Km to Km. It's very Thailand, you see a speed restriction, but end of restriction is never indicated. This is why I rely on my SatNav as it seems to know the precise limits wherever we are - at least on major roads. They vary so often, I very much doubt the BIB could tell you accurately.

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

dundrillin wrote:What are the various speed limits in Thailand ie in town,single carriageway,dual car' etc ?
Drive north along the Klong road from the golf driving range. There are at least 6 different speed limit signs within a couple Kms.

Between Hua Hin and Bangkok the only way to have any idea is to use a GPS, which MAY be correct, just do not expect the BIB to believe you. There are some areas where the speed limit suddenly drops to 80 Km / hr without any road signs.

A lot of highways in the provinces are 110 Km /hr, including an area on hwy 32 that suddenly has a set of traffic lights in the middle of it! The outer ring road and the motorway to Pattaya is mostly 120 Km / hr. Most of the expressways around Bangkok have electronic speed signs that show 80 Km / hr. Drive at that speed and you had better stay in the left lane, or risk getting rear ended. It also depends on the time of the month, as the BIB have to pay their Mia Noi or risk getting refusals.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The electronic signs on the elevated level of the Bagna-Trad highway ending at Chonburi have been set to 80km I think from the day it opened. I've never seen it indicating faster than that and it was designed/built as a high speed road. Money pit for the MIB. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

There are speed cams in Petchaburi, Samut Songkram, Samut Sakhon and there's a man in the central reservation ditch before Samut Songkram with a hand held gun. I've seen hand held radar guns with associated police stop mostly in Phuket and the provinces around there.
Each van will be fitted with a device which will automatically record the speed of the van, the time the ignition system is started and a GPS, said the assemblyman.
Obviously a tacograph which have been in use for as long as I can remember. In Thailand it's made to sound like a super high tech new invention!!

Reminds me of a story many years ago in the UK. A lady driver noticed an abandoned microwave by the side of the road so stopped and put it in her car. A little while later she was stopped by the police who politely asked if they could have their radar box back!!