Thailand floods of 2017

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
lomuamart

Re: Thailand floods of 2017

Post by lomuamart »

I suppose that if had been drought time, it also would have been "historic".
In other words, "nothing to do with me, not my fault".
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I've only been posting a portion of what's been in the press Lomu about inadequacies and risks if this is an above normal rain year. It appears they've learned little from 2011, and what they did learn and implement is in disrepair and forgotten by a new regime of bureaucrats who weren't around for that disaster. I don't wish them ill will, but I think they're playing russian roulette thinking mother nature will continue to be benevolent year after year. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

What they need to do of course is hirea Dutch water Management company to create and oversee the building ofa system.Naaaaah!
Geko
Professional
Professional

Post by Geko »

Don't think its the construction that is the real problem but system maintenance, they just need to keep the drains clear not only of the crap people dump in them, but the runoff mud and sand that accumulates. They where cleaning out drains at the bottom of Soo 112 yesterday, probably a few days to late.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Ranong Governor Jatupoj Piyumputra on Wednesday declared a tambon in his province a flood disaster zone after most of its areas were inundated following three days of torrential rains.

Jatupoj said four villages in Tambon Ngao in the province’s Muang district had been severely damaged by flooding following three days of heavy rains.

He said flash floods caused by a waterfall started inundating the low areas of the villages since early Wednesday.

The declaration of a disaster zone would allow the provincial administration to speed up assistance to the victims without having to wait for approval from the central government.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/br ... s/30317412
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

HEAVY RAINS LEAVE NAKHON SAWAN UNDERWATER (VIDEO)

"NAKHON SAWAN — Various districts in one of the country’s central provinces were flooded Thursday morning following an entire night of rain.

Showers met residents of Takhli and Chum Saeng districts, where floodwaters rose to heights of up to one meter in temples, schools and hundreds of households, cutting off electricity and forcing students to stay at home."....

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/videos/20 ... ter-video/
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Just passed through Nakhon Sawan last week on my way to Khampeng Phet and did not see anything out of the ordinary. Normally use the bypass road though as traffic in town over the bridge and past Big C is always a mess..
วินเชนท์
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Re flood prevention.. they should not just clear the debris out of the khlongs but also demolish the illegal structures and villages that block the free flow.. :cuss:
วินเชนท์
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ I was a resident of Takhli a long time ago and it's in the very south of the province, quite away from Nakhon Sawan city. Closer to Chainat city. Pete :cheers:
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Pete
Used to work around that area from 2000, always got flooded the whole stretch from Bang Pahan through Lopburi, then along the 3196 klong road up to Takhli. It's a flood plain, which is why the houses were built on stilts. :roll:
Got flooded out of a place I was renting near Wing 2, practically an annual experience.
Worst was the floods in 2011, house in Bangkok was under waist deep water for three months. Saw the water as it made it's way from Khampeng Phet, even the hospital there got flooded and everyone camped out on the Asian Highway.
Right.
Rant over. :rant:
วินเชนท์
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

Nakhon Sawan is one of the most *Thai* cities in Thailand. Most things there are done in a natural Thai way.
Nothing wrong with that, but why people in this part of Thailand don't want to learn from history is something I'll never be able to understand.
These locations are the real floodplains of Thailand, but in the very same sentence this is so heavily overlooked by some Bangkok nose up people that even history doesn't work. When even Don Mueang footage showed almost floating air planes you know history got lost in the history.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

For those that have been here for 15 years or more will remember the floods in Prachuab as being the worst recorded. Khao Takieb was cut off from HH. The fly-over was impassable. Petchkasem Road was closed from Tha Yang till well past Petchaburi. Cha-am to Puktien was under more than a metre and the army were called in to cut away several sections of the road to allow it to drain away. Boats being used in the centre of town. People south of Hua Hin sat on rooftops waiting to be rescued.
I lived in Takieb at the time, where 'Sunset Boulevard' is. That was a high section of the road. Gazebos were erected for cows!! Free water and rice were being distributed, mostly by boat. There were fewer ATM's in those days and I was living on credit with the local shop.
It was a nightmare but also quite an experience which I hope will never happen again.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

on the subject of never learn from history; after the new canal road was 4 laned I noticed that instead of drains being put on the canal side of the road they were put on the inside lane, above the road level. that's what comes of following Confucius instead of Aristotle.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Central Plains put on flood alert

"Residents in seven lower Central Plains provinces have been warned to brace for overflow from the Chao Phraya River as more water has been discharged from the Chao Phraya dam in Chai Nat.

Suchart Chareonsri, director of Regional Irrigation Office 12, said he has sent letters warning of possible floods to the governors of Chai Nat, Uthai Thani, Sing Buri, Lop Buri, Ang Thong, Suphan Buri and Ayutthaya."....

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... lood-alert
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Over a thousand rai paddy fields flooded in Uthai Thani
July 12, 2017 Nanthida Kumari

Some farmers in lower northern province of Uthai Thani are suffering after over a thousand rai of paddy fields got flooded with water gushing in from both rising Chao Phraya River and Wang Rom Klao Dam, Thai News Agency said today (July 12).......

http://www.thairesidents.com/local/thou ... hai-thani/