Start of the Jellyfish Season

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
lomuamart

Start of the Jellyfish Season

Post by lomuamart »

Walked the beach this morning, which was the first time for a couple of weeks, and noticed that there were quite a few large jellies washed up. Not nearly as bad as it can sometimes get and I'm pretty sure the larger ones (which these were) don't sting. I normally flop about in the sea at the half way stage but didn't bother today.
I suppose it's about time for them although they do get a lot worse through September and October.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Re: Start of the Jellyfish Season?

Post by Pagey »

Yep, I noticed also yesterday and today as I haven't been much myself over the last two weeks because of the poor weather.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

I walked the Khao Takiap beach toward Kao Tao and saw a few this morning and yesterday, various sizes, ventured into the water and nothing else evident walking out to chest depth.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Have started to see an increase on the beach in Bang Saphan.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Poisonous jellyfish invade Pran Buri beach, sting tourists

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... g-tourists

PRACHUAP KHIRI KHAN - Eight tourists were stung by poisonous jellyfish found swimming and dead on Sunday along a beach in Pran Buri district.

A Google map shows the location where poisonous jellyfish were found on Sunday.

Sawang Phaepaisan Thammasathan Foundation, a rescue volunteer agency, said Chrysaora jellyfish were found for six kilometres along the beach from Khao Kalok to Pak Nam Pran.

Rescuer Promsing Sinhaseni said eight visitors to the beach were slightly injured by the jellyfish while swimming off the beach. All had received first aid before the foundation sent them to Pranburi Hospital, he added.

The Tambon Pak Nam Pran Administration Organisation has warned tourists about jellyfish on the beach.
Pran Buri beach is a draw for local and foreign tourists. It is especially popular on weekends with visitors from Prachuap Khiri Khan and other provinces, including Bangkok.
crossed post with Pete
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Not sure why anyone would want to go into the sea at HH or around there anyhow. Swimming with turds isn't cool. Need to go way further south to find acceptable beaches.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Spitfire wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:05 pm Not sure why anyone would want to go into the sea at HH or around there anyhow. Swimming with turds isn't cool. Need to go way further south to find acceptable beaches.
Agree - had a dip in the sea in Hua Hin when we virst visited several years back. An experience that will not be repeated!

As for the Jellyfish, what types are found around Hua Hin and how dangerous/poisonous are they actually? Due to our experience above we haven't regulary visited the beaches and to be honest have not seen them (perhaps simply "out of season").

Whilst overseas a fair number of years back I was stung by a Portuguese man o' war (although not strictly a jellyfish) - and that was painfull in the extreme..... another experience I would rather not repeat!!

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I think all kinds of jellyfish are found here. Most are harmless, some sting but not badly and some are very dangerous.
At this time of year, well I don't go into the sea.
I'm sure that marine biologists will give a better steer.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

It maybe prudent to pack a small bottle vinegar in you beach bag.
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

kendo wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:05 pm It maybe prudent to pack a small bottle vinegar in you beach bag.
Or a full bladder :wink:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Yesterday a team of workers were erecting many signs on the beach warning about jellyfish with emergency phone number and a receptacle containing a bottle of vinegar.

Man in pub circa 1987.
Juice81

Post by Juice81 »

How is the Christmas time? We were maybe, this is still a big MAYBE, thinking of coming there for two weeks during the holidays. But airline fares are also so high now for that time of year and then if the ocean is also horrible then there is no point of wasting all that money.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

The jellyfish are always there year round but it's normally September and October when currents drift them inshore that you're most likely to encounter them.
You should be OK at Xmas time but if you see lots of them washed up on the shore it's probably best to stay out of the sea. That's unlikely though.
Juice81

Post by Juice81 »

lomuamart wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:40 pm The jellyfish are always there year round but it's normally September and October when currents drift them inshore that you're most likely to encounter them.
You should be OK at Xmas time but if you see lots of them washed up on the shore it's probably best to stay out of the sea. That's unlikely though.
Thanks! We'll see, just checking the ticket prices and I think it will stay as just a dream... :shock:
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Jellyfish back in abundance today but strangely they were nearly all of the blue variety. Usually they are brown with the occasional blue one. Today I stopped counting the blue ones after I reached 100 when I was 15-20 minutes into my walk. The others were the clear variety, I don't recall seeing a single brown one although I'm sure there would be some.

Man in pub circa 1987.