Hua Hin's Finest (police in Hua Hin)

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Big Boy

Hua Hin's Finest (police in Hua Hin)

Post by Big Boy »

I thought I'd start this thread as a follow-up to the drug-testing thread.

Farangs in Thailand seem to have a very low opinion of the police force here (me included), but I believe here in Hua Hin we are very fortunate to have a decent crowd protecting us.

The time most of us encounter the police here is at roadblocks. I know many take offence at road blocks, but that is the way Thailand does it's policing. OK, I agree they can be an inconvenience, but I don't think I've ever been delayed for more than 5 minutes. Yes, they catch a lot of criminals, but so long as your vehicle is roadworthy, you have tax, are licenced to drive, motorcyclists wear a helmet etc, you are simply waved through. Sometimes with a smile, but often with a grunt :D - let's face it, it can't be nice standing in the sun for several hours checking vehicles.

We have a lot of friends visit us, who also get stopped. Many of them are illegal in one way or another, and get fined. They don't like getting caught, but usually laugh off the fine. It sometimes becomes a game/competition of who pays least during a holiday. However, the fact remains, they are illegal and have been caught.

The other time most people encounter the police is at immigration. Again, immigration officers have a terrible reputation, but so long as you comply with the rules, in my opinion, there is absolutely nothing to worry about. Some of the old crew were a bit grumpy, but we can all do grumpy :D . As I said, stick to the rules and you are fine. The new crowd even smile occasionally.

When I first moved here, I was not 100% legal (if that's the right word). We went down to immigration, explained my problem, and came up with a solution that benefitted both sides. Everybody was happy.

For my last 90 day report, I'd entered the wrong bring-up date into my calendar. I went down to Bluport, handed my passport over, and just said sorry. I expected to pay the maximum fine. She took nowhere near the maximum fine - nothing bad, I was at fault - no complaints. All done with smiles. I broke the law, not the officer. The only problem was the eternity it took them to write the receipts, get them countersigned etc, but like roadblocks, that's the Thai way.

I have had other dealings with Hua Hin's police, one where I actually expected things to get a little difficult. No, they were totally professional at all times, and I respect them for that.

I honestly feel that Hua Hin's police force are a cut above, yet some people still think they are all little brown monsters, and I think it's an injustice.

Without incriminating anybody, I thought it would be good to hear other people's experiences IN HUA HIN, when they have been COMPLIANT with the law.

I'm not looking for sob stories about being fined 200 Baht for not wearing a helmet etc.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
buksida

Re: Hua Hin's Finest (police in Hua Hin)

Post by buksida »

Policing in Hua Hin and Thailand is not a black and white (or blue) issue in accordance with the laws of the land as it is in western countries. It is a big murky grey area where rules are often bent, broken, manipulated or abused to suit the officer, the level of clout he has, the situation, the province you are in, and the defendant/victim.

Everyone will have a different experience with them, personally I avoid them like the black plague in tourist towns like Hua Hin. They have to pay extra to get the job there so it stands to reason their chances of takings and tea are higher, and they will be using those opportunities. Up country things are generally different and the police tend to avoid foreigners!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Have to say, in 2 years living in Thailand, I've never had an unpleasant experience with the police. That includes Phetchabun and all points south of there.

Sure, the road blocks are irritating when you want to get somewhere, but life in Thailand.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've found the opposite - I am targeted upcountry.

Yes, there are plenty that visit Hua Hin for a couple of weeks, and moan about being caught for breaking the law. The fact is, they've broken the law, and have been fined a small amount for doing something that would get them into a lot more trouble in their home country.

I'm really looking for actual negative experiences from law abiding people in Hua Hin.

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Never had a problem with the police in Hua Hin and our immigration must be one of the best in Thailand after reading reports about others.
The new police chief in Bangkok is withdrawing checkpoints in Bangkok. He is of the opinion that they add to congestion by reducing traffic flow. He makes the point that police should spend more time on other traffic violations such as 'running red lights' etc. Would be nice if other police forces follow suit but we'll see.
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

not a "never had a problem" story, more a "that was nice of the police" story

my husband has a slight disability, he has a pronounced limp and wears a (visible) leg brace from the knee down. Many times at the crossing at Market Village and the other big crossing that leads to The Hilton, when the police weren't helping people cross the road, when they were in their little booth doing nothing much...when we approached and they saw he had a dodgy walk (or more likely the brace), without fail they would come out and stop the traffic to let us cross safely.

I found that very nice.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I rarely get stopped, and in Bangkok three times in 25 years! On each occasion I was by myself, in the wrong and let go.
Also have driven a lot in both the North and the South without any problem, particularly in the North.

However, I was stopped in Hua Hin this morning near the school next to Market Village. I STILL do not know what I did wrong, but the driver of a green Baht Bus pulled up alongside me and started yelling! What about I do not know!
"You speak Thai" from the BIB. The usual first question! Even if you teach Thai at University, NEVER admit it!

"You drive bad, where licence?" I said and pointed to the side of the road where I assume it was his boss standing, ''I will go over there so as not to block the road'', which I did. BIB that stopped me followed me and the same statement: "you drive bad". So what did I do? Looks at licence and comes out again with "you drive bad"! Hands back licence and wanders off!

Still do not know WTF I am supposed to have done, because I never came anywhere near a green Baht Bus, or anybody else for that matter. And it was the second time that I had been through the stop in the last 30 minutes, so whatever it was it came from the Baht Bus driver!

What still puzzles me is how some of them do not get run over the way they stand in the middle of the road. If there is a big line up of cars it is not a problem, but I have seen them step out into fast moving traffic.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

The only thing B.B. is that it’s not a fine, it’s a bribe!
There is a clear rate you should pay for breaking the law, which was published during the last 100% helmet campaign. You should get a receipt or be taken to the station to pay this. The B200-400 that mostly Ferangs pay goes into various pockets going upwards. Poor Thais whatever they do.....no licence, insurance, test, helmet or number plate are let through because they can’t pay! These death traps with no lights, breaks, overloaded are allowed to go unstopped and are often the cause of accidents.

I’m not an angel and the Wild West element of Thailand is quite attractive and why I have been happy coming here for 25 years!
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

Also from my experiences here in HH, most of the ‘real’ policing is done by plain clothes guys, of which there are a huge amount all around us at any time.
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Nereus, was there any attempt to extort cash for this awful crime? That is exactly the type of experience I find common elsewhere, but not in Hua Hin. At one stop in Bangkok, I had supposedly been tracked driving from Hua Hin to Bangkok on the hard shoulder :?
NOKYAI wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:25 pm The only thing B.B. is that it’s not a fine, it’s a bribe!
Yes, I think most of us know that, but it's a win/win situation. You've broken the law, and have been caught. Your punishment is 400 Baht, but we'll share it 50/50 :wink:

I strongly disagree with the compromise. Until it changes, such petty offences won't be driven out. However, it's the way Thailand works, just like roadblocks. We have to accept it.

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Big Boy wrote:Nereus, was there any attempt to extort cash for this awful crime? That is exactly the type of experience I find common elsewhere, but not in Hua Hin. At one stop in Bangkok, I had supposedly been tracked driving from Hua Hin to Bangkok on the hard shoulder
No, but it may have been because I stopped right in front of the "boss". Or he just could not be bothered with the stupid Farang that could not speak English!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've had that, where I've been stopped, and they walk off just leaving me hanging.

When it's happened, I've given the guy a few moments to come back, but have then driven off. I've always put it down to excessive time stood in the sun.

Points 41; Position 18
albaker

Post by albaker »

MDMK wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:02 pm not a "never had a problem" story, more a "that was nice of the police" story

my husband has a slight disability, he has a pronounced limp and wears a (visible) leg brace from the knee down. Many times at the crossing at Market Village and the other big crossing that leads to The Hilton, when the police weren't helping people cross the road, when they were in their little booth doing nothing much...when we approached and they saw he had a dodgy walk (or more likely the brace), without fail they would come out and stop the traffic to let us cross safely.

I found that very nice.
As a paraplegic wheelchair user and frequent traveller to Hua Hin for over 15 years I have never ever encountered the above by the police .
The crossings you mention are usually manned by private security , not the police , they hold up / stop traffic to enable you to cross road ,usually with a smile after thanking them , this seems to be the norm in other places we have visited in Thailand .
Have been moved on and ignored by Tourist Police on several occasions when trying to cross the road
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

Nereus wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:05 pm
"You drive bad, where licence?" I said and pointed to the side of the road where I assume it was his boss standing, ''I will go over there so as not to block the road'', which I did. BIB that stopped me followed me and the same statement: "you drive bad". So what did I do? Looks at licence and comes out again with "you drive bad"! Hands back licence and wanders off!
It had nothing to do with the burnouts and doughnuts as you approached the traffic stop in a cloud of smoke? :laugh:
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
vto
Novice
Novice

Post by vto »

Nereus wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:05 pm"You speak Thai" from the BIB. The usual first question! Even if you teach Thai at University, NEVER admit it!
May I ask why you should never admit to the police if you can speak Thai?