Thailand tops global road death ranking

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
buksida

Thailand tops global road death ranking

Post by buksida »

Thailand now tops the rankings as the country with the highest death rate in road accidents, according to one global survey.

Despite government attempts to reduce the number of casualties, a seminar on road safety was told on Monday that Thailand now tops the road death list on the World Atlas website.

"The road death rate in Thailand is a matter of extreme concern as the country now ranks first, surpassing the deadliest country in the last survey, Libya," Thaejing Siripanit, secretary-general of the Don't Drive Drunk Foundation, told the seminar.

He was referring to rankings published in November by the website which gives appraisals on various topics, among them road safety.

World Atlas, which provides online information on travel, society, economics and environment, ranked 30 countries around the world.

Thailand's estimated road traffic death rate (per 100,000 population) stands at 36.2 this year, followed by Malawi (35) and Liberia (33.7).

African countries filled most top-10 slots.

The World Health Organisation, meanwhile, ranks Thailand as the second deadliest country, behind Libya from a survey of 180 countries.

Full story: https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... nking-list
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Thailand tops global road death ranking

Post by StevePIraq »

Nice to know Thailand comes tops in something.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The WHO is the usually accepted one. Libya is way way out in front and would take some catching even by Thailand. World Atlas doesn't include Libya. Anyone know why?
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Last WHO report on road safety is from 2015, Libya data is from 2013 when the country was in the depths of civil war. Thailand's data is from 2012 plus there are many countries where data is not available. You can't really make a comparison.

If anything Thailand would be classified as worse as it is in a relatively stable situation, whereas Libya is not.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Until Thailand institutes mandatory training in the public schools, it will not get better.

Even then, it will take 10 years to see return on investment.

There are no quick fixes.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

My granddaughter received motorcycle training at school, and she rides very well. However, she won't wear a helmet :banghead: nor does she have time to get a licence :? .
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:41 pm My granddaughter received motorcycle training at school, and she rides very well. However, she won't wear a helmet :banghead: nor does she have time to get a licence :? .
Public or private school? They teach rules and how to avoid accidents?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Hua Hin High School. I consider them public, but I think they consider themselves private. She's at Uni now.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I remember the Cycling Proficiency Test at school. I was so proud of the badge I got for my bike. Attitudes are very different here.
DearMartin
Novice
Novice

Post by DearMartin »

Attitudes are very different, Thailand needs to make progress on prevention and the rules of the road