motor vehicle insurance...

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
rockandrollnomad
Amateur
Amateur

motor vehicle insurance...

Post by rockandrollnomad »

Being relatively new to Thai traffic laws and regulations and also vehicle ownership I am looking for some genuine advise from one or two of you 'old soldiers'. I am looking to purchase a second hand car on my next trip to Thailand. I realise as a farang I cannot register this vehicle in my own name unless I have some sort of residency or limited company here. I was thinking of registering said vehicle in my Thai girlfriends name. (whom I trust implicitly) My point is can I then insure the car in my name ?
as my girlfriend cannot drive. Thank you in advance for your co-operation.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Nomad xxx
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Rockandrollnomad, I found myself in the same boat, I had the truck insured in my partner’s name, but then I found out that the insured has to hold a driving license for this to be valid. I was told that you can’t put the insurance in your name, but I don’t know if this applies to all companies.
I got around the problem by getting my partner a driving license; this took five mornings of instruction and a test, all for 3000 baht, and she hasn’t driven since.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Steve, just take off the front left and right rear wheels and call it a motorcycle.... : :shock: :laugh: Pete :cheers:
malcolminthemiddle
Guru
Guru

Post by malcolminthemiddle »

I pay around Baht 24,000 per year for private, fully comprehensive insurance, any driver, on my Toyota Vigo which is registered in my wifes name.

To comply with Thai law I understand I only need the mandatory government issued porlorbor 3rd party insurance which costs around Baht 800 per annum and is registered to the vehicle not the owner of the vehicle.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: motor vehicle insurance...

Post by Nereus »

rockandrollnomad wrote:Being relatively new to Thai traffic laws and regulations and also vehicle ownership I am looking for some genuine advise from one or two of you 'old soldiers'. I am looking to purchase a second hand car on my next trip to Thailand. I realise as a farang I cannot register this vehicle in my own name unless I have some sort of residency or limited company here. I was thinking of registering said vehicle in my Thai girlfriends name. (whom I trust implicitly) My point is can I then insure the car in my name ?
as my girlfriend cannot drive. Thank you in advance for your co-operation.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Nomad xxx
You can buy, register and insure a car in your own name, but there are some stipulations, one of which you need some form of non-immigrant visa--multi entry, retirement etc, or business. You also need a certified copy of your address to register it in your name.

There are three levels of insurance, apart from the compulsory government requirement, 1st, 2nd and 3rd class. 1st gives you full comprehensive, 2nd gives you 3rd party property damage cover plus fire and theft on your own vehicle, 3rd class gives you only 3rd party property damage. The premiums are quite different for the three classes, and you need to watch that you are getting enough cover on the third party damage. Some companies will not insure a car over 6 years old, so you need to look around a bit.

PM me if you want my recommendation for a company.
:cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

malcolminthemiddle wrote:I pay around Baht 24,000 per year for private, fully comprehensive insurance, any driver, on my Toyota Vigo which is registered in my wifes name.

To comply with Thai law I understand I only need the mandatory government issued porlorbor 3rd party insurance which costs around Baht 800 per annum and is registered to the vehicle not the owner of the vehicle.
I do the same thing M&M and at the same rate minus about 5,000 baht as I'm using my Thai business friend as owner who has a fleet discount. 1st class insurance is really the best and safest way to go to avoid headaches if problems should occur. Pete :cheers:

PS: If you buy a new vehicle, 1st class insurance is usually included for the first year. You then have a good history (hopefully) and a contact to renew for subsequent years.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Pete wrote:
just take off the front left and right rear wheels and call it a motorcycle....
Pete, I've a feeling if I let her drive, she would do that herself trying to weave through traffic!
kiwi P

Post by kiwi P »

Can some body recommend a good insurance company for property,contents and motor cycle...

:cheers: :cheers: Peace Out..
Every day is a good day 6ft above the ground
Farang
Ace
Ace

Ins.Co

Post by Farang »

'
I've had excellent service and experience of the Viriyah Insurance Company during six years.
They are located on the Cement Road, past the Tuesday market and the driving range.
Take Soi 56 from Phetskasem Road, cross the railway and at light hang a left. Drive few hundred meters.
On your left you'll see their yellow sign. Their telephone number is 032-51 51 59.
N.B. Many banks also broker insurance.

On personal & health insurance I don't use Bupa as I consider them thieving, lying bastards who speaketh with a forked tongue.*
I use Allianz. Their local falang representative you'll find at telephone 084 16 17 610 and Thai: 086 083 29 63.

Allianz does it all; health, accident, house, car & rest of the Calamities about to attack you any time soon.

* to put it as politely as they merit.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

STEVE G wrote:Pete wrote:
just take off the front left and right rear wheels and call it a motorcycle....
Pete, I've a feeling if I let her drive, she would do that herself trying to weave through traffic!
Please note though, to make it work correctly it has to be in 4WD all the time, only four occupants, and all weighing the same + - 1-2 kilo....LOL. Pete :cheers: