Investment Rates

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
ahandpatsy
Professional
Professional

Re: Investment Rates

Post by ahandpatsy »

oakdale160 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:08 am ahand patsy-- you like my 50/50 b/e split. MY equity 48%-- 40 are S&P top 100 & Toronto SX top 25, with about 5% euro (that includes UK) and 4% Asian.
Oakdale so do you use market tracker funds or individual company stocks to make up your say 40% in the US market?
ahandpatsy
Professional
Professional

Post by ahandpatsy »

ahandpatsy wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:37 pm
oakdale160 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:08 am ahand patsy-- you like my 50/50 b/e split. MY equity 48%-- 40 are S&P top 100 & Toronto SX top 25, with about 5% euro (that includes UK) and 4% Asian.
Oakdale so do you use market tracker funds or individual company stocks to make up your say 40% in the US market?
And why if you think I am pretentious are you asking me for investment advice.
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

migrant wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:56 pm As an accountant I have many clients who use a FA. It's amazing how many people do not look at their statements, etc, but rely just on the adviser.s verbal. Read your statements and ask questions. If you don't understand ask someone who does. Many clients were not getting the correct info from their adviser once fees and charges were added into the formula.
A lot of investors all read Bernie Madoffs statements and it didn’t do them much good…Just a thought
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Malcolm, RHS & TFI. I'm not sure if they're closed-end funds. I don't track the account to closely. As long as long the income keeps flowing and the principal isn't shrinking I'm happy.
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

handdrummer wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:10 am Malcolm, RHS & TFI. I'm not sure if they're closed-end funds. I don't track the account to closely. As long as long the income keeps flowing and the principal isn't shrinking I'm happy.
handdrummer.. 100% agree that's my view also :D
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

ahandpatsy wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:53 pm
ahandpatsy wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:37 pm
And why if you think I am pretentious are you asking me for investment advice.
Touche.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Dow Jones lost 4% last week, other indexes followed FTSE down 3% too--minor correction? Trump based panic? Rising interest rates? If the declines persist next week could really turn nasty.
Remember Lord Rothschild's advice--The time to buy is when the blood is running in the gutters.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

In the states at the moment. Consensus is that the drop is due to profit taking.

True?? Who knows but so much institutional money is on an auto trade system it could be since the dow was so high.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

I've been feeling that this year feels very similar to 1987 which had a very strong start then a sharp sell off in June if I remember correctly then the " melt up"" followed by a large melt down in October. The market however ended the year back where it started. I would settle for a re-run of that but it could be worse.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

It will be interesting to see how the mkt does on Monday< my guess, more pain to come. Some 'experts are looking for a 10% correction. Surprised that there has not been more pots on this issue--there must be a ton of expats living off their investment portfolio.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I read an interesting article that made good sense. There has been a big swing towards Index investing, instead of Stock picking you buy an Index fund that buys all the companies in say the S & P 500 or Dow-J. It has been shown that these funds which have a very low turnover and a low admin fee (often less than 1%) perform better than the agressively managed mutual funds that are churning away and making many buys and sells..
So far so good. But this is in some ways a self-fullfilling prophesy as billions are poured into the companies that are represented in the index and so keep the shares prices up. No harm in this, just surprised I had never thought or read of of this effect.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Index funds are Warren Buffets advice for investing in the stock market. Buy a fund or funds in different sectors and keep it forever.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

WB is so honest. He said that he would advise small investors to but S & P 500 Index funds rather than Berkshire Hathaway shares, his mega company.