Smoking ex-pats

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Re: Smoking ex-pats

Post by MDMK »

404cameljockey wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:37 pm
Hold on. So if a smoker comes to a table near a non-smoker and the smoke is clearly blowing in the wrong direction (when I smoke I'm very aware of who is getting the secondary 'benefit' of my sh*tstick), the one who should demur is the non-smoker, by getting up and going somewhere else? It's not reasonable for them to ask that the smoke not blow in their or their young children's faces? Just wanting to clarify what we're talking about here.
I see your point, I also see RCers point about the constant complaining smokers get. I consider (or should that be past tense now? considered?) myself a very polite and considerate smoker. But I still got complainers. So many of them. And so very very unreasonable and lacking in tolerance.

It was increasingly becoming a case of no matter how considerate and polite I am, the very fact that I am smoking within a kilometer of a living being I am the target for some complaining anti-smoker. And I do call that brigade ANTI-smokers and not non-smokers.

I went on to a terrace outside of a cafe in the UK. Say 10 or so tables. 2 tables in use. I sat at the farthest table from the the other people.... well downwind from them... and a good 6 or so meters away from them. I lit up, my smoke blew in the opposite direction to them. If they were sat north of me, my smoke went south. The woman jumped up and loudly began the moaning about smokers and how they should be banned in public spaces. I have a hundred examples as ridiculous as this. I this woman had been blindfolded there is no way she would even have known I was smoking. Not even if she had nasal-superpowers! So it's very often not a question of a non-smoker being troubled or inconvenienced by a smoker .... more just one group of people attempting to assert their will on another group of people, irrespective if they have actual annoyance (i.e. can actually smell it, or can actually be affected by it health wise). No they just moan as default.

While I am all for a healthy dose of consideration on the part of smokers, a hell of a lot of ANTI-smokers could be doing with a healthy dose of tolerance.

I had a colleague once ask me if I would mind hanging my coat in a whole other room to where her coat hanged (it was a communal cloak room). I asked why, she said she didn't like the smell of cigarette smoke that hung on my coat. I just told her I didn't like the smell of cheap perfume and stale sweat that hung on her coat, so unless the company were going to provide every employee with individual sealed coat lockers she could go fuck herself.

I know many smokers are inconsiderate arses, but many ANTI-smokers are intolerant arses too.

And what Bucksida said above.... I have already told my husband, if I ever become one of these preachy anti-smokers he has to buy me a carton of marlboro as a matter of urgency.
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

Spitfire wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:09 pm As usual, the sensible solution is to be found somewhere in the middle which seems increasingly rare with things now. [... ]...some latitude on both sides would probably go a long way.
^^^ this is it in a nutshell

but it's becoming more and more the case that the it's the smoker who is expected to compromise. Too many anti-smokers don't see it as a "bit of give and take on both sides". I really don't give a shit as I'm a mouthy mare at the best of times. But I genuinely feel sorry for smokers who are polite, but aren't mouthy or smokers who avoid confrontation. I thrive on it, and thank goodness for that or I might have been in tears a few times at some of the comments I have had. Holland has the reputation for tolerance, and I s'pose overall that's well deserved (gay marriage, euthanasia, cannabis tolerance, legal prostitution etc etc we do tend to be at the front of these tolerance issues). But smoking, no that's okay to be intolerant of. lol, that's tolerated intolerance. But I guess it's a global "in" thing now to be very intolerant of smokers.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

malcolminthemiddle wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:31 pm
europtimiste wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:45 pm I started smoking when I was 13 and still smoke. Can't you understand that smoking is not only an addiction (for some it is) but it's also a pleasure.

Did you enjoy being the unaddicted "you" before the age of 13 or have you forgotten what it was like to live comfortably inside a mind that does not crave for nicotine? If you cannot remember what it was like being "you" then what basis do you have for honest comparison?

Source http://whyquit.com/whyquit/A_NicodemonsLies.html
I don't find the right words to qualify such a comment .The author must have a brain problem.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Shortly before moving to Thailand a life long friend and I went out to enjoy a final lunch. After lunch we went outside to enjoy a smoke, far away from the entrance and where people were walking.

Some idiot saw us smoking and walked over to where we were standing and began to berate us. My friend who is the much bigger of the 2 of us, exploded. Typically I'm the one with the short fuse that matches my stature.

There is no reason for someone to approach a stranger and begin yelling at them for something that only affects them.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

This is a very interesting thread but nobody has answered y original question. Why is the number of smokers in the UK ex-pat community so much higher than the rate in the UK?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

europtimiste wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:45 pm I started smoking when I was 13 and still smoke. Can't you understand that smoking is not only an addiction (for some it is) but it's also a pleasure.
This is a classic case of confusing pleasure with the satisfying of an addiction. I guarantee that if you'd never smoked, you certainly wouldn't find it a 'pleasure'. I could say it's a pleasure to have a cigarette with a drink or after a meal and it certainly feels satisfying but I know that it's only a craving.

I've been smoking since I was 13 (I'm now 72) and in those days we were encouraged to smoke. Doctors recommended it etc etc.

I've tried giving up several times but it's difficult for some of us. I'm one of those rare individuals who's health isn't affected by smoking (was at the hospital only in the last week for xrays as part of a check-up and the doctor still refuses to believe that I'm a quite heavy smoker) so there is no incentive there.

However, I do hope I'm considerate of others when I smoke. I usually smoke outside the restaurant or any other public building.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Congratulations MDMK on giving up. I'm going to have to do the same before we move back to the UK for a lot of reasons. 1) We'll be renting a place, and most insist on non-smokers; 2) It's too damned expensive; 3) It's too cold and uncomfortable freezing outside having a smoke; 4)My mum will be extremely pleased. (Not necessarily in order of importance).

I don't think I can just stop smoking. I'll try and cut down, and down, until I feel I no longer need one (hopefully over the period of a month). That's the plan, anyway...

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I agree VS. Plenty of incentive to give up in the UK. Maybe the government here will put cigarette prices up to 500 baht a packet. That's all the incentive I need!
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

deleted by me....missed something
Last edited by Spitfire on Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Vital Spark wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:22 pm I'll try and cut down, and down, until I feel I no longer need one (hopefully over the period of a month). That's the plan, anyway...

VS
There was a lot of help available on the NHS. My wife tried many different things until she found something suitable for her. The GP surgery was very supportive.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Only way to do it is cold turkey...that's how I did it and it worked.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

The episodes that smokers have written about---being challenged in public---did those happen in Thai, I'm surprised.
One incident that I have written about before. I was in a shopping mall in Canada, I went to the food court for a coffee. A guy came in and lit up---there was an explosion as many of the people at neighbouring tables screamed at him to stop. I remember thinking, that would never happen in China or Thai. Thai people do not police each other and such confrontation is not part of their culture.

Maybe that is one of the reasons for the higher smoking rates inThai. Less social pressure. This is an easy-going, mind your own business country. We moan about the traffic, corruption, inefficiencies but maybe are attracted to this attitude.
One other point. British people have told me that one of the reasons that the pubs in the UK and Ireland are suffering is the smoking ban.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No, that's one of many ways. My father did it that way, and it was pure hell for the rest of us. It took him several attempts over the years, so it was a very prolonged period of hell.

Mrs BB's various 'aided' attempts were much nicer on the innocent bystanders.

Points 41; Position 18
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

No offense to you man BB...but doing cold turkey style isn't for everyone (is generally the most effective though) but doesn't have to be full of drama and works for some and not for others....all about the individual's persona. The drama is more thick with some than with others.

Edit - To be fair, I've found it much more hard to control how much I drink than giving up smoking and only just getting round to making it happen.. o7
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No offense taken :thumb:

I actually hate smoking, but it's happened all around me all of my life and I've always tolerated it (maybe a little moan occasionally :D ).

I've experienced family giving up, and I was just trying to point out what works for one, doesn't always work for another. My father eventually did it cold turkey, and we survived, just.

Mrs BB had medical issues, and the docs told her not to even try, because her chances of success were zero. However, she was determined (I think whatever method you choose, determination is always the key factor). She tried patches, gum, etc., etc. Much to her delight, she got there, eventually.

The other key factor is support. Regardless of how obnoxious the person giving up gets - support them.

One final piece of advice - try to avoid other smokers when giving up. They will be (subconsciously) jealous, and will offer you freebie after freebie. Mrs BB almost made it several times, when 'friends' helped her out with 'just one' to kill the craving.

Points 41; Position 18