Tops Supermarket in Hua Hin?

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Bamboo Grove

Re: Tops Supermarket in Hua Hin?

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Is there a Tops on Soi Thonglor in Bangers? I have a vague memory that it used to be quite good. Maybe because of so many high earning farangs living there.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Bamboo Grove wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:04 am Is there a Tops on Soi Thonglor in Bangers? I have a vague memory that it used to be quite good. Maybe because of so many high earning farangs living there.
Yes there is, and a Villa Market and foodland. I was in TOPs in Thonglor a few days ago, but TOPS are not a patch on the Central food stores, simply because they are bigger and carry a greater variety of stock.

I make it sound like I spend all my time in these places, but I have just learnt where to go for the particular things I like. For example, my breakfat cereal is made up of own label muesli from Tesco, seeds from Gourmet market, Those bite sized shredded wheat things from VM and Waitrose bran flakes and Rude Health puffed oats from TOPS or Central. I am lucky that my other half works for The Mall Group in their head office, so anything I get in Bkk is sent down to Bluport via the company van!
Talk is cheap
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

mwbrown wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:10 pm
bsdk1960 wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:00 pm
Big Boy wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:44 am There's been a lot of unsubstantiated chatter on social media over the last 24 hours about Tops Supermarket opening up in Hua Hin soon. Does anybody know any more?

The rumour is that is will take over a large section of the existing Power Buy shop at the bottom of Soi 88.
we went to Power Buy 2 weeks ago,and looked like a shoop close soon ,half of the shop was empty,so could be
someone take over,but didnt ask.

:cheers: :cheers:

I think it's looked that way for 4 years!
ok,then it must have been 4 years since i was there last time

:cheers: :cheers:
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

HH has Villa Markets and market @ BluPort. Both pretty sad.

Krung Thep .... Gourmet Markets or a 'good' Tops so much better than what HH has to offer. A good Tops, certainly wouldn't hurt, and hopefully better than the market at BluPort or VM.

Makro, about as good as it gets, and reasonably priced in comparison. Tesco Lotus and Big C are pretty much just a joke, and good for a bit of comedy relief, for those that even venture in.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I think the Gourmet Market at Bluport is excellent and, for me, the only reason to visit. Their range is better than other markets in HH. Some of the prices are high but if you really want it and can't get it anywhere else, then you'll pay!
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Just realized, that is a GM @ BluPort.....yikes. That's the worst one I've ever been in.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

laphanphon wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:44 am Just realized, that is a GM @ BluPort.....yikes. That's the worst one I've ever been in.
Interesting, 2 opposite views of the same thing. Perception is everything. Reminds me of the elephant in the tent parable.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’ve only window shopped at GM in Blueport - my perception was a lot of very nice produce but most of it at high prices, but definitely some items that are not available elsewhere in HH so if you really want it, you’ll have to pay the prevailing prices.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've been in GM at Bluport a few times, but consider it too expensive for me.
definitely some items that are not available elsewhere in HH so if you really want it, you’ll have to pay the prevailing prices.
I must say, I've never seen anything like that in GM. Can you give some examples please? If there is in fact something there that is unique, I would pay the premium price if I wanted/needed it.

I looked a few times when they first opened, but was actually disappointed with the range.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:03 am I've been in GM at Bluport a few times, but consider it too expensive for me.
definitely some items that are not available elsewhere in HH so if you really want it, you’ll have to pay the prevailing prices.
I must say, I've never seen anything like that in GM. Can you give some examples please? If there is in fact something there that is unique, I would pay the premium price if I wanted/needed it.

I looked a few times when they first opened, but was actually disappointed with the range.
I would have to go back again for a more detailed look as it was a few months ago that I last went, but as an example I’m certain they had a range of biscuits for cheese ( e.g. Jacobs Water Biscuits and more) that I’ve not seen elsewhere, maybe VM also sell them at similar prices?
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

laphanphon wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:44 am Just realized, that is a GM @ BluPort.....yikes. That's the worst one I've ever been in.
I'd actually say that's a fair comment, but you're probably comparing it to their Bangkok stores, apart from the smaller one in Terminal 21 at Asoke. Otherwise, there is currently only one other GM outside of Bangkok and that's in Korat.

All the stores here are smaller than in Bangkok, that's inevitable given the size of the population here in Hua Hin, so inevitably, there will be less selection than is available there, that applies to Tesco's, VM and Makro as well as GM. The two Makro's here are very different beasts and neither are a patch on one's in bigger areas.
Talk is cheap
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:03 am I've been in GM at Bluport a few times, but consider it too expensive for me.

Ex: Sonoma Vege Burghers.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

When I was in Power Buy earlier, I asked about TOPS and the lady I was speaking to confirmed they are moving in. As others have said, the store has been divided into two along it's whole length with temp. barriers and curtains for now, presumably to allow the work needed to continue and to create their own entrance and so on. TOPS will occupy the half nearest Soi88.

I think it's great they're moving into Hua Hin, I guess it will be a similar size to VM, when you consider space for storage, deliveries and so on. My only reservation is location as at the moment, there's only a small car park in front and it's on a busy junction with Petchkasem and almost next to the school. Definitely one to avoid at certain times of the day.

Edit - Power Buy is part of Central apparently, so it makes sense for TOPS to move to that location.
Talk is cheap
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

There's parking at the other end (back entrance) of Power Buy. Plus 'on the road' parking at the opposite side of 88. I'm sure that will add up to more than Villa has nearby.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

HHTel wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:57 pm There's parking at the other end (back entrance) of Power Buy. Plus 'on the road' parking at the opposite side of 88. I'm sure that will add up to more than Villa has nearby.
That's good, I wasn't aware there was car parking at the rear. I was thinking about street parking, but can see if that becomes a problem, that it could be restricted?

It's certainly making the market for 'farang' goods more interesting, with TOPS, VM and GM all in near proximity.
Talk is cheap