Borrowing 'Show' Money to Obtain Visa

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Re: Borrowing 'Show' Money to Obtain Visa

Post by laphanphon »

+1 on that.

Guessing also, not having any health insurance or an emergency fund for an oops.

Not a good idea, when can have the safety net of your home country.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Has anyone posting here been adversely affected by someone else not following the financial/visa rules or any other rules or laws?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

handdrummer wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:51 am Has anyone posting here been adversely affected by someone else not following the financial/visa rules or any other rules or laws?
I would think that is everybody who obeying the rules. The reason the authorities are constantly clamping down/tightening up on the regulations is because people are regularly abusing the system, and feel it's their right to do so.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:34 am
handdrummer wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:51 am Has anyone posting here been adversely affected by someone else not following the financial/visa rules or any other rules or laws?
I would think that is everybody who obeying the rules. The reason the authorities are constantly clamping down/tightening up on the regulations is because people are regularly abusing the system, and feel it's their right to do so.
I can't think of an instance when someone else disobeying the rules has affected me. If I disobey that's a different story. Maybe it was different here years ago. I've been here only 5 yrs. and every year I do the same thing to renew my visa. The stupidity of 90 day reporting with a 1 yr. visa is a different issue.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I disagree, every extra hoop we're made to jump through is usually brought about by those who are disobeying the rules. However, that's another discussion. This one is about borrowing money to beat the system.

:offtopic:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Years ago, it was quite "common practice" for people to borrow money to make the financial savings requirements and then immediately pay back.
Of course, I don't know exactly how widespread it was but it was a well known loophole in the regulations that could be used if necessary. Imm aren't daft and could have seen on a person's passbook that this was happening. Hence, a number of years ago, the three month seasoning rule came in, I suppose on the premise that lenders would be less likely to lend for that length of time.
Now, that might well have adversely affected some people who either didn't want or couldn't tie up that amount of money for so long - legitimately.
I'm just saying that the seasoning laws came into effect as a direct consequence of this lending. Obviously, it still happens so what new regulations might be brought into effect when the authorities decide that the 3 month rule isn't adequate?
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Thailightzone »

Big Boy wrote:I disagree, every extra hoop we're made to jump through is usually brought about by those who are disobeying the rules.
Agree. Most rules & costs in society, all over the world, are brought about by outliers or the stupid.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Personally I think all foreigners, especially as we only have the right to be here for 1 year at a time, should have to maintain a minimum sum to cover personal expenses.

In this particular situation I did it as I was going though a divorce and did not want to have large bank accounts, so I took everything out of the country. Now my divorce is complete I have no problem having cash in Thailand again and following the formal processes.

I see no need to ask how the process is done as long as it is done and I get my visa the same day.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Several years ago I used to 'cheat'. Haven't done it for several years now as my financial situation now fits the bill more than adequately. However, at the time, everything was done by one of the immigration officers (not to be named) and each time I visited, I was offered the same service by other immigration officers. Not sure if it's still the case but just saying that 'agents' weren't even needed. 'One-stop Immigration!!'
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Maybe do a Google search for foreigners in prison for visa violations.

Personally, I know I have no rights here. Violating the laws is the last thing I would consider doing.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

HHTel wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:34 pmNot sure if it's still the case but just saying that 'agents' weren't even needed. 'One-stop Immigration!!'
That's still the case if you know the right people.
Talk is cheap
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

You can brake any law as long it works. Over 15 years or more, it was even possible to get a 12 month multi entry visa from some Thai embassies abroad just staying in Thailand. Afterwards they got strict and you had to go yourself to the border for exit and re-entry.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

:offtopic:
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Post by HarryVardon »

I don't quite understand how this can work. I have never used it. I have money in my bank. I go to the bank and ask for a letter of proof which costs me 100 Baht. When I show this letter to immigration they always want to see my bank book which has to show that the money has been there for three months and they insist that the bank book has been updated within the last couple of days to show that the money is still there.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

HarryVardon wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:54 pm I don't quite understand how this can work. I have never used it. I have money in my bank. I go to the bank and ask for a letter of proof which costs me 100 Baht. When I show this letter to immigration they always want to see my bank book which has to show that the money has been there for three months and they insist that the bank book has been updated within the last couple of days to show that the money is still there.
Well, there is at least one other honest poster on here! Thank you. :thumb:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!