What do you grow in your garden

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
Bamboo Grove

What do you grow in your garden

Post by Bamboo Grove »

For the first nine years since that I returned to Finland, I had a small front door garden. I used to experience, what I could grow there. Mainly I was successful with mint, melissa and different kinds of pumpkins. Last year I had to move to an apartment without a garden or even a balcony and now I can't grow anything, which is a pity.

So, do you grow anything at home, which ones are easy to grow and is there anything, you'd like to plant but haven't been successful?
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: What do you grow in your garden

Post by migrant »

I stick to the basics, basil, rosemary and other herbs. Just planted some pumpkins so will see. Also have had good luck with cucumbers.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’ve never had any problem growing tomatoes but cucumbers have been very hit and miss with the problem being that the plants invariably get attacked by some form of insects and often too late to spray them and save the plants. Over the years I’ve managed to grow and eat beetroot, carrots, French beans and even lettuce (it’s generally too hot to successfully grow them). Chili’s, basil, lemon grass etc grow very easily and often end up self seeding so never need to try to grow them myself. I’ve managed to grow a couple of pineapples and I have about 12 plants on the go at the moment but they take about 18 months so you have to be patient.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Typical Thai stuff - two types of basil, (krapow and hualapha), lemongrass, chili plants and a kafir lime leaf tree. Also have a curry leaf tree, small lime and Thai lime trees. Lots of fruit.
Trying my hand at other herbs - the rosemary plant is still alive, and the lemon basil is sprouting. Tomato plants look healthy but still not mature yet. Oh, and a cat's whiskers plant. Very pretty flowers. Tea made with the dried leaves is supposed to be good for the kidneys.
Hopefully the standard basil and parsley will grow, starting from seeds. I do see something sprouting though I hope they're not weeds.
The wife's brother pokes around next door and there are a lot of wild pepper plants and kailan.
Used to have hydroponic lettuce but have retired the contraption.
วินเชนท์
T.O.M.
Banned
Banned

Post by T.O.M. »

Anything that I can grow from fruit seeds...Starfruit, mango, durian, salak, mangosten and many different palms.
At any given time we have at least 300 small pots all over the garden with small plants.....When they grow too big/ big enough they are transferred to a bigger land, that we have, or are given away.
Coming from the cold north, I am just enjoying how easy it is, to make things grow here. Gives me great pleasure and something to do..
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Going to try growing Jalapenos and Brussel sptouts, plus normal Thai stuff.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Don't you need cool weather for sprouts?

I have coconut, banana, avocado (no fruit yet), mango, loads of different chili, peppers, lemon grass, lots of Tia To (Perilla) Vietnamese ground cover leaf the Thais love to eat. Lot of Thai herbs which I don't even know the names.
Tried so many times to grow tomatoes, never succeeded.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

StevePIraq wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:38 pm Don't you need cool weather for sprouts?
We had some growing at our last place, but they were never out of the sun. Here we have plenty of shade. Never know, it might work.