Thais discover tasty grilled treat at crocodile BBQ stall in Ratchaburi

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
PeteC

Thais discover tasty grilled treat at crocodile BBQ stall in Ratchaburi

Post by PeteC »

unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (49.07 KiB) Viewed 673 times
(Many photos at link)

Thai food lovers have discovered a tasty exotic menu after a crocodile farmer who once faced near-certain bankruptcy opened a barbecued-croc roadside food stall, next to Taweechai crocodile farm in Ratchaburi province.

Sitthichai Penchart’s stall sells inexpensive skewers of fresh grilled crocodile meat and whole-roasted crocodiles, attracting hundreds of people to participate in the BBQ experience every day, according to EFE-EPA.

Crocodile meat has been reported as being a highly nutritional meat that contains less fat, low cholesterol and higher protein content than pork or chicken.

It reportedly has health benefits for the heart and blood circulation, and is believed to cure respiratory illnesses and several other diseases.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... s/30354153
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: Thais discover tasty grilled treat at crocodile BBQ stall in Ratchaburi

Post by migrant »

I've had alligator and rattlesnake, both good if done right!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

This story hit the Thai language papers yesterday per the wife. I can see an explosion of shops serving this, as to my knowledge to date it's exported and/or dried, mixed with grain and turned into animal feed. They harvest tons of crocs per year from the farms for the hides and now everyone (except the croc :shock: ) can benefit from a larger market for the meat. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

In the US South they eat Alligator, I have eaten it BBQed in Florida and Louisiana. Tasty.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

They used to have a grilled croc stand at Hua Na Market some time ago. Tried it but didn't like it! I can understand whole crocodile being a novelty attraction. Give me a 'spinning pig' any day.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

I regularly buy frozen crocodile meat at Makro but I've never tried grilling it. Usually I buy the packets of crocodile soft rib which isn't really ideal for grilling, but it is awesome when fried or cooked in a sort of casserole type recipe. Way, way, way better that pork ribs in terms of tenderness and juiciness. My kids all love it as well, but I have never been able to convince any of my extended Thai family members to try it.
Of course, as is to be expected, some of them have also informed me that if you eat crocodile, one a crocodile will eat you. :laugh:

BTW, crocodile soft rib has quite a lot of fat attached, but it is somewhat different to the fat you get with other meats, and can of course be trimmed off prior to cooking.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

oakdale160 wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:39 am In the US South they eat Alligator, I have eaten it BBQed in Florida and Louisiana. Tasty.
That's 392 Baht for a gator burger in Louisiana. Mom & Pop Croc Shop here could make a fortune with tourists. :laugh: Pete :cheers:

41608589_10216754703557738_5742739959039655936_n.jpg