Australian visa denied to Thai national

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
MrTea
Amateur
Amateur

Australian visa denied to Thai national

Post by MrTea »

I have my story but I'm more interested to learn about other's experiences or impressions at this stage.

Have you been involved in some way or know of it happening to other people?

I also have questions about getting married to a Thai national and how that relates to - in order of difficulty - getting visas, permanent residency or citizenship, specifically in relation to Australian law.

Thanks
deepee
Guru
Guru

Re: Australian visa denied to Thai national

Post by deepee »

MrTea,
Australia has some of the toughest immigration laws about.
Visitors from Thailand will need to show substantial finances , assets in Thailand and proof of an ongoing permanent job back in Thailand. You will need to provide work payment receipts going back a couple of years at least. Why?? This is to ensure the visitor is not likely to a "runner" while once in Australia.
Younger females applying also can expect to get extra scrutiny.
If you as an Australian citizen choose to sponsor someone to visit you in Oz be prepared to allow immigration access to your assets to recover costs should the visitor fall into trouble or disappear.
Permanent residency (PR) and citizenship are getting more difficult to get, usually you need to wait out five years plus so I'm told.
If you marry a Thai and the marriage fails pre PR
The Thai can expect being sent back to Thailand
Complexity is so simply overrated
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I think that as it stands it's a pretty meaningless question. People will and do get refused for all sorts of reasons. In the UK they publish figures about the results of visa applications, I'm sure Oz will do something similar.
Talk is cheap
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

My experience is regarding uk rules. I'm guessing Oz have similar rules. This was over 20 years ago and was difficult even then.
Whilst in the UK my girlfriend (as she was then) applied twice and got a refusal, despite all the relevant documentation from me. Eventually, it was my daughter who said "Why don't you go out there and marry her, Dad?" That's exactly what I did. Following that, she made another application with me in tow. Refused again! When I asked the interviewer why, she replied that she didn't think she would return. "We're married for christ's sake", and it wasn't a cheap documentative one. It involved a huge 'Thai wedding' with almost 500 guests and stacks of photos. "Being married doesn't alter anything" was her response. "Okay", I said. "I want to meet with the immigration secretary". "You can't do that" she replied. "I'm a British citizen in a foreign country and I can demand to see who I like". That got some action. She left the room and returned with an appointment for 9 the next morning. After speaking to the Immigration Sec, he conducted a repeat interview with his secretary as translator. I was called back in due course at which point he told me that he could see no reason for not issuing a visa as she came across as very sincere.
Not sure about the Oz embassy, but the UK embassy's interviewers are civil servants who have managed to get a cushy number for 2 years living in the 'ivory palace' with servants etc. which appears to give them a sense of superiority and drunk with power. When their term is finished, they'll be back in London travelling to work on the tube with everyone else.

I did of course have to provide bank statements for the last 6 months and evidence of income.

I wouldn't be averse to asking questions and demanding to see someone higher up. It worked for me.
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

HHTel wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:28 pm My experience is regarding uk rules. I'm guessing Oz have similar rules. This was over 20 years ago and was difficult even then.
So whatever you post really has no relevence does it? You "guess" that the rules of some "20 years ago" have anything to do what the situation as of today? In a completly different country?

555 Please, sober up.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Oh for goodness sake. I gave that example as requirements for Australia are similar to those for the UK. Sponsorship, proof of funds etc. Similar pitfalls exist with similar solutions. In fact, for every immigrant allowed in the UK there are two allowed in Australia.

It may or may not have been helpful. But of course you have to stick your oar in as is typical. I'm sure Mr. Tea is more than capable of judging what is helpful and what is not!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

.........….....for every immigrant allowed in the UK there are two allowed in Australia.
Are yes, but they come from places like Ethiopia and Outer Mongolia. :twisted:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

The only way to know for sure, is to talk to an official from Australia at the Australian embassy. Everyone else is just giving their opinion.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I restate, unless you know the reason the visa was refused, there's not much point, even when hearing others (Oz) stories.

Although we're not told, I assume it's a visit visa and I think irrespective of Country, the biggest issue is providing a satisfactory reason to return.

A lady who had a couple of great outlets selling burgers and things in Korat told me that she went to Oz on a student visa but her only intention was to work, which she did until caught and thrown out. But her experience of working in a kitchen stood her in good stead!
Talk is cheap
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I agree. The OP needs to ask questions as information is not always offered freely.
Are yes, but they come from places like Ethiopia and Outer Mongolia.
It would certainly help keep them from going to the UK.... lol. Unfortunately not correct.
MrTea
Amateur
Amateur

Post by MrTea »

Thanks for sharing HHTel. Sounds like a pretty similar attitude. Westerners overstay visas all the time here and in the UK. No problem getting in, though.

The process was extensive and huge amount of documentation was required - for mother (Bachelor degree and has travelled to Europe with her Thai company many times) and her 11 year old daughter. No doubt coming with her daughter was the red flag.

I had no idea it would be denied. Shows how naive I am.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

If short term, long distance relationship, and applying party isn't deeply rooted in home country, then expect to be denied.

Surely their stats prove.....been there, done that, approved, relationship ended, now gov't stuck with the problem. Thank your fellow stupid countrymen for the present rules. She 'no luv u long time'......everyone seems to know that, except the 'hansum man' :roll:

I wish Thailand had stricter immigration rules.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Immigration and travel is becoming more difficult; More rules, more money needed, more scrutiny, more, more, more. Eventually, only the wealthy will be able to travel, then the govts. will be satisfied. No more pesky low rent travelers to darken our borders.