Washington Square, Bangkok

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Re: Washington Square, Bangkok

Post by hhfarang »

When they do build something else there, I hope they leave The Dubliner alone and build behind it. That's the other place there that we've always enjoyed (besides Bourbon Street) on our Bangkok visits.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
windlom
Novice
Novice

Post by windlom »

Hello i'm a french man, i was also in washington square by the years 1990 and more. In fact i lived in a room near the sauna.
It was the good time.
There was a clinic on the sukhumvit road, on the left side when you leave the washington square; and i'm looking for the address of this clinic. I know it's sukhumvit but i don't know the number, nor the name of this clinic.
So if somebody could help me in this matter, it will be a big help for me.
:cheers:
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Two sad news I've received recently, Kurt Francis aka Mekhong Kurt passed away at his home in Texas a couple of weeks ago, R.I.P.

Also the area he so loved, Washington Square is now just a memory.
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

The Dubliner has closed HHF

Will reopen in soi 33/1 which is just across the road from the original venue. As well as the first class Irish pub/restaurant you are used to it will also have a 20 room apartment section at very reasonable prices fully kitted out with tv dvd wifi and breakfast included. Timeframe mid november for the pubs soft opening and december for the apartments. For us it is a must visit place anytime we are in Bangkok.

Looking forward to the opening party.

Crazy 88

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

An old, old thread, but I know there are people on here who have fond memories of this place. The Mall Group bought it up a long time ago and it was to be the 3rd part of what was to become known as 'EmDistrict', with the others being Emporium and Emquartier, located opposite each other, either side of Phrom Phong BTS. For a while, the vacant area hosted Dinosaur Park, a fun fair type attraction, but that closed some months back.

It's now been announced that a new mixed use complex to be built there, known as Emsphere, will include a 6000 capacity concert and entertainment complex, to be known as Em Live, to be managed by American run AEG.

That's quite a transformation.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/ne ... -new-arena
Talk is cheap
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

:( The ghost of my former self wanders those grounds. Pete 8)
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

PeteC wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:31 pm :( The ghost of my former self wanders those grounds. Pete 8)
Me too! Damn, cannot remember the name of most of them, except Silver Dollar. A lot of ghosts wandering around there, Pete!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Best I can do. You'll have to fill in the names you remember.

Wsq.jpg
Wsq.jpg (62.63 KiB) Viewed 562 times
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

The late Booby Toombs was the owner of Silver Dollar. Really amiable laid back guy, and a good friend to my late mate Milan. RIP both of you.

Anyone was allowed in there:
em_arnold.jpg
em_arnold.jpg (38.28 KiB) Viewed 522 times
I will add a couple of links here. As they are both now defunct should not be problem, but please delete if not appropiate:

http://www.bangkokeyes.com/2012jul01.html

https://mekhongkurt.wordpress.com/categ ... mn/page/9/
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I read all of that and I feel ancient, sad and empty all at the same time. Places and people gone, and not many who can even relate to or know what was there and what it was like. RIP to the place and to characters who made it so much fun. :thumb: Pete :cheers:
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

This is what I remember of the names of the establishments:

Coming in from Sukhumvit and turning left: Mambo Cabaret and Studio 22, Silver Dollar, Texas Lone Staar, Wild Country, Cat's Meow (it was something else previously) Bourbon Street, a Japanese place, Prince of Wales, Square One (first owned by Vichai and then by Taffy). They had two or three bars in the building were the big massage parlour was, one was called Crystal. Then there was an outdoor bar at the entrance from Soi 22.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

My memory was that there was a bar there, the customers were mostly 'Left over from the VN War guys. Was that the SD? The original Bourbon St was there too, really authentic New Orleans food
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

This is what Washington Square looked last June, when I walked past it.
washington square kesä 19_edited.jpg
washington square kesä 19_edited.jpg (64.37 KiB) Viewed 176 times
stretch
Professional
Professional

Post by stretch »

Gone but not forgotten rip