Uk to HH Removal Firms

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
niggle
Guru
Guru

Uk to HH Removal Firms

Post by niggle »

Moving general items, household bits and bobs, PC etc from UK to Hua Hin
Any recommendations / advice appreciated
PJG
Professional
Professional

Post by PJG »

Yes unless you carry it by hand or like large payments to the customs department don't.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

niggle,

I think PJG's advice is sound, unless you are moving out there with your Thai spouse. If your spouse is returning to Thailand, she will be exempt from duty.
Championship Millwall 1 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 21
sonmic
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sonmic »

Oh dear, so does this mean that if you move house to Thailand, being non-Thai, that you will never be exempt of duty? Even if you can prove that you are being employed (in a new job) by a (thai) company?

You cannot bring in personal effects such as furniture or books or even stuff like crockery or paintings?

This is a bit unsettling if you are ever going to make to move, having to leave practically everything behind.

And how would this import duty be calculated (roughly)?

All you guys that live here in Thailand left basically everything in the Motherland?
PJG
Professional
Professional

Post by PJG »

The sad thing is that it is not possible to calculate how much Tax you will have to pay. It seems to depend on which side of the bed the Customs officer got out of and how your possesions are assesed.
hollygolightly1

Post by hollygolightly1 »

From experience... the amount is calculated according to documentation accompanying the shipment. In this case, none of the crates were actually opened or checked by customs... Then the money due was disputed and, after 5 hours of haggling was reduced by a substantial amount.... if you do go ahead, be prepared to spend the day at the offices and be patient and stubborn...
sonmic
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sonmic »

thanks Hollygolightly and JW. Every bit of info is helpful. Frotunately after 10 years of Portugal which is v e r y slow and even more bureaucratic I am quiet used to waiting and waiting only to be asked to come back tomorrow when it all starts all over again... always bring a good book
NikkiSixx

Post by NikkiSixx »

Myself and my Thai wife will be coming to Hua Hin at the end of the year and despite getting rid of nearly all of my material trappings(including my beloved guitars!...sob...) I still have literally three or four boxes of CD's, DVD's, books and odds and sods that I would dearly love to send over.
What paperwork would have to accompany the shipment?....and would me being married to a Thai get me out of having to shell out too much at customs?
Please help!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

If your wife is living with you in Torquay at the moment, simply ship it all in her name - she is exempt from customs when re-patriating to Thailand. I seem to remember that there is a time limit to qualify for this ie I think she has to have been out of Thailand for 2 years or more.

Your shipping agent should handle all of the paperwork.

Points 48; Position 21
nosamluap
Rookie
Rookie

Shipping from the UK

Post by nosamluap »

In response to the shipping query, we have just had a very recent experience. (Feb 07)

We had a persian silk rug that we shipped across from the UK via DHL. We put on the customs declaration that it had a value of £250 (but was actually worth a lot more.)

After it sitting in customs for two weeks, I managed to get off DHL the calculations for the import duty etc, and we were shocked and dismayed. (The shipping of it by DHL cost £260 by the way. - 20kg)

These are the calculations cut from the DHL email:

250 GBP x 70.817500 exchange rate = 17704.37 (COST)

INSURANCE 1 % = 177.04 (I)

FREIGHT = 247.03 GBP

CIF = 35375.46

DUTY = 35375.46 X 30 % = 10,612

EXCISE TAX = 35375.46 + 10612 X 0.2564103 = 11,792

INTERIOR TAX = 11792 X 10 % = 1180

VAT = 35375.46 +10612+11792+1180 X 7 % = 4,128

TOTAL = 10612+11792+1180+4128 = 27,712 BAHT

Yes, 27,712 for a carpet that we told them was worth £250 !!!

We love this carpet. In fact is was the only thing we did not sell before moving apart from small effect brought in our suitcases over the last year.

The carpet was sent back to the UK at a further cost of 13,000 baht.

So after 13,000 miles and a cost of £450 we are back were we started....

I would not recommend shipping anything to Thailand

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Paul
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

nosamluap,

Please clarify - were you or your partner Thai, claiming re-patriation? If you were, then the rules on what you can take without paying duty have changed since my daughter re-patriated.

Points 48; Position 21
nosamluap
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nosamluap »

Big Boy wrote:nosamluap,

Please clarify - were you or your partner Thai, claiming re-patriation? If you were, then the rules on what you can take without paying duty have changed since my daughter re-patriated.
Both myself and my wife are English and shipping the carpet into Thailand (tying to) but sent it back as the cost of the taxes were ridiculous

Paul
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Hopefully, NikkiSixx's partner will be eligible for the exemption granted to Thai nationals who are re-patriating - maybe you should have sent your carpet with them :twisted:
Last edited by Big Boy on Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Points 48; Position 21
NikkiSixx

Post by NikkiSixx »

Thanks for the helpful responses as always! :cheers:
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

NikkiSixx, where the hell have you been? Haven't heard you for ages....
I would suggest buying a large Hard Drive and putting all your Cd's onto it thus eliminating the need to transport at least 3 boxes.
I carried one of my guitars over here (my beloved Lowden) but to be honest there cheap as chips here, and the humidity is a killer, so just buy one here, toss it after a couple of years and buy a new one.....
www.35mmview.com