Getting into Central Bangkok from Swampy

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
lomuamart

Getting into Central Bangkok from Swampy

Post by lomuamart »

Quite a few years ago, I used a high speed train service to and from Phaya Thai to Swampy (no stops) but a friend told me recently that this service doesn't run any more. However, there is a slower train that does the route and I can pick up the BTS from Phaya Thai as before.
Does anyone know if this is the case?
Big Boy

Re: Getting into Central Bangkok from Swampy

Post by Big Boy »

On the floor where the buses leave from (Ground or 1 - not sure if English or American), at the (Hua Hin Bus) end, a shuttle mini-bus leaves quite regularly.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

lomuamart wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:14 am Quite a few years ago, I used a high speed train service to and from Phaya Thai to Swampy (no stops) but a friend told me recently that this service doesn't run any more. However, there is a slower train that does the route and I can pick up the BTS from Phaya Thai as before.
Does anyone know if this is the case?
This was the case for me as recently as last month, and I’ve done it a few times prior to that in the last year. I wasn’t aware of any non-stop service, I’ve only ever taken the stopping train to Phaya Thai and taken the BTS from there. From memory it’s around 10 stops and takes no more than half an hour.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Thanks for the replies.
At a guess, JJB, I used that express service maybe 5 or 6 years ago. On the way out, at Phaya Thai, it was excellent with a large seating area with comfy armchairs and huge fans. Onto a modern train and whizzed to Swampy in 20 mins or so. I guess it didn't pay.
I remember I posted about it when I returned and raved about how long it had taken me from touchdown at Swampy to getting back to HH via this train, one stop BTS to Victory Monument and minibus from there. Can't be bothered to look for it now but it was quick.
Good to know that the current "slow" train takes only about 30 mins. I've got be be somewhere to see a man about a fitting for new golf clubs. The airport bus at 7am (booked this morning) gives us plenty of time to get to Asok/Phrom Phong.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

I think there are two main reasons that the express link was cancelled. The first is that they ran out of train spares and went to cannibalisation which reduced the available rolling stock. The second reason is that the line is run by a wholly owned subsidiary of State Railway of Thailand, hence the first reason.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Took both a few times. The express wasn't a whole lot faster, overall time wise. Percentage of time, maybe a third less time, but it's a fast trip anyway.

The express train was rather empty, every time I used it, and something like 3X the price.

Yes, in all their wisdom, they never ordered extra or replacement carriage or parts. I guess keeping the contract as low as possible. :roll:

Tic Toc Tic Toc, sh*t breaks down sooner or later. Cannibalized and added to 'city' line.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

The problem with the express line train was that while the journey only took 20 minutes, the train ran once every 40 minutes. The city line train takes about 45 minutes but going once every 20 minutes. So, unless you happened to arrive at the train station at a time close to departure for an express line train, and you had any way of knowing that you had arrived close to departure time, the chance of you saving any sort on meaningful time was pretty low.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

There is one line of tracks and the original plan had 2 different types of trains, one slower than the other. Can anybody see a problem with this plan?
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

laphanphon wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:17 amYes, in all their wisdom, they never ordered extra or replacement carriage or parts. I guess keeping the contract as low as possible. :roll:
Sure, having parts on hand means you don't have to cannibalize carriages. There's 2 good reasons for not ordering spare parts. Not having stock on hand means you've spent less if the project turns out to be a failure that no one wants to spend another baht on. Also means if you did have stock on hand, then discovered the warehouses or the boxes in them were empty, you saved money by not buying parts you'll never find.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

One advantage of the 'slower' train is that you have the option of getting off at Makkasan, from this station there isa covered walkway to the MRT station at Asok/Petchaburi.
lomuamart

Getting from Swampy into central Bangkok/Sukhumvit

Post by lomuamart »

I know we've touched on this before but I can't find the details.
Will probably be going to BKK next week and need to get to the Trendy Building on Sukhumvit. I know there's a train from Swampy into central BKK but can anyone tell me how regular they are, how long the journey takes and where to get off it for the above building.
I need to book an appointment to apply for a UK visa and I'm trying to get timings right.
Thanks.
Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

.The airport rail-link will take you approx 30 minutes to the final stop at Phaya Thai.
It departs from the basement level within the airport,scheduled to operate approx every 10-15 minutes.
From Phaya Thai take the BTS to Nana which has an exit at soi 11 Sukumvit,it should not take you more than 10 minutes to walk to the Trendy building in soi13.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Thanks.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Alternatively, get off at Makkasan and get the MRT at Phetchaburi, as suggested by Oakdale a few posts earlier. Get off the MRT at Sukhumvit (one stop away from Phetchaburi} and walk to Soi 13.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!