Ridiculous price of wine at Greyhound in Bluport

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Ridiculous price of wine at Greyhound in Bluport

Post by HarryVardon »

Yesterday my wife had a glass of wine at the Greyhound restaurant in Bluport. It was the house wine, a cheap Chardonnay. The cost was 290++ Baht, a total cost of 339.30 Baht. It was less than half full. I am sure the Greyhound bought the whole bottle for less than that. If you compare this to Wine Connection where you can buy a full bottle of a good Chardonnay for 460-500 Baht (550-500 Baht including taxes & service) then I know I won't be visiting the Greyhound again!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Ridiculous price of wine at Greyhound in Bluport

Post by handdrummer »

HarryVardon wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:02 pm Yesterday my wife had a glass of wine at the Greyhound restaurant in Bluport. It was the house wine, a cheap Chardonnay. The cost was 290++ Baht, a total cost of 339.30 Baht. It was less than half full. I am sure the Greyhound bought the whole bottle for less than that. If you compare this to Wine Connection where you can buy a full bottle of a good Chardonnay for 460-500 Baht (550-500 Baht including taxes & service) then I know I won't be visiting the Greyhound again!
It's the same at any upscale restaurant anywhere in the world. 1 full glass pays for the bottle. It's one way to compensate for the losses in the restaurant business.

Wine glasses are not filled so the wine can "breathe" and the flavor develop.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

I'm a happy wine camper at the moment. In Italy, cheap, cheap good reds :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Post by HarryVardon »

I certainly wouldn't call the Greyhound anywhere near upscale!!!!!
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

I mean... the prices are on the menu, are they not? And is said menu not displayed at the entrance to the restaurant?
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Greyhound Café is a chain of restaurants, popular with those Bangkokians that can afford it. The one near me in Thonglor has just had a major makeover and has basically doubled in size. The only thing I really like there are the fresh fruit drinks.
Talk is cheap
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

HarryVardon wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:20 pm I certainly wouldn't call the Greyhound anywhere near upscale!!!!!
Agree. Maybe call it, just casual, a notch above a basic place that provides AC, and proper silverware..... :roll:

Silly price for wine though, and yes, wine glasses always half full or less. Larger glasses a plus of course. :cheers: