Poor state of the Hua Hin-Black Mountain road

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Poor state of the Hua Hin-Black Mountain road

Post by usual suspect »

Having only recently returned to HH...I cannot believe the poor state of the road from Hua Hin all the way to (& past) Black Mountain..Road users beware, there are so many nasty deep potholes & lots of loose gravel all the way along!
It does rather seem like a fair slice of the road-budget has been used up around Huay Mongkol/Big buddha area..it now has great wide tarmac stretches with hardly any traffic to warrant the upgrade..oh well TiT.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Poor state of the Hua Hin-Black Mountain road

Post by StevePIraq »

BM are roads are becoming shocking, I am surprised BM golf course, water park etc. don't make high level complaints. It is the same in front of the court house on Soi 88 and going further up the hill. Treacherous on a motorbike especially when dark.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

I cycle along this road regularly and am glad of my full suspension mountain bike. Lots of heavy vehicles and no maintenance have made this road treacherous. The section just before big boom heading from town must be frightening for the expensive car owners collecting their kids from the international school, even the 4x4’s have to go slowly there and are all over the road to avoid the potholes. There is a Bangkok Post golf event soon at BM so perhaps it will lead to some repairs or maybe it will take the next PGA event for something to be done. Money usually speaks loudly here.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

That is also on my daily cycle route and it was in pretty good condition until they excavated another big hole out of the hillside on the right after the wakeboard course earlier this year. Over a month or so, the road got completely destroyed by all the trucks removing the spoil.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

STEVE G wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:39 am That is also on my daily cycle route and it was in pretty good condition until they excavated another big hole out of the hillside on the right after the wakeboard course earlier this year. Over a month or so, the road got completely destroyed by all the trucks removing the spoil.
This reflects on the basic construction of this and most roads in Thailand - they simply don’t make them to a standard that will withstand the 30 tonne trucks pounding them all day long
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

IMO the biggest problem is when minor repairs to a pot hole are done, they just dump asphalt from the back of a truck and drive off, no preparation/cleaning of the hole, no rolling and compaction after .
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

In my opinion, the situation was worsened when somebody filled the holes with stone chippings. As well as windscreen hazards, the small stone chips have ground away on small holes, making them into big holes.

Earlier in the year, the Tessebahn promised to start work when the new road budget was known in October - of course, they didn't say which year.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
JWWhite
Professional
Professional

Post by JWWhite »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:55 am In my opinion, the situation was worsened when somebody filled the holes with stone chippings. As well as windscreen hazards, the small stone chips have ground away on small holes, making them into big holes.

Earlier in the year, the Tessebahn promised to start work when the new road budget was known in October - of course, they didn't say which year.
The road in question is in Hin Lek Fai consisting of sub-district Hin Lek Fai, falls under Sub district administrative organization, not the Tessebahn, that seems to be the problem.
MY in BS full of BS.
“When people learn no tools of judgment and merely follow their hopes, the seeds of political manipulation are sown.” Stephen Jay Gould
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'll try to find the article that contained what I remember as a Tessebahn promise - it wouldn't be the first time I've got it wrong :D .

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

There we go, the old grey cells letting me down again :oops: . However, it was reported that the October pledge was made:
road.png
road.png (14.21 KiB) Viewed 670 times

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've driven the road twice today, and am pleased to report they've undertaken very temporary repairs, but the road was drivable.

It is still only just better than the surface of the moon, and one decent shower will wash the work away again, but a vast improvement.

Points 48; Position 20
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Rode and drove parts from Hua Hin out to Ban Wang Bost and while, as Big Boy says patching has been done in the section once you are over the hill (and into Hin Lek Fai’s administration area?) the section just past Da Vinci school is deteriorating fast. In the places where it has been patched it looks like bags of tar have just been thrown into the potholes. Will it last until Bangkok Posts golf tournament this Friday?
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

That's exactly what I said previously, sadly the workers appear to have no skills, training or supervision so it ends up as a temporary fix for 12 months max.