News of the Weird - this just in!

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: News of the Weird - this just in!

Post by Nereus »

Sinister tracks in wet concrete appear weeks before deadly discovery

https://au.news.yahoo.com/sinister-trac ... 26468.html

Concreters are probably used to finding their freshly poured slabs being stepped on by animals or people, or signed by someone who wants to leave their mark.

But one concreter in a coastal town in South Australia was likely not expecting to find a snake had slithered over the smooth surface while he was on a break.

A photo of the curious creature’s tracks, which were left behind earlier this month, was shared online by Snake Catchers Adelaide after they were called out to the property on Saturday when a deadly eastern brown was spotted in the yard of the same home.

“A concreter came back after lunch to find this… photo taken two weeks ago and today a brown snake was removed from the backyard in Carrickalinga,” Snake Catchers Adelaide wrote.

Snake catcher Ange Broadstock said she had not seen a snake leave a trail this way before.
“We thought we’ve pretty much seen everything and then we get something like that and it’s excellent. It’s exciting, ” snake catcher Ange Broadstock told Yahoo7.
“Only in Australia, hey.”
ed63351a093f106f9bcae2ebc8d2ddbb.jpg
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

"Australian man screaming at spider 'why don't you die?' triggers full police response

Police in Australia responded to reports of a man screaming "why don't you die?" by dispatching multiple units to a home in Perth.

But officers were soon told to stand down when they found a man who “had only been trying to kill a spider", according to the police log published online.

The alarm was raised when a passer-by heard a screaming child and a man repeatedly shouting.

In a tweet on Wednesday morning Wanneroo police shared their account of the unusual incident.

It cited the man’s “serious fear” of spiders, and added that there had been no injuries at the scene apart from those sustained by the spider.

The tweet read: “Multiple police units responded lights and sirens to the incident this morning. Never a dull moment for the Police!”

A police spokesman, Samuel Dinnison, said: "It's just one of those jobs where you go expecting to see one thing and see another."

He confirmed the tweet was later deleted from Twitter because it pictured internal police communication systems and because “there were just some typos in it, things like that”.

The man was reported to have apologised “for the inconvenience” he had caused.

A similar incident occurred in 2015 , when police in Sydney found a man screaming “I’m going to kill you, you’re dead” at a spider in his home."

https://news.yahoo.com/australian-man-s ... 37194.html
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Mystery Australian creature filmed by backpacker baffles the internet

https://au.news.yahoo.com/mystery-austr ... 34548.html

A backpacker’s “alien” discovery in Australia has baffled fellow travellers over its bizarre appearance.

Guy Shlomi took to Facebook on Monday to share a video of the miniature creature he stumbled upon at Victoria’s Lake Bolac, 90km west of Ballarat, during his travels across the country.

“Just another alien in Australia…” he wrote in the group Australia Backpackers.

Pulling it from the water, Mr Shlomi, from Israel, told Yahoo News he showed it to his friends in disbelief.
“I had never seen something like that so I grabbed him with my hand and showed him to my friends and we started to wonder what it is?” he explained.

The clip shows a small, sausage-shaped bug with a protruding tail edge and prominent dotted eyes make its way across a white fabric before rolling on its side.

And it seems scores of people were equally bamboozled by the mysterious find, with many desperate to find out what it is.
“That’s so creepy I didn’t even watch it until the end for fear of this being one of those jump scare videos,” one user proclaimed.

“Men in Black is real, and this thing is an alien,” another declared.
Others couldn’t help but notice the bug’s likeness to day to day items.

“This is what happens if you leave a tampon in too long,” one woman joked, garnering nearly 100 likes.

“Fry it up, it’s like a sausage but with a tail,” another suggested.

Some users suggested the insect was a rat-tailed maggot, with a handful of commenters saying they too had come across Mr Shlomi’s find.

Dr Tanya Latty, an entomologist at the University of Sydney, confirmed to Yahoo News the creature was a rat-tailed maggot and were common across Australia.
Dr Latty insisted despite the stir Mr Shlomi’s post had caused, the insects don’t pose a threat to humans and are a valuable asset to the nation as well as across the world.

“They are not harmful and are in fact beneficial insects,” she explained.
“They are the larvae of drone flies which are pollinators.”

Rat-tailed maggots are often found in damp conditions such as drains or toilets before moving to drier locations to pupate. They can grow up to 15cm in length including their tails, while most are around 2-3cm.

“They are found in pools of stagnant water,” the University of Wollongong’s Professor James Wallman explained to Yahoo News.
“The ‘tail’ is actually a long breathing tube that enables the maggot to breath while immersed.”

(cannot post PNG photos)
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Kid on a mission:

Bus driver rescues barefoot baby walking alone on footpath

https://au.news.yahoo.com/bus-driver-re ... 05316.html

An unlikely hero has rescued a barefoot baby walking alone on a footpath in the freezing cold.

Bus driver Irena Ivic had started her morning just like any other when she was shocked to see the baby boy on the side of the road in Milwaukee in the US state of Wisconsin in December.

She suddenly stopped the bus and dodged traffic to rescue the baby. She scooped the baby up in her arms and ran back to the bus.
“Oh my god, oh my god,” she said.
“I’m shaking.”

A Facebook post by Milwaukee County Transit System said the temperature was below freezing and all the child was wearing was a nappy and a onesie.

Passengers watched as Ms Ivic bought the baby back to the bus. One even offered her coat to keep the baby warm.
The child fell asleep in Ms Ivic’s arms as she waited for emergency services to arrive.

According to Milwaukee County Transit System, police said the baby’s mother left him outside and he was reunited with his father.

Ms Ivic said she was grateful she was in the right place at the right time to keep the baby safe.

The bus driver was honoured at a commendation ceremony on Thursday.
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

A few years ago I was driving in Stafford when I saw a toddler on the pavement all alone, the dilemma was do I stop to help and risk being accused of kidnap, or drive on.I stopped. picked him up and held him at arm`s length and took him into a pub across the road and sat him on the bar and asked if anyone knew who he was. A minute or so later a distraught granny ran into the pub to claim him
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Stowaway bird found taking business class 12 hours into Singapore-London SIA flight

SINGAPORE - A Singapore Airlines (SIA) flight headed to London's Heathrow Airport found it had an unintended passenger - a mynah.

Business-class passengers found themselves greeted by the avian stowaway about 12 hours into the flight. A typical Singapore-London flight takes about 14 hours.

In a statement on Sunday (Jan 13), an SIA spokesman confirmed that a bird was found on flight SQ322 last Monday (Jan 7).

"It was subsequently caught by cabin crew with the assistance of some of the passengers on board," said the spokesman.

In a video posted on Facebook, the mynah can be seen perched, seemingly unfazed, on top of an unsuspecting passenger's headrest.

An air steward is seen making a grab for the bird but it evades capture.

SIA said the bird was handed over to animal quarantine authorities once the aircraft touched down in London. The airline did not provide more information on how the bird got into the aircraft.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... s/30362205 (Photo at link)
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Hmm, not sure about this bloke? Maybe a Welsh recruit, or a Kiwi?
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….
Police officer's sweet gesture for distressed sheep during heatwave

https://au.news.yahoo.com/police-office ... 34826.html
A kind gesture for an injured animal struggling in the heat is melting hearts online.

The sheep, said to have a sore leg, was struggling to walk in scorching temperatures in Bourke, a town in northwest NSW, but fortunately police spotted it and came to her rescue.

Police had been carrying out a search warrant in relation to stolen stock and had been mustering a mob of sheep last Wednesday, when they came across the injured ewe, Acting Inspector Gavin Smith told Yahoo7.

The animal had fallen behind the mob and took shelter under a tree.
“That’s when police have picked up the ewe and stuck it in a nice air conditioned police vehicle,” Acting Inspector Gavin Smith said.

“The sheep actually remained in the police vehicle for about 45 minutes to cool down while the rest of the muster took place in about 43 degree heat.”

The sheep seems grateful to be in the car with Leading Senior Constable Travis Pocock, with a selfie of the pair showing the animal appearing very comfortable and nestling her head on the officer’s shoulder.

“She was sleeping on the policeman’s lap for a short while as well, so she certainly enjoyed it,” Acting Inspector Gavin Smith said. :shock:

According to the post on Facebook the ewe was buckled in and the senior constable took her to a holding pen.
More than 21,000 people have reacted to the picture of the pair in 18 hours, with many saying the officer was a “legend” and a “kind human”.

Numerous online users also acknowledged how relaxed the sheep looks after being removed from the heat.
“Look at this lil sheep’s face,” one person wrote, while another added it “actually looks happy”

“The affection and appreciation the sheep is showing the officer is incredible,” a third Facebook commented.
“Good on him. I’ve done this too. The result. A smelly car. But who cares. That’s easy fixed,” said another.
4836a613654481240a59f843a1ed5ae8.jpg
4836a613654481240a59f843a1ed5ae8.jpg (83.98 KiB) Viewed 285 times
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Looks like they should be smoking a cig
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Doctors save man by pumping 15 cans of beer into his body

https://au.news.yahoo.com/doctors-save- ... 06464.html

A man at risk of dying of alcohol poisoning has had 15 cans of beer pumped into his stomach by doctors.

Nguyen Van Nhat, 48, was unconscious in a hospital in Quang Tri, Vietnam, The Mirror reports.
Every hour he was out cold doctors pumped a can of beer into his stomach with 15 used over the day.

Dr Le Van Lam told local media the man’s level of methanol in his blood was 1,119 times higher than the appropriate limit.

Initially, three cans were used to slow down his liver processing the methanol but more were needed.
Dr Lam said that alcohol comes in two variants, ethanol and methanol, and the body breaks down ethanol as a priority even when a person is unconscious.

Ethanol is found in most alcoholic beverages while methanol is found in cleaning products, anti-freeze and bootlegged liquor.
Methanol poisoning can cause permanent blindness and potentially death.

By pumping beer into his body, with ethanol in it, doctors were able to perform a proper dialysis on him before the body processed all the methanol in his system.

He eventually regained consciousness. It’s not known what he had been drinking.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

migrant wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:04 pm Looks like they should be smoking a cig
Er, sheep can't smoke, their lips are the wrong shape! :wink:
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Nereus wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:55 pm
migrant wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:04 pm Looks like they should be smoking a cig
Er, sheep can't smoke, their lips are the wrong shape! :wink:
A pipe? :duck:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

"melting hearts online." That's a scary image.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Nereus wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:55 pm their lips are the wrong shape! :wink:
Tell that to the boys from Tonypandy!!
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

pharvey wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:34 am
Nereus wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:55 pm their lips are the wrong shape! :wink:
Tell that to the boys from Tonypandy!!
Are these the sheep that they prefer?
Rampage: Sheep in a Welsh village are believed to have eaten cannabis plants
Rampage: Sheep in a Welsh village are believed to have eaten cannabis plants
sheep.jpg (60.49 KiB) Viewed 237 times
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

^^This one has a hearing aid... :shock:
This is the way