Importing a dog into Thailand

A place to discuss all things pets, vets and animal care.
PET
Legend
Legend

Importing a dog into Thailand

Post by PET »

I would like to import a female Staffordshire Bull Terrier into Thailand. A female because I was told some years ago that males could only be imported if they had been neutered so I hope this is not the case with a female.
My next question is that all going well it would be imported from the UK and can you tell me the export and import requirements. Any other information that I need would be appreciated. Thanks
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
Big Boy

Re: Importing a dog into Thailand

Post by Big Boy »

If you don't have any response, I have a friend who did it with a Staffordshire Bull Terrier about 5 years ago - PM me with your e-mail, and I'll try to put you in touch. However, he often tells the tale that import of Staffordshire Bull Terriers (his was also female) is not permitted.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

I have also read that importing that breed is prohibited but, this is Thailand
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

From the Thai Embassy website:
1) Pets must be at least 4 months old to be able to import into Thailand.
2) Pit bull Terrier or American Staffordshire Terrier are prohibited for importation into Thailand.
3) As long as pets don’t show any sign of illness, they would not be quarantined.
** However, a quarantine officer has the discretionary authority to detain in a quarantine station any pets/animals seeking to pass through Thailand. **
4) More information about the Requirements for the Importation of Dogs and Cats into the Kingdom of Thailand. Please see below:
It specifically states 'American' so whether that covers 'English' as well is not clear.
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

HHTel wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:44 am From the Thai Embassy website:
1) Pets must be at least 4 months old to be able to import into Thailand.
2) Pit bull Terrier or American Staffordshire Terrier are prohibited for importation into Thailand.
3) As long as pets don’t show any sign of illness, they would not be quarantined.
** However, a quarantine officer has the discretionary authority to detain in a quarantine station any pets/animals seeking to pass through Thailand. **
4) More information about the Requirements for the Importation of Dogs and Cats into the Kingdom of Thailand. Please see below:
It specifically states 'American' so whether that covers 'English' as well is not clear.
The American Staffordshire is very different and is on the breeding lines of a Pit Bull
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Thanks for that. I didn't know. As they're so different, you would think they'd be named differently!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The problem may very well be convincing the Thai Gov people of the difference.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

HHTel wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:39 pm Thanks for that. I didn't know. As they're so different, you would think they'd be named differently!
They are. The AKC (American Kennel Club) is the US standard for breed definitions. They recognize:
Staffordshire Bull Terrier (mentioned by the OP)
American Staffordshire Terrier (mentioned in Thai law)

Anyone know the name of the British equivalent of the AKC? I wonder if they use the same breed names.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I didn't know there was a difference, so for anybody as confused as I am, the American is on the left.
vs.jpg
vs.jpg (231.81 KiB) Viewed 1064 times
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

FYI - According to dogtime.com, the Staffordshire Bull Terrier tolerates heat poorly. They're a 1 on a scale of 1 to 5. Might be worth learning more about.

https://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/stafford ... r#/slide/1
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

Homer wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:51 pm FYI - According to dogtime.com, the Staffordshire Bull Terrier tolerates heat poorly. They're a 1 on a scale of 1 to 5. Might be worth learning more about.

https://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/stafford ... r#/slide/1
No problem as I already have a bull terrier and he loves the heat. In another article it said that 'Staffies' ( Not American) liked the heat -
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

No problem as I already have a bull terrier and he loves the heat. In another article it said that 'Staffies' ( Not American) liked the heat -

I asked my dog what he thought about that and he said he likes air conditioning.
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

handdrummer wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:28 pm No problem as I already have a bull terrier and he loves the heat. In another article it said that 'Staffies' ( Not American) liked the heat -

I asked my dog what he thought about that and he said he likes air conditioning.
WTF ?????????????