New Police Order for Visa Extensions

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
lomuamart

New Police Order for Visa Extensions

Post by lomuamart »

I've seen elsewhere that the law has been clarified with regard to retirement, marriage and support of Thai child visa extensions. This comes in the form of a new Police Order that was signed off on December 26th 2018.
It should be emphasised that this doesn't have final confirmation yet and the translation of the relevant clauses may not be 100% correct, but the gist of things would seem to be along the lines of what everyone has been talking about for some time.
A translation is below. I can't verify this yet:

2.18 In the case of family member (mother, father, male or female spouse, child, adopted child or child of spouse) with Thai nationality. Can be authorized for not more than 1 year.

Process

Evidence of annual income that equates to no less than B40,000 per month of alien father, mother or spouse such as.

1. Tax receipts of the supporting relative. (Presumably Thai tax receipts for a foreigner working in Thailand supporting foreign spouse, parent or child, e.g. you have a Thai wife and support your mother or non-Thai child from a previous marriage living in Thailand).

2. Evidence of a pension. Letter of certification from a Thai bank supported by bank statements showing a pension being transferred to the pensioner’s bank account every month for at least 12 months. Exceptions are allowed for those who have been retired for less than one year – example given.

3. Evidence of income from a foreign embassy or consulate.

For retirement extensions of no more than 1 year evidence of average monthly income of B65,000 is required.

1. Evidence of pension. Same as 2 above,

2. Evidence of income from a foreign embassy or consulate. [/i][/b]

There are a few questions that jump out at me initially, namely will Imm only accept pension income rather than income from other sources and what happens if you can't get 12 months of transfers together before your next extension date?

The savings in a Thai bank account are unchanged.

All-in-all, this looks like good news for those extending by income. I suppose more will become apparent in due course.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Re: New Police Order for Visa Extensions

Post by RCer »

RE: Proof of deposits.

Is a bankbook sufficient?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It should be, but I'm transferring via Transferwise, so am keeping the transfer documentation electronically, just in case I need to print it.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Something not clear. B. 65,000 per month and what about B. 800,000 in bank 3 months prior to visa extension ? Is there any change ?
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

When you state Police Order what exactly do you mean? The police only implement the laws they do not make the laws. Signed off by who, the Immigration Department, Government Gazette.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Does it need to be signed off by anybody? Nothing has changed as far as the Thais are concerned. They are simply clarifying how the law of the land will be implemented.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
T.O.M.
Banned
Banned

Post by T.O.M. »

StevePIraq wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:23 am When you state Police Order what exactly do you mean? The police only implement the laws they do not make the laws. Signed off by who, the Immigration Department, Government Gazette.
My understanding is that a Police Order is a manual for officials on how to enforce an existing law.
So in many ways the Police Order is more important than the law itself.
ric
Amateur
Amateur

Post by ric »

Is the option of 800,000 THB in your Thai bank account for at least 3 months still accepted by Thai Immigration ?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Yes. Basically, there is no rule change.
ric
Amateur
Amateur

Post by ric »

HHTel wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:55 pm Yes. Basically, there is no rule change.
Thank you !!
RCer
Ace
Ace

New Retirement Visa Income Rules?

Post by RCer »

Anyone seen an Official Copy of the new rules yet?

We went to Immigration in Pathum Thani today and were informed they were still doing things the same way as last year.

I do my 90 day on the 1st, so will ask again.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: New Retirement Visa Income Rules?

Post by HHTel »

I'm not sure you will see any as, in principle at least, there have been no change to the rules. You have always been required to show an income of 65k/40k or a bank deposit of 800k/400k. The only difference is that some embassies will not issue 'income letters' any more.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Re: New Retirement Visa Income Rules?

Post by RCer »

HHTel wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:51 pm I'm not sure you will see any as, in principle at least, there have been no change to the rules. You have always been required to show an income of 65k/40k or a bank deposit of 800k/400k. The only difference is that some embassies will not issue 'income letters' any more.
Which according to the conversation at Immigration today means you have 1 option. 800k in a Thai bank for 3 months. Because they know the embassies are no longer certifying income.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The original police order 327/2557 (the one still valid) states:
(1) Must have been granted a non­immigrant visa (NON­IM).
(2) Must be 50 years of age or over.
(3) Must have evidence of having income of no less than Baht 65,000 per month: or
(4) On the filing date, the applicant must have funds deposited in a bank in Thailand of no
less than Baht 800,000 for the past three months. For the first year only, the applicant must
have proof of a deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no
less than 60 days prior to the filing date: or
(5) Must have an annual earning and fluids deposited with a bank totaling no less than
Baht 800,0000 as of the filing date.
(6) An alien who entered the Kingdom before October 21, 1998 and has been
consecutively permitted to stay in the Kingdom for retirement shall be subject to the following
criteria:
(a) Must be 60 years of age or over and have an annual fixed income with fluids
maintained in a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht 200,000 or have
a monthly income of no less than Baht 20,000
(b) If less than 60 years of age but not less than 55 years of age, must have an annual
fixed income with funds maintained in a bank account for the past three months of no less
than Baht 500,000 or have a monthly income of no less than Baht 50,000
So what has changed?
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

The new order is on the immigration web site, but only in Thai.

I printed it and showed it to the head of Pathum Thani immigration. She agreed that her clerk was wrong.

There are 2 options.

1. 800k in a Thai bank for 3 months. You need a letter from the bank stating such.

2. Deposits in a Thai bank every month of 65k or more every month. Again, you need a letter from the bank showing your deposits.

Letters showing income from outside Thailand are not acceptable.

We did not discuss anything beyond that.