Price comparison FOOD - Hua Hin/U.K

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
buksida

Re: Price comparison FOOD - Hua Hin/U.K

Post by buksida »

This place cracks me up at times. A topic started on cheaper groceries in the UK ends up discussing US rental properties on Craigslist. :duck:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

These seem missing:

:offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic:
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Lost wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:30 pmWe pay a pound for a
IMPORTED
Lost wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:30 pm tin of baked beans here. 30p in the UK (or 15p if you want that cheap shite).
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

buksida wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:57 am This place cracks me up at times. A topic started on cheaper groceries in the UK ends up discussing US rental properties on Craigslist. :duck:
If you follow the posts back 1 or 2 posts you'll see how it ended up there. I suppose it could be called an addenda. Maybe we need more post police to insure that nothing other than the titled topic is discussed. All else must be forbidden, after all, TIT.
Hipop
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Hipop »

It kinda cracks me up to hear you guys moaning about the cost of living in Hua Hin. I am currently residing in Dubai UAE, (I'm soon to move to HH in a couple of weeks), where a pint of beer or glass of wine will cost you in the region of 400-450 bht. You really need to start being thankful for the frugal lifestyle Thailand is offering you all. I cant wait to get to the bar and order a pint of Chang or Sigha for 5-6 Bht.

For you tea-totallers, disregard the above paragraph!!!
Hipop
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Hipop »

Sorry - the thai beer prices should have been 55-60 bht.... :roll:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Hipop wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:10 pm Sorry - the thai beer prices should have been 55-60 bht.... :roll:
Even so, I don’t think you’ll find a pint of Chang or Singha on offer in a HH bar for 55-60 Baht - but having previously worked/lived in the UAE for many years, I know how expensive it is there.
Hipop
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Hipop »

Try Hua Hin 99 Cafe - along from Baan Khun Por Food Market.......these are the prices there.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Just as a matter of interest, I've just had a microwave dinner - chicken pad thai. It was an impulse buy from my local Morrisons, mainly due to the fact that it was only 35p as it was a couple of hours from its expiry date. Somewhat to my surprise it was quite tasty! Normal price £3.50 (about 140 THB), and while I won't be buying it every week, I'll certainly have it again at some point.
This is the way
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

Homer wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:31 pm
Lost wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:30 pmWe pay a pound for a
IMPORTED
Lost wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:30 pm tin of baked beans here. 30p in the UK (or 15p if you want that cheap shite).
Stuff in the U.K that is imported from SE Asia doesn't have nearly the same markup as stuff imported into Hua Hin. Sacks of rice and packaged noodles are a good example.

Who has come out of Macro, Tescos etc with a 3-4000 baht bill more often than not for a couple of weeks food (£100 lets say)? That kind of money will do a monthly shop in the UK.

Unless you are eating seafood, morning glory and rice each day, with the customary fried egg - food is more expensive in Hua Hin than it is the UK.

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

buksida wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:57 am This place cracks me up at times. A topic started on cheaper groceries in the UK ends up discussing US rental properties on Craigslist. :duck:
:lach:

As is with discussion, we'll often stray...

:D
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Trying to make comparisons of food costs varies considerably depending on what you eat - try to eat predominantly Thai food in the UK and it will cost a lot more than in Thailand, similarly, try to eat UK style food in Thailand and it will cost more than in the UK. We tend to mix it up, probably 70% Thai, 30% western and I’m sure the cost works out less for us here than it would in the UK, not by a huge margin although the quality and variety here is definitely less - eating out here is definitely less than in the UK for 90%+ of food items
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I think you are right there DB, it depends upon what you eat. I saw you at an Indian Restaurant a few weeks ago, so let's use Indian food as the middle ground. At that particular restaurant, the pricing structure is fairly simple - vegetable dishes - 150 Baht, chicken dishes 200 Baht and lamb dishes 250 Baht (of course there were fish or shrimp dishes, but I never look at those).

When we lived together in the UK, Indian food was Mrs BB's preference. I don't think, even 7 years later (ignoring UK inflation) any restaurant we used in the UK could compare, price or quality wise.

I know overall I live cheaper here in Thailand. My pension is only 50% of my salary, and I'm comfortable (don't forget the 20+% reduction in the value of the £ also). If prices were comparable to the UK, I'd be destitute, and the only way I could see anybody at any restaurant would be if they were sifting through the same bins.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

Dannie Boy wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:01 am eating out here is definitely less than in the UK for 90%+ of food items
That is absolutely true, and for those who do like to venture out most nights for a meal, Hua Hin will be a damn site cheaper than the UK. For those who enjoy nights at home cooking, glass of wine and a movie - UK is cheaper.

:cheers:

Edit: Posts crossed BB. Yes, eating out is a fortune in UK.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Good post DB. In any country if you eat local produce then obviously cheaper than imported.

'When in Rome .........."

Really makes this thread quite meaningless.