New retirement visa rule - show 800k every 3 months

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
PET
Legend
Legend

Re: New retirement visa rule - show 800k every 3 months

Post by PET »

If one is married to a Thai then go the marriage visa route - that has to be the easier way to go IMO
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

PET wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:00 pm If one is married to a Thai then go the marriage visa route - that has to be the easier way to go IMO
I've the procedure. Marriage visa is a pain in the butt.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

RCer wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:42 pm
PET wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:00 pm If one is married to a Thai then go the marriage visa route - that has to be the easier way to go IMO
I've the procedure. Marriage visa is a pain in the butt.
The marriage visa is only easier financially, 400,000 in the bank and 40,000 a month incoming,the paper work "is a pain in the butt." But, for the 400,000 & 40,000 difference it's worth it to me.
T.O.M.
Banned
Banned

Post by T.O.M. »

malcolminthemiddle wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:52 pm
T.O.M. wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:08 pm
malcolminthemiddle wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:23 pm

An updated bank pass book at the time of filing proves everything.

If the criteria are not met you will be on immediate overstay once the previous extension expires.

A new bank letter for each of the 90 days reports is unnecessary as you only have to prove the criteria has been met once, at the end of the 12 months period at the time of filing.

Because the criteria are spread over a 12 months period, the new rule only becomes effective 12 months from the date of the expiration of any existing extension after 1st March 2019. For example: for an existing extension expiring on 2nd March 2019 you would have to prove the criteria has been met at the next application for extension due on 2nd March 2020.

This new rule has not been well thought out and I suspect unlikely to become effective.
I doubt very much they will require financial proof only at the time of filing...But just like you I am only second guessing

But the fact remains...whoever is unlucky enough to do his extension on 2nd March 2019 will have to keep the 800k in his account until 2nd of June...and make sure that the balance from then doesn't drop below 400k at any time before the next extension 2nd March 2020.

As for your last sentence...couldn't agree more and hope you are right.

Sorry I screwed up...so my reply ended within the quote.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

But the good side (?) is that only 400,000 needs to be added for the next renewal.
malcolminthemiddle
Guru
Guru

Post by malcolminthemiddle »

But just like you I am only second guessing
No second guessing from me. Only statement of facts.
T.O.M.
Banned
Banned

Post by T.O.M. »

malcolminthemiddle wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:17 pm
Stating facts according to you....
Please provide a link where Thai immigration confirms that there will no checks of financial records between extensions...Extensions after the 1st of March 2019 that is.
malcolminthemiddle
Guru
Guru

Post by malcolminthemiddle »

T.O.M. wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:34 pm
malcolminthemiddle wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:17 pm
Stating facts according to you....
Please provide a link where Thai immigration confirms that there will no checks of financial records between extensions...Extensions after the 1st of March 2019 that is.

You mean extensions after 1st March 2020?

The link is in your previous post on 31st Jan.

A check before 1st March 2020 would be meaningless because the remaining balance of 400K must stay in the bank until 29th Feb 2020 as you mentioned in your previous post on 2nd Feb. Do not confuse the 90 day reporting and application for extension, they are two separate processes. Seems it is not only Thai Immigration who are confused. Over and out.
T.O.M.
Banned
Banned

Post by T.O.M. »

^^^
You will make an excellent politician.
No I mean extensions after 1st March 2019.....Whoever extends after that date will fall under the new rule.
They have to keep their 800k in their account for a further 3 months.....And you claim for a "fact" that immigration will not check that before the time of the next filing (in 2020).....I doubt that, and asked you kindly to provide a link confirming, that there will be no financials checks between extensions. Since it is a "fact" it shouldn't be that difficult to find....

PS. Thanks for the information about the difference between extensions and 90 day reports. Have only been here 17 years...
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The checks being made at the next extension application makes sense. The rules come in on 1st March. It would be sensible to check as part of the next application. They don't check your 800K balance 3 months before your extension. No they check whilst processing your extension that it's been there for 3 months. It makes perfect sense to check that you have abided by the rules when you apply for your next extension.
pitsch
Guru
Guru

Post by pitsch »

Perfect sense for us. But for the immigration??
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The thing is that they approve an extension of stay based upon the last 12 months. I can't see how that will change. If they check 3 months after granting your extension, what are they going to do? Revoke an already agreed 'Permission to Stay'. I don't think so.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

I think the title "every 3 months" is misleading. The directive just says 3 months after extension.

As I read it, the intent is not to burn retirees, rather to shut down the sketchy brokers with their fake income paper schemes.
T.O.M.
Banned
Banned

Post by T.O.M. »

RCer wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:26 am I think the title "every 3 months" is misleading. The directive just says 3 months after extension.

As I read it, the intent is not to burn retirees, rather to shut down the sketchy brokers with their fake income paper schemes.
I agree the title is misleading......The moderators changed my original title and forgot a question mark. Should be "Every 3 months ?"
As for your second part...How can sketchy brokers get away with their scams without equally sketchy immigration officers being involved...??
T.O.M.
Banned
Banned

Post by T.O.M. »

HHTel wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:57 pm The thing is that they approve an extension of stay based upon the last 12 months. I can't see how that will change. If they check 3 months after granting your extension, what are they going to do? Revoke an already agreed 'Permission to Stay'. I don't think so.
Hope you are right.
But you have to admit, there is a big difference in proving your financials 3 months prior to extension (old rules) and proving that you meet the requirements starting 364 days prior to your next extension (new rules). So the question here is do immigration 'trust' us enough to let a whole year pass without any checks.
Time will show.