Journey's end for Nancy Chandler's Bangkok maps

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
buksida

Journey's end for Nancy Chandler's Bangkok maps

Post by buksida »

For almost half a century, a colorful map highlighting secret soi haunts has been a backpack staple of every dedicated visitor to Bangkok. But the family business behind those maps has finally succumbed to the rise of Google Maps.

The company that produces Nancy Chandler’s Map of Bangkok, the exploration bible of every paper-based tourist and expat since the 70s, is shutting its presses after 45 years in business due to declining sales. The last maps will be printed in May.

“‘You gave us the confidence to explore, to venture outside our hotel or our new home’…‘Nancy Chandler, you saved my life when I moved to Thailand,’” Nima Chandler, Nancy’s daughter, recalled feedback she has received over the years. “The maps help share memories, and our love for Thailand.”

Nima, now 51, joined her mother’s business in 1997 with general manager Varisara Bejrakashem and graphic designer Roengsak Chankasem, who have each clocked in 22 years at the company. Nima has since retired. Perhaps surprisingly, the research and marketing of the tourist and expat staple fell into the hands of two Thais who know the city perhaps better than anyone.

Source: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/life/arts ... gkok-maps/

Sign of the times as Google and Fackbook swallow up the planet. Never used these but did often refer to the maps in the Lonely Planet books when on the road 20 years ago.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Journey's end for Nancy Chandler's Bangkok maps

Post by handdrummer »

What a shame. So much easier to use than internet maps. I don't have a smart phone and Her maps have been a great help exploring Bangkok.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

handdrummer wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 4:16 pm So much easier to use than internet maps. I don't have a smart phone
If you don't have a smart phone how can you give an objective opinion on how much easier to use online maps are, or are not?
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Pleng wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 6:15 pm
handdrummer wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 4:16 pm So much easier to use than internet maps. I don't have a smart phone
If you don't have a smart phone how can you give an objective opinion on how much easier to use online maps are, or are not?
My wife and 2 daughters have smart phones, I have used them, I just don't need one. Does that satisfy your curiosity?
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

A friend gave me one on arrival years ago. When the next edition came out, i bought a new one, the old one had fallen to pieces from use. They also had a useful service of answering questions too, Sad.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

I had a look at the last edition, June 2019, of Nancy Chandler's Bangkok ed.
If you've had an older one keep it. The new has been cheapened. There used to be lines between entries and that made each entry easy to distinguish, the new edition eliminates the lines and it's difficult to tell one entry from another. They eliminated the cover folder pockets and now the map and booklet fall out when you pick it up. All the info is now online, so apart from the map it's not necessary. I don't know if the map is online.