Villa Market - beware out of date goods

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Fandango
Amateur
Amateur

Villa Market - beware out of date goods

Post by Fandango »

Recently, we went to the small Villa Market in the centre of town.

We were in a rush and only when we got home did we notice that both the milk and yoghurt that we had bought was already out of date.

In a small contribution to plastic reduction we had, some time before, bought four of their canvas bags. At the time of paying for a lot of food and drink we dumped these four bags on the check out counter and in front of the young Thai man who works there packing groceries. I suppose my wife and I each thought the other was watching. The packer wheeled the trolley out to the car and put the bags in the back - in plastic not our bags.

Our mistakes born from too much trust. We now shop elsewhere.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Villa Market - beware out of date goods

Post by HHTel »

I don't do a lot of shopping at Villa but the times I have, the 'packer' has always taken my bag and packed accordingly.
With regards to expiry dates, these can be confusing if only numbers are used. i.e. DD/MM/YY or MM/DD/YY. Both formats are used depending upon the source. You can only really be sure if the date is past the 12th of a month.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Fandango wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 9:58 am Recently, we went to the small Villa Market in the centre of town.

We were in a rush and only when we got home did we notice that both the milk and yoghurt that we had bought was already out of date.

In a small contribution to plastic reduction we had, some time before, bought four of their canvas bags. At the time of paying for a lot of food and drink we dumped these four bags on the check out counter and in front of the young Thai man who works there packing groceries. I suppose my wife and I each thought the other was watching. The packer wheeled the trolley out to the car and put the bags in the back - in plastic not our bags.

Our mistakes born from too much trust. We now shop elsewhere.
Out of date ! How many days ????
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

In Thai news there was an article about Villa selling out of date processed meats. Apparently, Villa has been cited for this in the past but just like selling alcohol during restricted times they continue to get away with it.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

handdrummer wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 2:03 pm In Thai news there was an article about Villa selling out of date processed meats. Apparently, Villa has been cited for this in the past but just like selling alcohol during restricted times they continue to get away with it.
Be happy that some places sell alcohol during restricted times.
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

OP - you need to pay attention to what is going on.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

It's not unusual to find out of date stuff in any of the supermarkets and convenience stores.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

hhinner wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 4:17 pm It's not unusual to find out of date stuff in any of the supermarkets and convenience stores.
I don’t know whether all their outlets do the same, but the Big C market in Cha Am has a counter where items approaching their “sell by date” are reduced in price, although as far as I’m aware, nothing is past its sell by date. This is a common practice adopted by most UK supermarkets - Villa Market should consider adopting a similar practice!!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Sell by is ok. . Out of date food in tins is ok. Out of date meat is not ok.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

^^ I think most Thai supermarkets operate a similar scheme.

Milk is one of my pet hates - I find myself going through about a dozen bottles each day to find the freshest date. Sometimes in the front, sometimes in the middle and sometimes at the back. I really cringe when the milk I buy today, is older than the milk I bought yesterday.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

But surely, most of the milk here is reconstituted which is why it lasts for such a long time. Truly fresh milk deteriorates quite quickly once opened.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

HHTel wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 5:49 pm But surely, most of the milk here is reconstituted which is why it lasts for such a long time. Truly fresh milk deteriorates quite quickly once opened.
What is "reconstituted milk"? I only buy "Longlife" UHT and low fat at that, unless it is for making something special such as custard. There is a huge fresh milk industry in Thailand, and the only report of any problem with it is when some ****hole supplying free milk to schools for kids dilutes it! :guns:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I'll 'dilute' my post. After doing a bit of googling, I find that milk from a 'raw milk' source has increased massively over the last decade. However, Thailand is far from being self-sufficient and the dairy production reached it's full capacity a few years ago. So while demand increases, production does not.
Thailand imports to bridge the shortfall.
There was a time when much of the milk was reconstituted from powder but that is much less than it used to be.
Nereus, UHT (Ultra High Heat treated) will last unrefrigerated for months, but it certainly doesn't taste the same. Pasteurised milk is also heat treated.
'Raw Milk' (straight from the cow) I believe can only be bought directly from the farm but it goes without saying that there is a health risk.

I think we've ventured off the topic although it does identify that the shelf life of milk can be a few days or a few months depending how it's treated.

Personally, I remember back in the day when your bottle of milk on the doorstep had all the cream at the top and if it was left out there too long, the birds got the cream.
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

maybe the 1000 + staff should check the dates on products, instead of their phones
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I think we've ventured off the topic although it does identify that the shelf life of milk can be a few days or a few months depending how it's treated.
Yes, it needs a thread of its own.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!