Cricket world cup

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Cricket world cup

Post by lindosfan1 »

The World cup one day cricket started today.
Played over 50 overs each

England 311 for 8
South Africa 207 all out

England win by 104 runs

Good win England are the favourites.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Cricket world cup

Post by lindosfan1 »

Pakistan 105 all out
West Indies 108 for 3
All over in 34 overs the West Indies thrashed the Pakistanis
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
HarleBen
Amateur
Amateur

Post by HarleBen »

I am not able to see cricket anymore. Service operators just removed Willow TV from my subscription and told me they wanted to add nbc due to football. I mean yeah I watch football but it's OFF SEASON! Cricket world cup is happening rn why the hell do you want to remove the only channel of US that broadcast wc matches?

So far I am only catching up with highlights. Reading a few blogs I think I'll go for streaming option now coz this whole thing is frustrating.

[Mod Edit] Link removed.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Wow!!! What can I say? I hate cricket with a vengeance, but yesterday was the World Cup Final, and I'm getting desperate for England to bring something home.

My view of what I saw was NZ had everything under total control until about 3 overs from the end. Then a 6, followed by a terrible mistake for another 6 and England stood a remote (I still thought impossible) chance.

It came down to the last ball, and England needed 1 to draw and 2 to win. After what seemed an eternity of cricket, it was a draw.

Then the cricket equivalent of the penalty shoot out - a super over each.. I couldn't keep up, I was actually getting quite excited. It was basically a case of the batsman hit the ball as hard as they could, and score without the usual faffing about of cricket. This was more like it - action cricket. I think (not sure) it still ended a draw, but England were awarded the cup because it was their ball (I honestly don't know how they turned a draw into a win, but it came home). Or maybe England did win, but I was overcome with excitement.

I had to feel for the New Zealanders who had everything under control until about 3 from the end. They must be the unluckiest losers of a World Cup Final ever.

Well, that's my cricket ignoramus view of what I watched last night. It was great entertainment, but I doubt I'll be rushing to watch another cricket match any time soon. Hopefully, somebody who knows what they're talking about will come on and explain what really happened. Who knows, maybe it was all part of a great England master plan, and they were in full control all of the time.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've just been advised that they won the super over draw because they scored more boundaries.

Points 48; Position 20
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Yes great fun. Very tense and close throughout. Some great bowling by NZ who were really putting England under the cosh. But Stokes luck on the Boundary catch and the accidental 4 extra runs put England back in with a chance, which they took. Stokes was the star turn really, but there were many great performances and a few bad ones for England with the bat. Would have been great to have been there. Cricket is far better live than watching via TV.
Talk is cheap
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:01 am I've just been advised that they won the super over draw because they scored more boundaries.
Yes - that's correct. Nothing to do with my knowledge of cricket - just seen it on BBC news!! :D :wink:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:lach: another cricket ignoramus, I'm not alone :thumb:

Points 48; Position 20
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

First Test-- I've been saying for years that the 5 day Test is a hang-over from more leisurly times, but this Test was really good to watch.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

oakdale160 wrote:First Test-- I've been saying for years that the 5 day Test is a hang-over from more leisurly times, but this Test was really good to watch.
Not if you’re English - the last day batting performance by England was atrocious!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Or on the other hand, good Aussie bowling.
Incidentaley, it is amazing how good the camerawork and imaging is nowadays, you can really appreciate the skills of the bowlers.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

oakdale, if you want to discuss Test Cricket, why not start a thread, rather than hiding it inside another thread? :?

Because you've hidden it, people will think this discussion is about the Cricket World Cup, and have no relevance to Test Cricket :banghead: You've said many times previously that you hate a thread being taken off subject - maybe you need to look closer to home.

Points 48; Position 20