Document Disposal

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
lomuamart

Document Disposal

Post by lomuamart »

I've had a major clear up of paperwork that dates back years and that I don't need any more. It's all sitting in four carrier bags.

Identity theft is a big issue back in the UK and whilst there's no banking stuff in the rubbish, I'd prefer to make sure that the papers are destroyed correctly.

I don't want to start a fire where we live and I also think the local wat is a non-starter.

Anyone got any suggestions? I just don't feel comfortable dumping the stuff in a communal bin.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Document Disposal

Post by hhinner »

You could buy a shredder.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Yes, I could.

Researched that for my father when back in the UK recently. He had 10 sacks. I've only got 4 carrier bags.

This is over 15 years of stuff and relative to other people, I really don't have that much. It's just been hoarded and never thrown away. The cost of a shredded simply isn't justified.

I suppose it'll come down to scissors with a few beers to see me through.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Yes, I agree it becomes a big problem. I have a shredder, but there is an accumulation of stuff that needs keeping for a couple of years, and then it becomes too much to put through a shredder.

I have thought about getting one of those small ceramic bucket type cooking fires, but I guess it may still be a problem depending on where you live.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Maybe I'll put the stuff in the back of the car and if I see an opportunity, I'll add it to a farmer's fire.

But I suppose that would be eco-unfriendly?

And yes, Nereus, I've had to keep some stuff for legal and tax reasons back in the UK.
musungu
Professional
Professional

Post by musungu »

My wife , bless her, disposes of mine by burning in a small thai BBQ Height 12ins diam 10ins in the garden when there is no wind. No problem and pretty quick even though only 2/3 pages at a time
Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Is there not one of the printing shops with a shredder? If so, I'm sure they would allow you to shred your stuff for a small charge.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Probably too much money and may not be possible since they are in BKK but found this company https://www.dataexpert.co.th/services.html

I used similar services in the US for my business and prices were reasonable. Here........
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

A small shredder is not expensive. Just need to use it as stuff arrives, rather than wait until a big lot accumulates.

Or you could join the steam preservation society and feed it into a steam engine. :rasta:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/ttlif ... 8cQAvD_BwE
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Thanks for all the replies.

There's a decent copying centre around the corner from me so I'll ask there. Hadn't thought of that.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

Could you put in a bucket, add water and some detergent and let it sit for a day or two, turning it into papier-mâché or pulp? It could then be tipped out and dried in the sun before throwing away and totally indecipherable.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

^^Brilliant, JJB! I bet you have a Blue Peter badge! :cheers:
This is the way
T.O.M.
Banned
Banned

Post by T.O.M. »

Paranoia is alive and well... :naughty:

Identity theft by Somchai the garbage collector..... :banghead:
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:26 am ^^Brilliant, JJB! I bet you have a Blue Peter badge! :cheers:
I wish! :thumb:
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde