Reuters: "Ocean Shock"

Discussion on science, nature and technology across the globe.
PeteC

Reuters: "Ocean Shock"

Post by PeteC »

I haven't had a chance to go through this yet as quite long and detailed. Anything you find glaringly wrong please let us know. Pete :cheers:

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/se ... ean-shock/
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Re: Reuters: "Ocean Shock"

Post by STEVE G »

I can't get that to open completely on my computer Pete, is it this story?

Climate change: Oceans 'soaking up more heat than estimated'

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-46046067
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

No not related to any BBC article/study at all IMO. I don't know how to help as opens on my system. It's filled with sub-categories as shown in the pic below. Maybe try on a different browser or connection when time? Pete :cheers:

phpuuDulEAM.jpg
phpuuDulEAM.jpg (85.08 KiB) Viewed 1545 times
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

It opens ok for me using Win10 and Edge.

Need a rainy day to wade through all of it! But the basic problem as I see it, is the never ending increase in the World population. I just wonder when nature will take a hand and introduce some cataclysm that both reduces the current population, and then leads to a drastic reduction in the birth rate. It matters not that this article just focuses on the oceans and fishing, it is a far greater problem than just that.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I couldn't agree more, and there are more and more voices out there now saying the same thing. Taboo subject in the past IMO, but no longer when extinction may be staring us in the face.

For a few decades now some very smart mathematicians and scientists have said human population was at a sustainable peak in 1950 at 2 billion. At that number all flora and fauna are in balance and use of resources sustainable and renewable. Right after 1950, human population began to soar to where it is today at an unbelievable 7+ billion, headed to 9 predicted before the end of this century.

I'm afraid our demise, or some huge catastrophe knocking our population back to close to 1950 level, is a fait accompli. Nature does things like that with all living species to rebalance.

The argument about global warming being caused by man, or a natural and periodic occurrence makes absolutely no difference. It couldn't and can't be stopped either way, just slowed a very small bit by the efforts we're seeing now. People need to eat, be clothed, housed, warmed, cooled, watered and earn money under our system in order to survive. That can't be done without ever increasing usage of everything to meet the demands of an ever increasing human population.

How could it have been predicted in 1950 that usage of resources and pollution would reach the levels they are today in order to start programs then? It couldn't have been, completely impossible. You would have needed supernatural intervention to see the future.

...and we have the good old Catholic Church who to this day won't allow birth control, and we all see quite easily what that is doing to populations in Catholic third world countries. I have a right to be critical being born, raised and educated as one.

I really fear for the future of my children and grand children. It's not going to be pleasant at all. Pete
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

How could it have been predicted in 1950 that usage of resources and pollution would reach the levels they are today in order to start programs then? It couldn't have been, completely impossible. You would have needed supernatural intervention to see the future.

Actually, some people did predict a lot of that but I suppose there were too many vested interests opposing change:

"Greiling, in his work Wie werden wir leben? Ein Buch von den Aufgaben unserer Zeit (How are we going to live? A book of the tasks of our time; 1954), foresaw the rest of the 20th century as a time in which there would, for the present, further be overexploited natural resources. He foretold that from 1990 to 1995, there would begin systematic international efforts to mitigate climate change and that, shortly after the turn of the millennium, there would for the first time come about a sudden and crisis-laden shortage of the international supply of petroleum. World population would balance out at about nine billion, rather earlier than later in the 21st century. During the 21st century, mankind would succeed to cooperate internationally in shifting to biological raw materials. This and big undertakings to humidify the Sahara, Turkestan and further regions of the Earth would make it possible to feed ten billion people with comparative ease. Greiling warns of attempts to use nuclear energy. He starts the question how one would handle the newly gained wealth, once the pressing difficulties would be overcome so that people would be urged to pause for inspiration."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Greiling
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

The argument about global warming being caused by man, or a natural and periodic occurrence makes absolutely no difference.
There was just an interview with some professor or other on BBC news an hour ago. In one part of the link that you have posted it mentions about how the fish are trying to move towards the poles because of rising sea temperatures.

The professor claims that if we were able to stop any further rises in the ocean temperatures today, it would take several hundred years for them to just give up the stored heat and return the temperature to what it was 50 or 60 years ago. (that's if there is any water left amongst the plastic floating around!)
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Not sure where to post this, but as the documentary mostly revolves around ocean pollution here may be the place.
Maybe somebody can find a better link to the full report?
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….
Like her or not(and she can put her shoes under my bed any time that she likes), Liz Bonnin files a wide reaching documentary about both river and ocean pollution. Some of what is shown in Indonesia is unbelievable. She points out that plastic pollution is being found from the bottom of the Mariana Trench, to pristine glaciers in the Arctic.

A comment made by an army general in Indonesia, where the army was called in to try and collect plastic trash is very true: "It is easy to pickup the trash, the problem is changing the mentality of the population that are dumping it"!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bmbn47

Our blue planet is facing one its biggest threats in human history. Trillions of pieces of plastic are choking the very lifeblood of our earth, and every marine animal, from the smallest plankton to the largest mammals, is being affected. But can we turn back this growing plastic tide before it is too late? In this 90-minute special, wildlife biologist Liz Bonnin visits scientists working at the cutting edge of plastics research. She works with some of the world's leading marine biologists and campaigners to discover the true dangers of plastic in our oceans and what it means for the future of all life on our planet, including us.

Liz travels 10,000 miles to a remote island off the coast of Australia that is the nesting site for a population of seabirds called flesh-footed shearwaters. Newly hatched chicks are unable to regurgitate effectively, so they are filling up on deadly plastic. Then, in America, she joins an emergency mission to save an entangled grey seal pup found in some of the world's busiest fishing areas, and visits the Coral Triangle that stretches from Papua New Guinea to the Solomon Islands to find out more from top coral scientists trying to work out why plastic is so lethal to the reefs, fragile ecosystems that contain 25 per cent of all marine life.

Liz learns that the world's biggest rivers have been turned into huge plastic arteries, transporting 50 per cent of all the plastic that arrives in the ocean. She travels to Indonesia, where she watches a horrifying raft of plastic rubbish travel down one of the main rivers, the Citarum. Here, 60 per cent of fish species have died, so fishermen are now forced to collect plastic to sell instead of fish.

With the world only now waking up to this emerging crisis, Liz also looks at whether scientists have found any solutions. She meets the 24-year-old inventor of a monumental 600-metre construction that will travel across the ocean's 'garbage patches' collecting millions of pieces of plastic pollution. She also meets a local environmental campaigner who is working with volunteers and the Indonesian army to clean up the worst affected areas, and a young entrepreneur who has invented an alternative to plastic packaging that is made from seaweed. Plastic in our oceans is one of the greatest environmental challenges of our time, and this film hopes to add to the urgent and vitally important debate about how to solve this global crisis.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ That's playing now on BBC Earth, TRUE channel 663. I don't know the schedule but it's been on in episodes over the past week so assume it will repeat several times this month.

Correction on the channel, it's TRUE 568