House Cost to Build

Ask here about the pleasures and pitfalls of buying, selling or renting property and real estate in Hua Hin. Building, design and construction topics welcome. Commercial or promotional posts for real estate companies or private properties are forbidden.
bigston
Professional
Professional

House Cost to Build

Post by bigston »

Does anyone have some recent experience, or have an idea ,of what would be a fair cost per SQ M to build a modest 3 bedroom pool villa
in the "mid range " to "better " quality of construction

Thanks
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Re: House Cost to Build

Post by laphanphon »

Been talking to 2 builders recently, and one was 9k, the other 15 ish k m². That's PKK municipality, not HH

Looked at a couple builds of each, and no noticeable difference. This time, mixed block, super / cinder / red, and rolled steel roof.

Last house I had built, Udon Thani, all super block, rolled steel roof, was about 10k m², 8 yrs ago. Actually quite the bargain, as expandable, with 400+ m² under roof, although 160 m², what I consider living space, and full walled, plus an additional 60 m² half wall, outdoor 'Thai' kitchen.

Both having or will have, modern kitchen, cabinets & such. Next, new one, less so on kitchen appliances.

Moo Bans / developments will probably be more than the 15 ish k m²..... and up. Everyone that I've priced i the past has been. Actually silly prices

I find condos to be even sillier priced. Worthy their own thread to cry about.... :cheers:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’m having a house built now and expect it to cost about 30,000 sq. m - that includes the perimeter concrete wall. The house is 200 sq. m and the land about 900 sq. m

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

30k/sqm will get your a good standard of construction...bear in mind its the construction underground thats most important.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

JW wrote:30k/sqm will get your a good standard of construction...bear in mind its the construction underground thats most important.
True - and getting a good Builder/developer!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

JW wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:52 am 30k/sqm will get your a good standard of construction...bear in mind its the construction underground thats most important.
I should keep away from this as it really irks me. It is ridiculous to quote a per square meter price for a structure such as a house, that has so many variables. It may be possible to build four walls and a roof from basic materials for 10k / sq. metre, but it is also possible to use floor tiles that cost 800 Baht / sq. metre, or even each!

Build a steel framed shed, concrete floor, metal roof and you can work out EXACTLY how much the material will cost, plus however much somebody QUOTES you to erect it, but NOT a house. A swimming pool, yes because again all the materials can be priced before hand. A freestanding boundary wall can also be calculated per metre as the materials are easily priced. :?
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I should keep away from this as it really irks me. It is ridiculous to quote a per square meter price for a structure such as a house, that has so many variables. It may be possible to build four walls and a roof from basic materials for 10k / sq. metre, but it is also possible to use floor tiles that cost 800 Baht / sq. metre, or even each!
But this is exactly what Thai builders do, they quote you a price per square meter. My house, some years ago, was built at 10,000bt/m3 for a house complete with basic bathroom furniture, decorating and tiling. The builder told you how much he would pay for tiles and if you wanted something better, he just added the difference to the final price.
It surprised me that it was done that way but it seems to be the normal way of doing things in Thailand, I suppose if you build enough houses, you can average out the costing for simplicity and if you lose a bit on one house, you make it back on another.
musungu
Professional
Professional

Post by musungu »

I had quite a high spec completed for 17K excluding the outside walls and kitchen and no pool This was my third house and prices have risen from 12K to 14K. As a matter of interest a European company quoted double the final cost. The final result was excellent
Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

This is my second build and in both cases I have agreed a fixed price for the labour and I pay for all the materials. So where there’s a choice on finish, it’s my decision whether to go for low, medium or top quality, with prices to match.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Yes, it will depend on the builder. 1st house, FIL was the builder, and quite good, as built most things in the village. Went with him, and a basic, inexpensive build, of very good quality.

2nd house, he wasn't available, along with some thing, beyond his expertise. The builder's contract will / should have his cost break down allowances for all items, not steel & concrete or block, though we'd specify which block, as they do come in different grades. How much for tile, lighting fixtures, doors, etc etc etc, would be the variables.

Actually builder's quote was very close to what we picked out to use in most instance, IF a good builder. Some things we picked were actually cheaper, some more expensive, so he balanced up the difference at end of contract, or more like, simply moved around. Say he had 20k for tile, and we came in at 18k, then moved the 2k for tile to ceiling allowance, as we came in higher for that or something else. Doors, bath fixtures, windows, and all you can think of, we picked out ourselves. I think in the end it balances out rather even.

Current builder, probably the one we'll go with, doing the same, and even gave us the option of simply supplying the labor. 350k for the build, and we buy everything from scratch to finish from the appropriate suppliers, taking complete control, and simply contracting the labor only, which she'll oversee.

Personally can't be bothered, or know the few suppliers in the area to do that, and doubt if her 'mark up / commission' is worth me banging my head against the wall vs the discount she probably gets, vs my walk in price.

Considering the other builder we queried is almost 2X the price for same build, she seems not nearly as profit oriented as the other, and constantly busy for a reason. :cheers:
bigston
Professional
Professional

Post by bigston »

Thanks to all for your experience and insight
Appreciated