24 men arrested for violent disruption of entrance exam

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... rance-exam

Police arrested 24 men early on Monday morning for allegedly breaking into Mathayomwatsing School in Bangkok, injuring people and disrupting a university admission examination there on Sunday.

The suspects, aged 18-41 years, face charges of trespassing on government property, destruction of government property and physical assault. Some also face sexual harassment charges brought by people at the school.

The arrests follow an incident at the secondary school on Ekachai Road in Bang Khunthian district on Sunday afternoon.
A group of men, reportedly under the influence of alcohol, from an ordination ceremony at a house nearby, forced their way into the premises after becoming annoyed by the school management's request to turn down the loudspeakers because the sound was disturbing students sitting the entrance exam.

Twelve people were reported injured - the director of the secondary school, teachers, other staff and students. Some of them, schoolgirls and teachers, were allegedly sexually harassed.

Pol Col Krisana Patanacharoen, deputy police spokesman, said more arrests were likely.

National police chief Pol Gen Chakthip Chaijinda viewed the incident as serious, and police commanders were ordered to prevent such incidents in future, Pol Col Krisana said.

.............................................................................................
https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/1634382/

Men raid school to disrupt exam after loud noise complaint

A group of young men raided a school while students were taking a university admissions exam, injuring a security guard and damaging a room.

Pol Col Luesak Damnoensawas, the Bang Khunthian police station chief, told Daily News Online about an unknown number of men entered Matthayom Wat Sing School in Bangkok's Bang Khuntian district around 3pm and disrupted the GAT/PAT tests for students seeking university placements.

The school is a venue for the nationwide tests.

On Sunday morning, the school had asked people in a nearby house to tone down the loud noises coming from a ceremony to mark a man's entry into the monkhood, saying the noise was disturbing students taking the tests, according to the @Kanyayoei Twitter account apparently belonging to one of the students.

During the afternoon, several men entered the school and ordered students taking the test to leave the room, disrupting the test for about 30 minutes, @Kanyayoei tweeted. Several students and teachers were threatened or harassed, according to the tweet.

Pictures posted on the Red Skull Facebook account showed an injured security guard and damaged desks in one of the rooms.

Pol Col Luesak said police were collecting evidence to pursue the perpetrators.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: 24 men arrested for violent disruption of entrance exam

Post by handdrummer »

"Police Commanders were ordered to prevent such incidents in the future."

Are they going to station officers in the schools or wiggle their fingers at the perpetrators and tell them that they're being bad boys?

I wonder if the future monk took part in the melee?
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

PM irate over assault at school test

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... chool-test

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has urged police to speed up their probe into a melee that erupted on Sunday when a group of men injured and sexually harassed students at a school in Chom Thong district.

The men, some of whom were reportedly inebriated, were apparently angered by a request from teachers to turn off their loudspeakers so as not to disturb exam takers at Bangkok's Mathayomwatsing School.

They were believed to have been participating in an ordination cere­mony at Wat Sing, a nearby temple, at the time.
"I want law enforcers involved in this to expedite the investigation to deal with this group of offenders seriously," Gen Prayut said in a Facebook post Monday.

Twelve people were injured including the director of the secondary school, teachers, other staff and students.
Some 24 suspects aged 18 to 41 are being detained for various charges including trespassing on and destruction of government property, physical assault and sexual harassment.

Arrest warrants were expected for another five or six suspects, said Pol Lt Gen Suwat Chaengyodsuk, an assistant national police chief who is overseeing the investigation.

Mathayomwatsing, which is adjacent to a Buddhist temple on Ekachai Road in Bang Khunthian district, was organising a General Aptitude Test (GAT) and Professional and Academic Aptitude Test (PAT) when the scuffle broke out.
A total of 248 students were taking the tests at the time.

The examiners ended up giving them an additional 30 minutes to complete their exams after the intruders were cleared out.
However, as one student put it afterwards, "Who would still have been able to concentrate on their test after that?"
"If the test results come out worse than I expected, I won't be able to go to the university I want," the student added, declining to give their name.

National Institute of Educational Testing Service chief Sirida Burachat said the agency planned to reschedule the exams for March 5 at the same school between 1pm and 4pm.
The decision came after 12 students were unable to finish the test.

One hit a student with a table and then punched him while another tried to sexually assault a female student, according to witnesses.

The 12 students will be allowed to re-sit it. Other students will be given a chance to re-sit or chance their luck with their original exam score. Officials have given them until this Thursday to decide.
"All of the exam takers will be given fair treatment," Ms Sirida said.

Police said they were questioning all suspects.
Pol Gen Chaloemkiat Siworakhan, the deputy national police chief, said investigators were taking the alleged sexual offence very seriously.

"One man held me against a wall and kissed me," said the female student, adding she could smell alcohol on his breath.
"He told me to be his wife. I just stood there trembling," she added.

The 2008 Alcoholic Beverage Control Act explicitly states that drinking is not allowed at temples or other religious venues, meaning the suspects could face more charges, said Songkran Parkchokdee from the Stop Drink Network.
...................................................................................................................
Stick the lot of them in the Army's "attitude adjustment" camp for a couple of months. Buddhists' indeed! :guns:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

School rampage hints at wider breakdown

https://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opi ... -breakdown

Is the law still relevant in today's Thailand? The answer to this question is probably more pressing than the much-anticipated one about who the next prime minister will be.

The incident on Sunday, in which a group of men stormed into a school on the outskirts of Bangkok and reportedly attacked its director and teachers, while harassing some of the students, after they had asked them to turn down the volume at their next-door event, has brought the question into many people's minds.

This suburban hullabaloo is disturbing at many levels.

First, the students were taking a university admission examination, a crucial step for the youngsters who were presumably trying to concentrate and deliver their best scores.

Second, the attack, which reportedly left 12 people injured, was at a primary school, a place which should always be a safe zone, no matter what.

Third, the group of men who forced their way into the school and went on the rampage, reportedly beating up people at will to vent their anger, had come from a nearby ordination ceremony.

The sacred and the profane? How can the two switch so instantly? What is even more bewildering is that the group of people who were supposed to act in a reserved manner on a solemn occasion were reportedly under the influence of alcohol.

Police on Monday arrested 24 men, aged between 18-41, for trespassing on, and destroying, government property and physical assault. Some may also face sexual harassment charges as per accusations by some female students.

The incident may not be "serious" in terms of damage to human life and property, but psychologically it seems to have shaken many people and disrupted their sense of security.

For one thing, Sunday exams versus ordination ceremonies provides yet another case of conflicting rights among increasingly diverse groups of people.

Remember the case of a temple bell and complaint from a nearby resident? The controversy ended peacefully after the temple's abbot agreed to soften the tolling of the bell during the wee hours of the morning while the condominium's administrator apologised for the complaint.

But a happy ending is a rare one. In reality, there are no clear rules or guidelines about what the acceptable levels of noise are that people or organisations can make in public, at what time and under what circumstances.

After all, the law only says that those who make noise without due cause which alarms or disturbs other people may be subject to a fine of no more than 1,000 baht.

Can an ordination ceremony be cited as reason enough to make some noise? How do we define what level of noise may alarm, or disturb, people?

Back to the school attack, what has driven people's anger even further than the blatant flouting of the law, or drunken debauchery during what should have been a sacred Buddhist ceremony, is the self-righteous claim by one of the event's hosts.

According to news reports, the host and other ordination ceremony attendees claimed that they had the right to make noise. An ordination ceremony is boisterous by nature, they said.

Besides, they said they had already paid 20,000 baht for a band to perform during the procession. It would have been a waste if they were not allowed to turn up the volume and enjoy the celebration, which might be a once-in-a-lifetime event.

While the school rampage and violence against its personnel are inexcusable, is noise made during a special event, as argued by the ordination ceremony's host, permitted under the law?

Or traditions? Another equally pertinent question is why a rowdy procession, complete with a marching band and dancers on some occasions, has become an integral part of an ordination ceremony? Is it really a Buddhist tradition that we should follow?

In the end, what is most shocking about the school attack is the fact that the marauders seemed to have little or no regard at all for the law or legal consequences. That they might have been drunk is no excuse.

Consider the outrageous Sunday incident together with a young man stabbed to death by a rival school member, motorcyclists driving on pavements, taxis continuing to refuse passengers despite warnings from the land transport department, and taxi drivers attacking Grab drivers, and we begin to see a pattern of ordinary people either flouting the law because it is no longer practical or applicable to them, or taking it into their own hands.

The shock factor of the school trespass and brawling will fade away after a day or two. The increasing lawlessness that the incident has shown, however, should make a more profound impression.
Would you buy a car from this man?
Would you buy a car from this man?
c1_1635210_190226043546_620x413.jpg (48.99 KiB) Viewed 984 times
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Finally, the myth of peaceful Buddhism is being shown for the myth that it is. It happened in Myanmar with the Buddhists and Rohingya's, it goes on India between the Buddhists and the Hindus. Maybe the only place that peaceful Buddhism exists is in the West. Now, there's some irony for you.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

What a load of Bovine Ordure! The idiots should be locked up without any chance of parole.
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….
Suspended jail for ordination-goers who raided school

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... ded-school

The Thon Buri Criminal Court has sentenced 16 men to suspended prison terms for raiding a school where students were sitting exams and assaulting people there after a complaint about the noise at a nearby ordination ceremony.

The court found the 16 defendants guilty of the violent intrusion at Mathayomwatsing School in Bang Khunthian district, and causing injury to 15 students and teachers, on Feb 24.

Charges against six other defendants were dismissed because of lack of evidence against them.

The convicted defendants were given jail terms varying from two months to 19 years and three months in total, depending on their part in the intrusion. They were also ordered to pay from 35,400 baht to 56,142 baht in compensation to the school and people they injured. The longest sentence of 19 years and three months was for Ekkaluck Poonsap, 26.

The court then suspended all the prison terms for two years.

The defendants burst into the school while students were sitting GAT/PAT tests for university entrance.

The intrusion followed a complaint from the school sent to nearby Wat Sing in the morning that the noise from an ordination ceremony was disturbing the exams.

That afternoon, a group of men who were attending the ordination celebration went to the school, forced their way inside and assaulted some exam-takers and supervisors in the rooms.

The tests were briefly disrupted and the supervisors decided to extend the test for another 30 minutes.

Many of the students later re-sat the tests.
c1_1761844_190930180509.jpg
c1_1761844_190930180509.jpg (131.42 KiB) Viewed 798 times
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

This story is about 2 yrs.old.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

handdrummer wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:31 pm This story is about 2 yrs.old.
Not sure how you can get 2 years old out of something that happened in February of this year. Maybe you can advise us about the maths involved?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The BKK Post story was published today along with all the other stories going back to the original post in February. Where did the 2 years come from?
JayTee
Amateur
Amateur

Post by JayTee »

HHTel wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:34 pm The BKK Post story was published today along with all the other stories going back to the original post in February. Where did the 2 years come from?
Well, hand-drumming does add years to the fingers, I presume :roll:
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

The last 8 months have seemed like 2 yrs. Last Thursday, alone, felt like a month. I apologize for my mistake and shall try, in the future, not to incur the wrath of citizens wronged.
musungu
Professional
Professional

Post by musungu »

handdrummer wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:37 pm The last 8 months have seemed like 2 yrs. Last Thursday, alone, felt like a month. I apologize for my mistake and shall try, in the future, not to incur the wrath of citizens wronged.
As we get to and past retirement the days months seem to fly by - perhaps less hand movement might solve the problem
for you.
Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

musungu wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:09 am
handdrummer wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:37 pm The last 8 months have seemed like 2 yrs. Last Thursday, alone, felt like a month. I apologize for my mistake and shall try, in the future, not to incur the wrath of citizens wronged.
As we get to and past retirement the days months seem to fly by - perhaps less hand movement might solve the problem
for you.
I can and do limit my hand movements on the computer, not on my drums. Other than that, I have a wife, so my hand movement in that area is nil.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.

I certainly have no desire to prolong my days and I do use my time to enhance my life. But there are interruptions, such as Immigration and the banking follies.